Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 10 Jun 2012 (Sunday) 02:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Feedback on this wedding shot, please!

RangersForever
302 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 10, 2012 02:22 |  #1

A couple I know are getting married in a few months and requested I do a wedding photo shoot with them in a local park this weekend. I took this photograph and I just don't know if it works!!! Too bright behind the bride? Thoughts?

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/0vY1ul.jpg

Scotland Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links
cpam.pix
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 10, 2012 04:16 |  #2

White balance seems to be off a bit. She looks a bit green to me.
She's looking off-camera a bit....I'd prefer he to be engaged with the lens. You captured a great smile, fun/playfulness, expression...excellent​!

The background...just depends on preferences. You've got a wide range from dark to light and that poses problems.

1D-III with stuff to stick on it:
70-200L, 28-70L, 24-105L, 300L, 50, 10-17 fish, 2.0x TC
Image editing OK, encouraged, and expected. Thank you for helping me learn!

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 10, 2012 07:29 |  #3

Yeah, green to me, too. I guess it works, but dark backgrounds are better than bright ones if you can arrange for it. I might have framed it so that she was a bit more off center to show more of the foreground element, but it's a cute shot of a pretty girl with a fun expression.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

mirrorrim
87 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 10, 2012 08:16 as a reply to  @ Peacefield's post |  #4

I think the hand looks a bit awkward. How does it look in black and white, or desaturated just a bit? It's a bit yellow to me. But her expression is great.

pixidance
297 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 10, 2012 20:28 |  #5

Aside from the white balance being off, I think it's a cute photo. The composition is a bit awkward too. I'd have preferred to see more of the foreground as well.

I do think that you captured a great moment. Her smile is beautiful and genuine. I actually like the bright background, but I think that's more a matter of personal taste than technicals.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pixidance/ (external link)
Canon T1i and 50 f/1.4

davisphotos
190 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 10, 2012 20:50 |  #6

It seems you have a good connection with the bride, which is incredibly important. Two things about the photo aren't working. The color, as mentioned, is very green. And her eyes are quite dark. It would benefit from some lightening, or if you were to take it again, some fill flash to lighten the shadows and add some sparkle to her eyes.

Maine Wedding Photographer Andrew Davis (external link)
New England Commercial Photography (external link)
Andrew Davis Photography Blog (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 10, 2012 20:59 |  #7

Too bright behind, too dark on face, color cast. Overall though I like it, just needs processing, maybe B&W, and some selective brightening and darkening.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 11, 2012 16:45 |  #8

Fixing the color cast on her skin and dress would make it so, so much better.

If that's a white wedding dress, you can use it as a starting point for your neutral reference. Use the WB eyedropper tool in Lightroom or Photoshop, and pick a spot on the front dress that's not blown out (i.e. not the right shoulder where the sun is hitting).

That'll tone down the green in the bamboo quite a bit, but after color balancing, you could probably bring up the saturation and tweak the hue on just the green channel to restore color to the trees. Failing that, do a couple of layers in Photoshop, and mask one with the "Select color range" tool so that you can tweak the green trees independently of the whole photo.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Guari
200 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 11, 2012 16:54 |  #9

Bamboo leafs on her turn me off

Lovely smile

My blog (external link)
My FB page (external link)

RangersForever
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 12, 2012 02:22 |  #10

Hi guys, thanks for all the feedback.

I actually changed the white balance to this style as it's my favored way to present a wedding photograph. Kinda my "style"

I turned on image editing so please make it look like you think it should if you have a spare five minutes. I'm intrigued as to how the different ways it will come out from different photographers!

Thanks!

Scotland Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links

1,876 views & 0 likes for this thread
Feedback on this wedding shot, please!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.