Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 Jun 2012 (Sunday) 09:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-105mm f/4 L needs +20 Micro Adjust. Send to Canon?

pstyle1
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 10, 2012 09:01 |  #1

Hi All,

First post!

I recently got back into DSLR photography after a few years off. Just picked up a used (but pretty new, only 6 months old and 2500 clicks) 5D2 and the accompanying 24-105mm. Lens is a UZ06xx which if I'm right means it was manufactured in June 2011.

I took it out for a shoot and came home to some pretty disappointing results (everything was very very soft). After some research I found out it's a pretty common issue and to correct it with AF microadjust.

Long story short, a micro adjustment of +20 is giving me the best results, but that also leaves me wondering if it would be even better if the camera could adjust to more than +/- 20. Luckily I'm getting good results across the entire focal range with +20.

I currently live in Sydney Australia and there is a Canon service center in town. Should I take the lens in for service/calibration? If the adjustment needed was say +/- 10 I would be ok with it, but since I had to MA all the way to the end of the spectrum it makes me wonder. How much can I expect to pay for a calibration? Maybe I could even have it done free since it's so extreme?

I'll attach a 100% center crop of 0 and +20 MA. The focus point is on the "5". Shot at 70mm, 3.5m from the target. Tripod, remote release.

Also, is this the "fault" of the lens or can the camera have something to do with this as well?

Thanks!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5D MkIII x2 + a lot of L's.
www.facebook.com/Peyma​nRazaviPhotography (external link)

sponsored links
artyH
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 10, 2012 09:09 |  #2

Have you tried the lens of a focus target at various focal lengths? This seems a bit off.
I wonder why the original owner would sell after such a short time.

pstyle1
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 10, 2012 09:16 |  #3

Yes I tried it at several focal lengths, all being really soft at 0.
Bought both cam and lens from same seller. He was a videographer with two 5D2's, so probably never used AF anyway. Was selling to fund a 70-200 L IS 2.8.

S.E.V.
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.
3,866 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 10, 2012 11:05 |  #4

I think it would help to send both the camera and lens to canon to have them set them back to factory specs. +20 is pretty high, if it was +10 not so much even my 1d3 and 500mm back from canon I still have it set to +5 with the 1.4xTC on it and all three went to canon at the same time.

ShotsInTime (external link) / Gear List /Flickr (external link) / Canon Family Portrait (external link)
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Skul
92 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 10, 2012 11:16 |  #5

If possible, I would try to borrow another similar lens, or even a different one.
That way you kind of assess if you have a body or lens problem.
If the service center takes walk-ins, you might be able to consult with someone about your problem.

sol95
661 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 10, 2012 11:18 |  #6

I would take the lens and body into Canon at Nth Ryde and have them check it out. But before you do so, check to see if it's under warranty. I was under the wrong impression that grey-import lenses were covered by an international warranty, but that situation changed late last year

Bodies: 5D mk III
Lenses: 50 f/1.2L | 85 f/1.2L II | 100 f/2.8L IS Macro | 17-40 f/4.0L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
Accessories: 430EX II | TC-80N3 M43: Olympus E-PM1 | Olympus m.Zuiko 14-42 II R | Panasonic 14 f/2.5 | Panasonic 20 f/1.8 | Olympus m.Zuiko 45 f/1.8

pstyle1
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 11, 2012 08:23 |  #7

Will try to take it to Canon tomorrow.

Anyone else had a similar issue with this lens?

John ­ E
Goldmember
1,025 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 11, 2012 08:40 |  #8

I would definitely have it calibrated as it looks soft. My 24-105 is tack sharp, even at f/4 100%. The only issue with my lens is that it needs different micro-adjustments at different lenghts: -5 @ 24mm, 0 @75mm, +5 @ 105mm. Unfortunately I'm not able to make different micro-adjustments on the 5DII so I just leave it at zero and seems to do just fine.

John Elser
Canon 5D MK II; 30D; EF 85 f/1.8; EF 70-200L f/2.8 IS II; EF 24-105L f/4; EF 135L f/2; EF 24-70L; Canon 580 EX II(x3).

snowblower
123 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 11, 2012 08:51 |  #9

The lens might be off (probably) but something might be wrong with the body too. I would take both in and let them check them together so you have the best chance of getting a positive result. If you have other lenses you will be using on this 5D I would take them in too. I had an issue with my 24-70 f2.8 and I sent my 7D + all my lenses in, everything came back sharp and clear. It was like every lens was made for that camera. I was very pleased with the results.

Canon 1D-X Mk II | Canon 1D-X | Canon 5DIII |Canon 8-15 F4L Fisheye | Canon 16-35 F2.8L | Canon 24-70 F2.8L II | Canon 35 F1.4L II | Canon 50 F1.2L | Canon 85 F1.2L II | Canon 70-200 F2.8L II IS | Canon 400 f2.8L | Canon 200-400 f4 IS Extender 1.4xL | Canon 800 F5.6L | Speed Light 600 EX II x6

pstyle1
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 12, 2012 02:52 |  #10

Took the camera and lens to Canon.

The tech checked out the camera and lens. Said +20 is still within acceptable range and the lens is fine, but would calibrate it for $93 AUD. Since I'm happy with the results at +20, I decided to keep my $93.

I did get the camera cleaned and sensor cleaned since there was some dust on the sensor which cost $68 AUD.

Thanks for the replies.

marcosv
775 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 12, 2012 07:30 |  #11

One easy test: Setup a tripod and stationary subject(s) in a such a way to reveal any focus shift. Take a picture with AF. Then manually adjust focus using live view and see if you get something more in focus at a different setting. If manual focus results in more accurate focus than AF and it points to a MAF setting greater than 20, you got a problem.

Also, you are calibrating a zoom lens. I wonder if the limitation +20 is fine at both ends of the zoom range.

What sort of MAF settings are you getting with the rest of your lens? Are you confident that your camera body is not at the extreme edge of the acceptable range?

Personally at +20, I'd see about calibrating lens and maybe body to get a value less than that.

EOS-M | 40D | 5DII | 5DIII | EF-M 22 | EF-M 18-55 | 10-22 | 17-55 | 17-40L | 24-70L mk II | 24-105L | 70-200/2.8L IS mk II| 35L | 85L II |35/2 | 40/2.8 pancake | 50/1.8 | 50/1.4 | 100/2 | Rokinon 14/2.8 | 90 EX | 270 EX II | 580 EXII | 600 EX-RT

pstyle1
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 12, 2012 10:33 |  #12

Thanks, will try your suggestion.

I haven't done extensive testing so see if some lengths benefit from less than +20 , but +20 definitely clears things up throughout the range.

As the 24-105mm is my only lens at the moment, I won't be able to tell if the body is off. The tech didn't seem to think that was an issue, but maybe he was just being dismissive. Will have to wait until I get my hands on another lens, but for now I am content.

sponsored links

4,453 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-105mm f/4 L needs +20 Micro Adjust. Send to Canon?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.