Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 10 Jun 2012 (Sunday) 11:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need some settings suggestions for a night shoot

GTT
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 10, 2012 11:33 |  #1

Using an S95
No experience with night shots.

Here is the deal.

My wife is an Artist and was selected to have images of her art shown with others and they are to be projected onto a wall of water starting at dusk. I have no idea what the lighting conditions will be like in this park tonight. Probably will start of with enough light at beginning and then as dusk is over be quite dark.

Not sure about low light mode but as it is all auto with a very high ISO doubt it would be correct to use.

Not sure if the water will come into play and show a blur under slow shutter speed.

Any suggestions for settings as a starting point?

sponsored links
etaf
Goldmember
1,221 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 10, 2012 11:59 |  #2

My wife is an Artist and was selected to have images of her art shown with others and they are to be projected onto a wall of water starting at dusk. I have no idea what the lighting conditions will be like in this park tonight. Probably will start of with enough light at beginning and then as dusk is over be quite dark.

congratulations - I bet that will look spectacular
to your question , this at least shows a wall of water and maybe something to try and practice without the flash use
http://www.diyphotogra​phy.net …-through-a-water-wall-but (external link)

60D | EF-S 18-200 | 50mm 2.5 macro | 550EX | Pro1 | Elements

GTT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 10, 2012 12:05 |  #3

etaf wrote in post #14558794 (external link)
congratulations - I bet that will look spectacular
to your question , this at least shows a wall of water and maybe something to try and practice without the flash use
http://www.diyphotogra​phy.net …-through-a-water-wall-but (external link)

Thanks for that link, but with 8 hours until showtime it will not help.

Some of those photos are very creative and worth a look.

etaf
Goldmember
1,221 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 10, 2012 12:18 |  #4

but with 8 hours until showtime it will not help.

OK

are you going to be able to use a tripod at all - ?

can you set auto ISO on the camera at all and you wont need to much of a aperture as its a flatish subject
can you shoot in raw so you have a chance for some post processing ?

how far away will you be and what size is the wall ?

GTT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 10, 2012 12:33 |  #5

etaf wrote in post #14558860 (external link)
OK

are you going to be able to use a tripod at all - ?

can you set auto ISO on the camera at all and you wont need to much of a aperture as its a flatish subject
can you shoot in raw so you have a chance for some post processing ?

how far away will you be and what size is the wall ?

Tripod yes but if I want to get close I might have to hand shoot.
ISO can be set to auto or fixed 80-3200 I believe
I usually shoot in both raw and jpg, raw not available on full auto.
Have no idea how far away we will be but hopefully it will be like 50 ft or so at most.

Don't know the exact size but it is quite large based on the limited info provided.

Sorry the info is limited but it is a first event and those running it haven't provided a great deal of info.

etaf
Goldmember
1,221 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 10, 2012 12:56 |  #6

i would first start at the highest ISO, on the body where you know the noise would be acceptable and then see what range of shutter speed i get at a reasonable aperture for a good DoF
and then play all three and just take lots of shots - if you have high speed drive speed , and do you have bracketing available - that may be worth a try
how long is it running for

hnikesch
Goldmember
1,133 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 10, 2012 17:37 |  #7

You say the images will be projected outdoors at night on falling water, the images should look like they were projected on a screen, I have seen this in Vegas. If you under expose about 2stops you should be able to hand hold and get both the projected image and the surrounding area. Do a little trial and error to fine tune the exposure. I got some good shots using my SD 900 hand held at about ISO 500. I am sure the 95 will do better

Hans

Hans
It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. Canon S100 w/CHDK, SD990 w/CHDK, SD900 w/CHDK, Pentax K30, & Kr, Pentax Q7 Flickr: (external link)

etaf
Goldmember
1,221 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 11, 2012 03:42 |  #8

post a few images , looking forward to seeing the results

GTT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 11, 2012 08:33 as a reply to  @ etaf's post |  #9

Hey everyone thanks for the help. Turned out we got thrown a curve and it was impossible with my S95 to get any decent photos. The site for the water screen was placed across a river about 80 yards away and being only 30ft wide and 15ft high was hard enough to see with the naked eye. We had understand it was going to be set up on a amphitheater next to the river and only about 50-100 ft from viewing area.

I took a picture of the screen in daylight using my cameras full digital zoom 15x so people can see what the screen was. When seen at night had we been closer I believe the images would not have been as sharp as I first thought because even from a distance I could see fine vertical lines in the waterflow.

Night wasn't a total bust as it was a hot day and there was food, music and friends to visit with plus the shows producers learned a valuable lesson for next time.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/22760340@N07/ (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Content warning: script

sponsored links

1,277 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need some settings suggestions for a night shoot
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.