Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Jun 2012 (Sunday) 20:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yet another Light VS Light thread..

Shamir
508 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 10, 2012 20:52 |  #1

Evening friends!

I'm an Alien Bees user with a 400 and 800 lights.
Right now i'm in the process of expanding my studio and was wondering if it was worth switching to the dark side photogenic strobes or sticking to this bumblebees!

Is there any advantages into photogenic lights? :rolleyes:

I need 5 or 6 monolights with soft boxes and light stands.

Let me know what you guys think! :oops:

Shamir
My Website - Click Here (external link)

sponsored links
Shamir
THREAD ­ STARTER
508 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 10, 2012 20:53 |  #2

I asked the same at twitter.. lets see what others think as well! (external link)

Shamir

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,279 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 11, 2012 13:56 |  #3

Way, way back (1990s) I witnessed a 'shoot out' conducted by a retailer at a trade show in Chicago, comparing a White Lightning 750 vs. a Photogenic 600 (if I remember the model numbers back then). By the model numbers one would conclude that the WL as the more powerful unit. In all aspects of the multiple tests, the Photogenic surpassed the WL.
Unfortunately I have not seen a shoot out using current models from both vendors, so I cannot state anything about the comparative benefit of one over the other.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 11, 2012 14:00 |  #4

Shamir wrote in post #14560472 (external link)
Evening friends!

I'm an Alien Bees user with a 400 and 800 lights.
Right now i'm in the process of expanding my studio and was wondering if it was worth switching to the dark side photogenic strobes or sticking to this bumblebees!

Is there any advantages into photogenic lights? :rolleyes:

I need 5 or 6 monolights with soft boxes and light stands.

Let me know what you guys think! :oops:

Is there anything that the AB's aren't able to do for you now that the Photogenic lights would?

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

Wilt
44,279 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 11, 2012 14:11 |  #5

The Powerlight offers

• digital control of power levels, to 0.1 EV control; AB use •stepless slider which is not easily precisely repeatable.
  • 250w modelling light vs. 150w max modelling light on AB
  • PL1250 1/1300 sec. duration even at max 500 w-s power, vs. 1/600 duration AB1600 (640 w-s) or AB800 1/1100 (320 w-s)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 11, 2012 14:55 |  #6

If you are setting up a studio I would strongly recommend lights that can be remotely controlled for power, on/off, etc.

With PCB that means Einstein and Cyber Commander, Elinchrom, Profoto also offer similar options.

Einstein has the advantage of IGBT power control.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 11, 2012 15:14 |  #7

Wilt wrote in post #14563978 (external link)
The Powerlight offers
  • digital control of power levels, to 0.1 EV control; AB use •stepless slider which is not easily precisely repeatable.
  • 250w modelling light vs. 150w max modelling light on AB
  • PL1250 1/1300 sec. duration even at max 500 w-s power, vs. 1/600 duration AB1600 (640 w-s) or AB800 1/1100 (320 w-s)

I understand that the different equipment would indeed have different features/specs. My question was more to ask if there was something specific that the OP was trying to do with the AB's that he couldn't due to performance limitations.

Basically looking at the situation in terms of... if the AB's are meeting the needs, and the idea is to upgrade simply because "there is something better".... Based on the information above, does the OP need 0.1EV control of his lights? Do you need a stronger modeling light or faster flash duration?

Sure, I'd love some pro quality strobes... but as a hobbist I don't yet have a need for them ;)

Shamir
THREAD ­ STARTER
508 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 11, 2012 15:16 |  #8

drvnbysound wrote in post #14563927 (external link)
Is there anything that the AB's aren't able to do for you now that the Photogenic lights would?

Light is light.. And I know they are both great brands, however, I feel like I get more options to play with and better build quality with photogenic...

I've never used one in my studio, so I really can't say if it is well worth the money over ABs

Shamir

Wilt
44,279 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 11, 2012 15:18 |  #9

drvnbysound wrote in post #14564269 (external link)
I understand that the different equipment would indeed have different features/specs. My question was more to ask if there was something specific that the OP was trying to do with the AB's that he couldn't due to performance limitations.

Basically looking at the situation in terms of... if the AB's are meeting the needs, and the idea is to upgrade simply because "there is something better".... Based on the information above, does the OP need 0.1EV control of his lights? Do you need a stronger modeling light or faster flash duration?

Sure, I'd love some pro quality strobes... but as a hobbist I don't yet have a need for them ;)

I will offer counterpoint...

• If the modelling light is so weak as to not to make a visible difference while setting lights in an environment with bright ambient light (e.g. coming in thru the bay window), you need a stronger modelling light.
  • If you cannot set lights consistently because of a slider, even to within 0.3EV, you need better control.
  • If you are shooting indoor sports with your light at full power and 1/600 isn't quite fast enough, you need a light with faster duration
:)

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 11, 2012 15:38 |  #10

Absolutely... those are the points that I would deliver to my wife :)

I've posted in other threads now regarding the 600EX-RT's and I'd really like to sell my existing speedlites and upgrade, but my consideration is... do I really NEED the built-in RF trigger or the in-camera control? The honest answer is no... I dont need them. I could continue to shoot manually and walk over to my strobes and adjust power manually, just as others have forever. I am not limited by the optical system because I have CyberSync triggers... but would they be WONDERFUL to have? Absolutely! Do I think I'm going to upgrade anyway - probably so ;)

The question here just made me think about a conversation that I watched between Zack Arias and another photographer about buying gear... among other topics, they discussed those who upgrade just because there is something better available, and those who upgrade because they have reached a point where the gear was actually limiting them... I will have to find that video later and post the link.

Wilt
44,279 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 11, 2012 15:55 |  #11

No different than "which is better, a VW Passat or a Porsche 911?...do I need to sell my VW for a Porsche?"

A: Yes I do, if I need brakes that can stop me from 100-0, in 300' rather than 380'

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 11, 2012 16:29 |  #12

Wilt wrote in post #14564452 (external link)
No different than "which is better, a VW Passat or a Porsche 911?...do I need to sell my VW for a Porsche?"

A: Yes I do, if I need brakes that can stop me from 100-0, in 300' rather than 380'

Hah! So it's the brakes that should be the selling point to the wife... I had no idea!

Here is the link to the video that I was thinking of earlier: http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=M6jL7T3oTSo (external link)

Wilt
44,279 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 11, 2012 21:23 |  #13

drvnbysound wrote in post #14564617 (external link)
Hah! So it's the brakes that should be the selling point to the wife... I had no idea!

'Saftey' appeals to wives. Ability to stop faster under total control is far better arguing point than the ability to go in a straight line faster or go around corners at break neck speeds!

Shamir
THREAD ­ STARTER
508 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 12, 2012 10:23 |  #14

Alien Bees are not limiting me right now, however, I do recognize that I'm moving quite fast in the industry market in my country and I need a solid base to start with! I love Alien Bees.. don't get me wrong, but when it comes to build quality and modifiers, I think they are a bit over rated!

Shamir

sponsored links

2,183 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yet another Light VS Light thread..
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.