Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 31 Oct 2004 (Sunday) 18:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My Wife Carved A Pumpkin

cmM
Goldmember
5,705 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Nov 02, 2004 11:45 |  #31

Dee wrote:
Hehe, That is funny, and to some degree true ;)

I was at a register once and the woman asked me "Will that be cash or Charge?" I replied "Husband'.

Dee

LOL !!! :P
You just postponed my marital plans for another half a decade :D

sponsored links
wpez72
34 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Nov 02, 2004 14:03 |  #32

smudge wrote:
EERrr question from a daft Englishman. What do you do with the mushy bit from inside. What is Halloween about anyway, where did it come from originally. I could google it but I'm too busy looking at photos. :D

Ooh how rude of me, Great phots. A talented wife indeed.

From what i've heard Halloween comes from "Allhallows Eve". Christianity took on the old pagan tradition of carving faces out of Potatoes and turnips at the end of the harvest season in order to worship (?) for a good harvest the next year. Apparently :)

My goodness, how ignorant of me too... You indeed have a very talented wife with a knife (is that a good thing?!) (j/k) :)

You have caught the detail well in your photographs too, well done :)

Canon EOS 300D
efs18-55 kit lens, Old ef75-300 USM II, Old ef28-80 USM I, Pentax Super Takumar 50mm 1.4
Velbon Sherpa 600n.

cmM
Goldmember
5,705 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Nov 02, 2004 14:39 |  #33

the carving of the pumpkins I suppose comes from the harvest thing, but the "ghost scary stuff" I don't know. On the 1st of November, the day after halloween in Christianity there's a Holyday "Day of the dead" (Illumination) when you pay respects to your dead loved ones by lighting a candle, not by dressing like ghosts. I find halloween to be an imoral and superficial holyday, especially given its origin.

Scottes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
12,842 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Nov 02, 2004 15:03 |  #34

cmM wrote:
I find halloween to be an imoral and superficial holyday, especially given its origin.

Sorry, Chris, but you should understand a bit more about Samhain and the origins of Halloween before making statements like that. It's a pretty important holiday to us Wiccans - though not exactly the holiday enjoyed by most American children. It's pretty obvious that you don't know the origins of Halloween.

Making statements like this slamming another's religion is not very cool.

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Info (external link)
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

cmM
Goldmember
5,705 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Nov 02, 2004 15:20 |  #35

Scottes wrote:
cmM wrote:
I find halloween to be an imoral and superficial holyday, especially given its origin.

Sorry, Chris, but you should understand a bit more about Samhain and the origins of Halloween before making statements like that. It's a pretty important holiday to us Wiccans - though not exactly the holiday enjoyed by most American children. It's pretty obvious that you don't know the origins of Halloween.

Making statements like this slamming another's religion is not very cool.

Did not mean it in an offensive way, sorry if it came out that way. I just find it to be an awufully close coincidence to to a Holiday that is quite the opposite.
What are the exact origins of Halloween? I've heard too many versions.

Once again, really sorry if my statement sounds offensive. It is not meant to be.

Scottes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
12,842 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Nov 02, 2004 15:58 |  #36

It's not so opposite, just kinda bastardized and mutated and intentionally changed along the years.

This (external link) is one version of the origins of Halloween, simple and to the point. Again, that's just one view.

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Info (external link)
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Nov 02, 2004 16:10 |  #37

cmM wrote:
the carving of the pumpkins I suppose comes from the harvest thing, but the "ghost scary stuff" I don't know. On the 1st of November, the day after halloween in Christianity there's a Holyday "Day of the dead" (Illumination) when you pay respects to your dead loved ones by lighting a candle, not by dressing like ghosts. I find halloween to be an imoral and superficial holyday, especially given its origin.

hallow'een is the day before all saints day which is 1st of november

'all souls ' day is the next day after that
which is today, the 2nd of november

I don't think anyone is offended by anything said, Chris and Scotte

hallow'een is not a holyday here.
just a fun time , mostly for kiddies.
especially for kiddies

it sure is a noisy day/night though
:lol: :lol:

all saints day was a holy day here (yesterday)
not that everything closes
it's not a bank holiday
it's a day like a sunday. but special
because of all the saints who went before us.
saints were not 'way out there' somewhere

they were ordinary people who done extraordinary things ...
for God
their lives are an example to those who are still making the journey
?!

and today is a day for special prayers for loved ones who have passed away, it being all souls day

just saying
:D

:D congratulations again Dee
wonderful work you done on the pumpkin 8)

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

cmM
Goldmember
5,705 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Nov 02, 2004 16:23 |  #38

Scottes wrote:
It's not so opposite, just kinda bastardized and mutated and intentionally changed along the years.

This (external link) is one version of the origins of Halloween, simple and to the point. Again, that's just one view.

Does anyone today celebrate Samhain as a religious observance?

Yes. many followers of various pagan religions, such as Druids and Wiccans observe this day as a religious festival. They view it as a memorial day for their dead friends

So it's the same holiday I am talking about, only it's reffered to the particular way Celts celebrated it. That is by all means absolutely respectable, but dressing as Frankenstein and running around the street is the wrong turn Halloween took that I find imoral.

Dee
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 02, 2004 21:03 |  #39

Hi,

Ok American Halloween came about after a few different holidays sorta merged. Lets see if I can remember, it's been a while since I learned about all this.

Samhain, All Saints Day, Day of the Dead, and another type of harvest celebration. I can't remember the name.

Basically all these holidays were celebrated within days of each other. All over the world. No one really knew that they were all so closely realted timewise. Samhain and the "last harvest" holidays are somewhat the same. They both celebrate the year end harvest . The difference is that Samhain is pagan in nature, and the other is catholic. All saints day is also catholic and is a day of remeberance of the saints. Day of the dead is celebrated in Mexico and I'm sure elsewhere. I believe it is a day when the dead of the past year can come back to earth. The people show them great respect and mourn the dead. The dead walk with the living.

And now we have Halloween. Costumes came about because people wanted to hide who they are. It was believed that if a spirit walking on that hallow day saw you they could take you back with them. So you dressed up to blend in. As for giving candy, well that goes back to pleasing the spirits, and deities of Samhain. Offerings are often left at graves to keep the spirits happy. On Samhain offerings are made to show respect and thanks for a fruitful harvest. During these holidays people would also leave food and drink on there front steps to keep the spirits that may venture home happy. This in turn ended up creating "Trick or Treat".

When the new world was created, most of these holidays were forgotten about completely. Those who came here to America did so to get away from the rules and customs of their natives lands so they took great pride in creating there own world and own rules and holidays.

Many years later people began to think about the holidays a little different and what ensued was a mix of all the different holidays time forgot, kinda blended into one.

This happened not only for halloween but Christmas and Thanksgiving too. Even though the Thanksgiving we know was born here in America it does have roots that go back to England.

At least I "think" that's how it happened. At least more or less :)
Dee

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,817 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 02, 2004 21:36 |  #40

Hi Dee,

Nice to see you posting on the forum :)

Welcome! 8)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

stoneylonesome
Barn Stormer
10,460 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Nov 03, 2004 06:00 |  #41

Right on Dee, Pretty accurate to the way it happened, mostly it's roots go back 1000's of years in Ireland and the Druids and Pagens. every thing you say is pretty right on, I think either the history Channel or Discovery had a special on this last week.

the name is Winston but they call me Sandy
"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Flowing River Photos (external link)

TPhantom
33 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 11, 2012 23:26 |  #42

Wow your wife is talented. Pumpkins look flawless!

sponsored links

4,510 views & 0 likes for this thread
My Wife Carved A Pumpkin
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.