Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 07:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

when do you use a tripod?

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 12, 2012 13:03 |  #16

With a car, it's pretty simple to toss a tripod in with your gear if you are out to photograph. And, if you are going to do "scenic" photography, then using a tripod is common sense.

Other types of photography are also served well by using a tripod, such as close-up/macro photography.

When out hiking/biking/extensiv​e walking, a tripod is not so practical, and with me, I'd typically be more inclined to packing a monopod at the most with those scenarios. A monopod can in fact be quite handy if you are shooting birds or wildlife, for example, especially if you are having to "hike in" to where you can find the critters. I have hiked with a tripod, but a monopod can serve quite well and is a lot easier to pack around!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links
Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,783 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined May 2010

Jun 12, 2012 13:17 |  #17

For hiking and travel I am going to give one of these a try. I can pretty much take something this small and light almost anywhere

http://www.benrousa.co​m …_Metallic-Collection.html (external link)

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Fuji X100F • Canon EOS R • 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 35 1.8 RF • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

Jardiniboy
508 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 13, 2012 05:36 |  #18

Studio and when I'm going to use long exposures.

Gear List Flickr (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 13, 2012 05:49 |  #19

Yno wrote in post #14567803 (external link)
it makes you slow down and think about what you are doing.

I'm so glad that I'm one of those people who can think without having some external restriction to force me into doing so.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 13, 2012 06:26 |  #20

hollis_f wrote in post #14572305 (external link)
I'm so glad that I'm one of those people who can think without having some external restriction to force me into doing so.

I'm going to have to jump on that band wagon. Usually I tend to ignore those kinds of comments, but their frequency is getting fairly annoying.

It's not quite in the same boat as forcing yourself to use primes, because that does build creative thinking, but tripods merely prevent you from taking snapshots (may or may not be a bad thing, there are a lot of great photos that were captured without any planning, but simply being in the right place at the right time).

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,650 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined May 2007

Jun 13, 2012 06:34 |  #21

You should look upon your tripod as being just as important as the lens. Always use the tripod, you're images will be that much sharper.

Doug
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 13, 2012 06:51 |  #22

Naturalist wrote in post #14572385 (external link)
Always use the tripod, your images will be that much sharper.

Depending on what you're shooting. If you have the time to set up a tripod, and your subject isn't going anywhere soon, then this is a reasonable rule. However, for many people it's just not possible. This little guy was hopping around in the undergrowth. If I'd have tried to use a tripod then the result wouldn't have been sharper - it would have been non-existent.

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/chiffchaff.jpg

For wildlife shooting a tripod is often a major restriction.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 13, 2012 11:03 |  #23

Naturalist wrote in post #14572385 (external link)
You should look upon your tripod as being just as important as the lens. Always use the tripod, you're images will be that much sharper.

Hmm...if your shooting is limited to "tripod-friendly" shooting, that's well and good for you, but to dictate that as a rule for everyone is, well, not so helpful!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

troehr
806 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 13, 2012 23:47 |  #24

Most of my photos are taken with a tripod. If it is possible to take the photo with a tripod, I use it. My friends who often go with me, never use a tripod, and actually think I am strange for always carrying and using one. If I have my camera, I have my tripod. It helps my photos.

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 14, 2012 02:23 |  #25

hollis_f wrote in post #14572431 (external link)
For wildlife shooting a tripod is often a major restriction.

I use a tripod religiously.

That being said, I really DO come into situations in which use of a tripod is a restriction, and it doesn't have anything to do with wildlife.

When it's not a restriction, I use a tripod. When it is a restriction, I don't use a tripod. That's pretty much the gist of how I work.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 14, 2012 05:03 |  #26

Tommydigi wrote in post #14568641 (external link)
Really the only time I considering one is for long exposures. .

same here, long exposures (over 1/6 sec.)

Yno
863 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 14, 2012 08:52 |  #27

hollis_f wrote in post #14572305 (external link)

As can I. But I have seen so many people who can't, or won't. I spent many years using film, where you could not just spray and pray, but I see a lot of younger people with digital cameras doing just that. Maybe I'm wrong (not an uncommon occurrence) but I think their photography would be much improved if they were forced to slow down and carefully compose the shot.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

Yno
863 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 14, 2012 08:56 |  #28

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #14567829 (external link)
Impossible? have you ever seen a gimbal-head tripod? It's the only way sports and wildlife photogs can even hope to capture the action when using lenses like the 600/800L

I never mentioned wildlife photography - I was referring to things like NFL football, where I have never seen anything but monopods on the sidelines, and street photography, where spontaneity precludes the use of one.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,984 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 14, 2012 11:46 |  #29

When you are doing a comparison, and want the two photos to have absolutely the minimum of variables

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 14, 2012 11:55 |  #30

Generally when I am doing landscape shooting, I will use it to get maximum sharpness.

It allows for a larger creative window - longer exposures allowing for water blurring/etc

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

sponsored links

3,549 views & 0 likes for this thread
when do you use a tripod?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.