Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 18:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Going to an air show, any tips/suggestions?

Ace ­ and ­ Deuce
Cream of the Crop
5,731 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 12, 2012 18:12 |  #1

Next weekend (23rd/24th) I am going to an air show. It's going to have the Blue Angels, AeroShell Acrobatic Team, Golden Knights, etc... Is there anything I should know before going? What would be the optimal settings for shooting planes? I'm assuming a fast shutter, like 1250 or so? I'm also assuming my 55-250 is the only lens I will need?

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

~Steve

GEAR LIST

sponsored links
skater911
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 12, 2012 20:31 |  #2

Sunscreen lots of it. You get burnt real quick.

Nikon D850 l Nikon 28 1.4E l Nikon 50 1.8 g l Nikon 24-120 F4 l Tamron 100-400 l

JBillings
879 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 12, 2012 20:35 |  #3

skater911 wrote in post #14570821 (external link)
Sunscreen lots of it. You get burnt real quick.

Hydrate, all that asphalt or concrete and heat will require you to replace fluids.

A good bucket hat.

Clean your sensor before the show.

S

jb
Nature website (external link) -- Sports website (external link)

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 12, 2012 20:45 |  #4

55-250 will be fine, IS is a help too.

Dont take too many boring pictures of specs or the bottom of a plane as it banks away.

For jets faster shutter speed is better.

For props too fast a shutter speed freezes the prop. This makes it look like its stopped.

Shoot a bit slower, 1/400th , then lower ans you get keepers. The ultimate aim here is to get a 'full disk' where the prop draws a circle, this requires 1/100th - 1/50th , very tricky to pan properly and get a sharp shot.

helecopters need even slower shutter speeds but 1/200th will be a good start.

Metering can be tricky depending on conditions too.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

Eagle
Goldmember
4,349 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined May 2005

Jun 12, 2012 20:52 as a reply to  @ RobDickinson's post |  #5

Take your 18-55 also for the static displays (aircraft on the ground).

7D MKII ■ 10-22 ■ 15-85 ■ 28-135 ■ Σ 50-150 ■ 70-200 f4L ■ 100-400L ■ 580EX II
Gear-PCSmugMug (external link) ShutterStock (external link) Alamy (external link) Eagle's Nest Photography (external link)

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,300 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined May 2007

Jun 12, 2012 21:03 |  #6

I went to an air show about 2 years ago. Here is a list of things to bring:

1. Water - lots of water! You're going to sweat a lot standing on the concrete tarmac in the sun shine. I took a camelback and it was worth it!

2. Sunscreen - you'll be frying in the sun otherwise.

3. A wide brimmed hat for there is little to no shade.

4. Ear plugs. The turbo fan engines (such as those on the A10) are not bad at all, but when the F18 come out (ala Blue Angels) it gets LOUD.

5. Two camera bodies if you got them. One with a short lens and the other with a long, allows you to transition from close-ups to aerial shots very easily.

6. Cliff bar, Granola bar, or similar energy boost.

Make sure your batteries are charged and you have lots of memory cards. Do not forget your speedlite as some of the tours inside the static aircraft will allow photo ops - but it can be dark in there.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,984 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 12, 2012 21:48 |  #7

Personally speaking 250mm will often times be too short for a lot of shows. I say this as I find 300mm is mostly to short too. you will be OK for formations or larger aircraft, but most of the fast jets and classic fighter types as well as anything aerobatic will mostly just end up as small dots. I would really suggest that if you can rent either the Sigma 50 or 150-500mm OS or the 100-400 L IS lenses. These are not lnown as the best airshow lenses for nothing. I have been struggling with the Sigma 28-300 and an old T mount 500mm mirror lens, but took the hire option for the last show I went to, and took a 100-400. The difference was amazing, there really is no substitute for focal length, and at times even the 400mm was a bit short, although at least when the aircraft were directly opposite me I was able to get a Spitfire to pretty much fill 2/3 of the frame.
For props really 1/160 or less is where you need to be for decent prop blur, or 1/80 for helicopters. otherwise as fast as you can get within reason, but at least 1/FL if you would otherwise be having to up the ISO excessively. Back button focus is also a good option.
Most airshow's have fairly steady light, and the aircraft are usually in the same light as you are. I would suggest shooting in manual exposure mode, by taking a partial or spot reading from some grass. Nice green grass is usually a decent mid tone for exposure, also shoot RAW and ETTR if you can, although the sky may look pretty blown out in the preview it can be pulled back quite well especially in the new LR4 or ACR version that is now available. Also remember that if you are looking mostly at the bottom of the aircraft then it will need a bit more exposure to bring out the details (meter about 2/3 to 1 1/3 over on the grass for this), but you need to do this without blowing the detail on the top of the aircraft, where you can see both halves. In that situation better to let the sky go a bit, as there are ways of fixing it in post that will look better than the noise you will get from boosting something that was way under exposed. It is a dynamic range problem which there is no getting around.
If you really are not happy with shooting in manual mode then use Av, pick what you think will be a suitable ISO, and then set the aperture so that you have the shutter speed in roughly the right ball park. With long telephotos you are going to be working with minimum of f5.6 or even 6.3 on some of the cheaper lenses. If you shoot Tv mode there is often the possibility that you will set a shutter speed that would need a wider aperture than is available on your lens, and you get an under exposed shot. With Av you are unlikely to get to 30s exposure. You might even get way with a relatively slow shutter speed and if it is a prop plane a really nice full disk.
As well as you r 18-55 take your flash as well in case you need some fill light, you never know who or what you might want to photograph.

Alan

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

whtrbt7
47 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 12, 2012 22:04 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #8

Get a shot of the rocket truck......

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Ace ­ and ­ Deuce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,731 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 13, 2012 02:44 |  #9

Great info, guys, thanks!! I have about 10 days until the show, I'm definitely going to be practicing my panning. Thanks for the shutter info, I would've been freezing everything. I'm also going to check out renting a longer lens.

Thanks again!

GEAR LIST

andyjensen
82 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 13, 2012 03:59 |  #10

Although I'm on a prime kick lately, I think Canon's 100-400L would be a good one to keep in mind for renting. Maybe think about a 1.4x too? I haven't shot airshows so I'm just speculating. Can you go to the airfield today and scope things out to get an idea of what FLs you might need?

Don't leave that Nifty Fifty at home, either ...

Some clicking occurred, a few lenses were involved, that's about all I know ...

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 13, 2012 04:09 |  #11

100-400L is the go to lens for airshows. Wont af with a 1.4tc on tho.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

Ace ­ and ­ Deuce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,731 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 13, 2012 06:49 |  #12

I'm at work right now & can't look, but what does a used 100-400L go for? I may be able to pick one up soon.

GEAR LIST

BioSci
406 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 13, 2012 07:23 as a reply to  @ Ace and Deuce's post |  #13

Amazon lists the 100-400L for $1555. That's a great price for this lens. You can't go wrong at an airshow with this lens - the pump action lets you frame a shot faster than nearly any other lens.

Gripped 7D | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 100-400L | 17-55 f/2.8 | lots of misc stuff

Tyo Photographyexternal link

Ace ­ and ­ Deuce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,731 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 13, 2012 07:29 |  #14

Thanks! Too rich for my blood at this time, I'm gonna have around $900. :(

GEAR LIST

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jun 13, 2012 07:30 |  #15

Ace and Deuce wrote in post #14572536 (external link)
Thanks! Too rich for my blood at this time, I'm gonna have around $900. :(

RENT one.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

sponsored links

5,558 views & 0 likes for this thread
Going to an air show, any tips/suggestions?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.