Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 13 Jun 2012 (Wednesday) 00:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens and body selection for wedding

iamdogdog
277 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 13, 2012 00:38 |  #1

Hi all,

Me and my friend has a upcoming opportunity to shoot a wedding as a backup photographers. Although we are far from being professional, we would like to treat this as pro as possible and we would appreciate your tips and advise. We have access to the following lens and bodies and we don't know which match would give us the best way to work with weddings.

bodies: 5DC / 450D / 60D
lens : 70-200 2.8 IS (rental)
10-22 efs(rental)
100mm macro L
17-55 2.8 IS
30mm 1.4

flash: 550(borrowed from friend) / 580 / 430

So far we are thinking of the following combination so please let us know what do you think.

Me: 5dc + 70-200 AND 60D + 10-22
She: 450D + 17-55

Since we are not pro we would like to avoid changing lens during the event. We will shoot during both ceremony (in a church) and reception(night time indoor as well). We are ok to change lens during the break.

thanks.

450D>60D>5Dc>6D
18-55>17-55>24-105
50 1.8>30 1.4>50 1.4
35L, 100L, 85 1.8, 40 2.8
POTN

sponsored links
computerguru3190
380 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 13, 2012 00:43 |  #2

I think you'll find the high iso much better on the 60D than the 5dC. You'll prob want to shoot the 70-200 with that for a bit. That will prob be your main lens for the ceremony and the 60d will perform better in low light.

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 13, 2012 07:16 |  #3

That's the way I'd split it up. Come the preparations and reception, lighting can be very important. You should both have a flash and know how to get the best from it.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

iamchanel
82 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 13, 2012 08:33 |  #4

I think you should look into another mid range lens for yourself. There is a big gap between 22mm and the next lens at 70mm

My Blog :-) (external link)
Let's Be Friends :) (external link)

davisphotos
190 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 13, 2012 11:16 |  #5

Only the 70-200, 30 and 100 macro will work on your 5D. I would use the 17-55 on the 60D, 70-200 on the 5D and the 30mm on the 450D for the ceremony. For the reception and maybe getting ready, I would most likely use the 30mm on the 5D, I have the 35L and it is my favorite lens for most of the wedding day.
If you want a bit of extra reach with the 70-200, use it on the 450D or 60D. I think you will find the 17-55 on the 60D and 70-200 on the 5D a much better match than using the 10-22 with the 70-200.

Maine Wedding Photographer Andrew Davis (external link)
New England Commercial Photography (external link)
Andrew Davis Photography Blog (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 13, 2012 15:18 |  #6

Backup photographers or second photographers? I've never really worked out what second photographers do, whether they stand further away and need longer lenses, or same sort of range as the main, in which case you need a 17-55/24-70 type lens.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 13, 2012 15:55 |  #7

Talk to the primary photographer you are shooting for and see what he wants you to do.

What I want my secondary photographers to do is different than what others want.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

iamdogdog
THREAD ­ STARTER
277 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 13, 2012 23:05 |  #8

tim wrote in post #14574513 (external link)
Backup photographers or second photographers? I've never really worked out what second photographers do, whether they stand further away and need longer lenses, or same sort of range as the main, in which case you need a 17-55/24-70 type lens.

thanks for all of your response so far. I am not sure if we are backup or second photog. To make a long story short, the client originally want to hire me to shoot their wedding but I am not confident nor have the proper gear to handle it, so i turned her down and asked her to hire the real pro like you guys. She then offered me this job to only capture her ceremony and reception, nothing more.

Since I am not good with swapping lens and changing bodies as I never did it before, this is why I am thinking to ask my helper to use 17-55 the entire time during ceremony so I can use the 70-200 and 10-22 to do more creative shots(since the pros will already cover the base). I think at the end, I will be either using 5dc or 60d at any given time as I don't want to carry around 2 bodies running everywhere.

As in being captured in the shot, i already told me helper to stand at the same side as the pro 1st photog stand, if the pro 2nd is standing at the other side and capturing her, so be it. I will find some space to hide myself anyways since 10-22 or 70-200 is pretty much forcing myself to stand quite far away.

So sigma 30mm1.4 and 100mmL can be left at home, right? my other friend can lend me his 16-35L, if I use this with 5d and use 70-200 on 60D, will it be a better combo?

thanks so much again.

450D>60D>5Dc>6D
18-55>17-55>24-105
50 1.8>30 1.4>50 1.4
POTN

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 14, 2012 15:10 |  #9

To make a long story short, the client originally want to hire me to shoot their wedding but I am not confident nor have the proper gear to handle it, so i turned her down and asked her to hire the real pro like you guys. She then offered me this job to only capture her ceremony and reception, nothing more.

Have you cleared it with the primary photographer? I know I would not want an inexperienced photographer running around trying to get shots during my wedding.

If the church or reception coordinator didn't like something that photographer did, they could easily assume that that photographer was part of my company and ban my company. If that photographer accidently knocked a kid over and the kid breaks his arm, the parents may assume that you are part of my company and sue me.

That doesn't even take into account that it can be distracting to have many cameras (which one does everyone look at? Each person looks at a different camera = shot ruined) or you could be in my shot or could be where I need to be to get my shot, preventing me from doing my job.

I would make sure the primary is cool with it, then ask for some direction so you won't be in his way.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

iamdogdog
THREAD ­ STARTER
277 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 15, 2012 01:11 |  #10

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #14579594 (external link)
Have you cleared it with the primary photographer? I know I would not want an inexperienced photographer running around trying to get shots during my wedding.

If the church or reception coordinator didn't like something that photographer did, they could easily assume that that photographer was part of my company and ban my company. If that photographer accidently knocked a kid over and the kid breaks his arm, the parents may assume that you are part of my company and sue me.

That doesn't even take into account that it can be distracting to have many cameras (which one does everyone look at? Each person looks at a different camera = shot ruined) or you could be in my shot or could be where I need to be to get my shot, preventing me from doing my job.

I would make sure the primary is cool with it, then ask for some direction so you won't be in his way.

thanks man, i worry about this part more than everyone else because if i don't care about it, I would just take over this job anyways. Client told the pro already and they are cool with it, i will meet with the pro and if she doesn't want me to stay or stand in particular shot, I can easily accommodate as I know what my role is. what i worry the most is not whether the pro is cool or not, is whether i can give some valuable shots to the client given all of these constraints i have (standing position and worrying about being some other shot)

450D>60D>5Dc>6D
18-55>17-55>24-105
50 1.8>30 1.4>50 1.4
POTN

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 18, 2012 12:46 as a reply to  @ iamdogdog's post |  #11

Monitor the pro photographer's position and 1) stay out of his/her shots as much as possible and 2) capture things that he can't.

During the ceremony when the pro is capturing the bride and groom you can capture some nice candids of the family/guests/bridal party. With a pro shooting you don't have to worry about capturing all the important moments and you can experiment a bit.

I would recommend you stay out of taking group shots as having two photographers can distract people and ruin group photos.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

iamdogdog
THREAD ­ STARTER
277 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 19, 2012 08:48 as a reply to  @ amirg's post |  #12

Thanks for all of your replies and i have lots of useful info for newbie and second photog. I manage to get a nice shot at reception even my flash were failing me :) I will share once i got a green light from the bride.

Here is some bad experiences first:

1. Once bride introduce me to the pro and tell her I am backup, tension is being created, she said she never need a backup. i think one major factor is that 70-200 2.8 IS lens(rented) that is causing the trouble because it really make me looks like a pro. I paired it with a gripped 60D and this thing is good for working out, not taking pictures pro-long. My left bicep is almost swelling after 2 hours of shoot.

2. Since tension is created, she told her assistance to block my view whenever they can, geeze this is real bad if you ask me because I hate ppl following me. you might think I am paranoid but I am not, I on pusrposely walked to a dead corner and pretend to shoot there(actually resting) and I see him coming to that position right after i went back to shoot, sigh.

Good part:

1. I stayed away from the pro for sure so I won't be in her picture.

2. 70-200 2.8 IS is reallly really fast in focusing even with a 60D, I assume if you have a better body you can really make use of those outer focus point, I stay centered all the time. I shoot without a flash the whole ceremony as it is too darn heavy to put another 580 on my 60D+this lens combo. For those who is using 70-200 F4 IS and thinking of upgrading, make sure you rent or try one before doing so as you might not like it due to its weight. I tried to remove my grip to reduce weight but again, it felt I cannot balance the combo out so I have to put back on right the way.

3. FF or clean iso performer is a must, when I compared files at 3200 and 1600 between a 60D and a 5Dc, 5dc rocks out, with a little of PP the noise is either gone or become a nice noise :) that ppl might think you did it on purposely.

4. for a crop body, no question asked, you need 17-55 and a flash if you are planning to shoot wedding.

Mistakes that I make:
1. I trust canon ETTL system via infra-red = failure, they did not see each other and never flashed my external flash.

2. Should charge more, at first I think i only shoot for a couple hours during ceremony and reception, but when I add up all this extra expenses(rental/travel​/etc....) and i think the whole job casued more hours than what i expected.

3. I didn't work out before using the 70-200 2.8, if you are not a strong guy or gal, make sure you either rent a mono-pod or work out extensively just for using this lens.

4. I changed the shutter speed accidently and didn't realize it until going home, some of my group shots turns out with little blur as I was shooting at 1/10 with a flash, how stupid I was.

Questions:

1. the pro girl use just a 580exII bounced up for group shots(4-5 rows and 15-16 ppl each row), is this enough power? I assume one will have to let some ambient in, right? If yes, how to fill the shadows on the ppl's face as there is strong spot light coming down from the ceiling wor?

If you are new to wedding, feel free to ask me any questions although I am also new as well.

450D>60D>5Dc>6D
18-55>17-55>24-105
50 1.8>30 1.4>50 1.4
POTN

sponsored links

2,294 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens and body selection for wedding
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.