Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 06 Jun 2012 (Wednesday) 09:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Demb Flip-It vs. ABBC

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 10, 2012 14:34 |  #31

The fong looks the softest. SMH

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

sponsored links
jamiewexler
Goldmember
2,012 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 10, 2012 20:40 |  #32

JohnThomas wrote in post #14554332 (external link)
I think we're all comparing two different situations. I only use a diffuser when I'm outside and can't bounce, where the alternative is direct, bare flash.

When I'm inside, I am lucky enough to be able to bounce off white walls/ceilings. I haven't encountered black walls/ceilings yet.

My Flip-It came yesterday. As soon as I can pull my wife aside for a few minutes I'm going to take some shots with the Flip-It, Lightsphere and Sto-Fen.

Outside I never use a diffuser. All they do is steal flash power. If you learn to use flash correctly, you can make direct flash look very natural outdoors.

Massachusetts Wedding Photographer (external link)
My blog (external link)
my facebook (external link)
my gear

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 11, 2012 07:27 |  #33

tim wrote in post #14540916 (external link)
Size matters - I use a wall. I don't use on camera diffusers, I use off camera light.

+1

agree 100%

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 11, 2012 07:28 |  #34

Scatterbrained wrote in post #14540968 (external link)
You don't always have that option, which is why I keep one in my bag. Nothing like walking into a room with black walls and a black ceiling. ;)

gonzogolf wrote in post #14540980 (external link)
My last wedding was on a patio with no walls and a black canopy for ceiling. No place to put off camera lights. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and make do with what you have.

What's the exact problem with black ceilings that makes them not suitable for bouncing?

ChadAndreo wrote in post #14559198 (external link)
The fong looks the softest. SMH

Hard to really tell as the flash exposures are totally different

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 11, 2012 09:35 |  #35

smorter wrote in post #14561977 (external link)
What's the exact problem with black ceilings that makes them not suitable for bouncing?

Two problems with these, they werent particularly reflective so that the return diminished the power of the flash so that it wasnt sufficient. The second was that they were a series of curve arch canopies so there were no constant angles you could depend on.

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 11, 2012 10:06 |  #36

tim wrote in post #14540916 (external link)
Size matters - I use a wall. I don't use on camera diffusers, I use off camera light.

When I started using OCL this was the method I used as well, but I was having trouble getting correct exposure on peoples faces when they weren't facing the flash. This is why I started experimenting with an additional on-camera flash (diffused or not)

jamiewexler wrote in post #14560407 (external link)
Outside I never use a diffuser. All they do is steal flash power. If you learn to use flash correctly, you can make direct flash look very natural outdoors.

I think that depends on the type of diffuser being used. Diffusers similar to the StoFen, Vello or Gary Fong - I agree with you.

I didn't post the bare flash photo but maybe I should have. The Demb Flip-it was the only diffuser that actually intensified the flash exposure. My StoFen and Gary Fong decreased the flash exposure.

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,607 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 13, 2012 09:16 |  #37

I use the ebay version of flip-it and I prefer it over a ABBC because you have more control how much light to bounce to the front. The rouge bender gives you even more flexibility but takes longer to blend (for me).

Gearlist

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 13, 2012 11:01 |  #38

JohnThomas wrote in post #14562598 (external link)
My StoFen and Gary Fong decreased the flash exposure.

and my guess is that the flash was probably maxed out, therefore the underexposure with those bad boys on it in ettl.
which definitely shows the effeciency differences between those options!

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 13, 2012 11:57 |  #39

^^ I agree with you. Although I haven't completely given up on the Gary Fong, I am a big fan of the Flip-It now.

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

joe ­ demb
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 28, 2012 07:16 as a reply to  @ JohnThomas's post |  #40

After looking at the comparison results of Stofen, Lightsphere, and Mega Flip-it, I would say that the one done with the Flip-it had the reflector in a forward position. So of course too much shadowing resulted. The instructions indicate that from such a short distance, the correct position would be vertical, or even back toward you a little. Forward position would be good for a group subject at 12 to 15 feet. If I am correct in my assumption, please adjust the reflector and try another test. I would like to see the result. Joe

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 30, 2012 08:14 |  #41

joe demb wrote in post #14780910 (external link)
After looking at the comparison results of Stofen, Lightsphere, and Mega Flip-it, I would say that the one done with the Flip-it had the reflector in a forward position. So of course too much shadowing resulted. The instructions indicate that from such a short distance, the correct position would be vertical, or even back toward you a little. Forward position would be good for a group subject at 12 to 15 feet. If I am correct in my assumption, please adjust the reflector and try another test. I would like to see the result. Joe

i think these tests were in an outdoor scenario where there is no ceiling to bounce off of.
therefore if you put the reflector too far back all you are doing is shooting light up into the atmosphere, right?
I completely agree that the above is 100% true indoors with a ceiling available. and this is what I do on a regular basis

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

RichardStevens
123 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 31, 2012 06:49 as a reply to  @ bigarchi's post |  #42

Could those tests be re-done with the flash in manual mode and the camera also in manual mode?

I think that only the Flip-It image looks properly exposed - the other two look under to me.

I'm tempted by the Flip-It. In the UK there is a website selling a similar product for £12.95 delivered: www.diffuseit.co.uk (external link) (free worldwide shipping).

I've a wedding coming up in a barn with a high ceiling and wooden beams. I see using a product like this to bounce off when taking shots at the reception without throwing light to the walls and blinding half of the guests behind / beside me.

G: Canon 7D | 60D | 70-200 F4 L | 580 EX II x2
G: Sigma 17-50 F2.8 EX OS HSM | 50-150 F2.8 EX OS HSM | 35 F1.4 EX HSM
W: Facebook (external link) |Website (external link) |Twitter (external link)

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 31, 2012 12:04 |  #43

My wife (the model) is away on vacation for awhile. I wouldn't be able to reproduce this again until next week. I'll give it a try as soon as I can.

Doing the same test with the flash in manual would be interesting, as that will eliminate any variable other than the reflector style. However, using on-camera flash in manual mode for real life situations is probably impractical (right?)..

Regarding the comment about being too close with the reflector pointed forward; in this situation I was outdoors, as pointed out by another post, so there was nothing to bounce off. These are the situations I was comparing reflectors for.. When you can't bounce and need to use flash. To be fair, the next time I try this I'll take multiple shots with the Demb Flip-It in different positions.

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

sponsored links

7,556 views & 0 likes for this thread
Demb Flip-It vs. ABBC
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.