Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 10 Jun 2012 (Sunday) 17:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Survival

chubri777
Goldmember
1,533 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 13, 2012 08:03 |  #31

Great shots and a great post, Steve. Take care of yourself, do what the Doc says and get well soon.

Regards,
Chuck

sponsored links
kristin6
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 13, 2012 12:22 |  #32

Thank you for sharing your story, its very thought provoking and inspirational. I wish you a fast recovery. And these images are just jaw dropping--as are everything I've seen from you--and the information about the birds is so terrific. As someone fairly new to wildlife photography, I love learning as much as I can. So thank you, and keep sharing!!

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 13, 2012 12:27 as a reply to  @ kristin6's post |  #33

Steve, I consider myself one of your biggest fans in your photography, and I respect the time and dedication you take to brings us the stunning photographs.
I wish you the best of results from your surgery, and here's to normal rhythms and many many more fantastic photos from you.

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 13, 2012 14:19 |  #34

Fantastic series as usual Steve. Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. I'm sure many like me, wish to continue seeing your work for many many more years to come. :)

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

Gary ­ Fairhead
Cream of the Crop
12,425 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 14, 2012 13:29 |  #35

Your words are very inspiring Steve and your positive attitude can certainly assist in a speedy recovery :-) Follow your doctor's orders and while waiting to get back behind your camera I bet you have many shots on the hard drive(s) that have yet to be displayed :-) All the best....

Oh yes....on the Burrowing Owl shots...some of the best I have seen of this species. If I ever get to photograph these owls I can only hope to get some as good as yours. Excellent work!!

Gary Fairhead C/C welcome .....

Canon 30 D,50D, Canon 500 F4 IS, 400 F5.6L ,200 F2.8L, 28-105mm F3.5-4.5, 1.4X TC/, Canon 580EX /Canon 100 2.8 Macro
http://www.pbase.com/p​hotofair/root&page=all (external link)

catsith
Mighty Award Winner
6,265 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 16, 2012 01:13 |  #36

Good to see you posting Steve, and ever so pleased it all went well!!
What an outstanding set of images, I hope that I might get something a little bit close to this next year. I have the choice of the 800, or a 400, so would like to try the 800 as my bokeh will be so much better. As Randy said, you images are inspiring, and i love!!! looking at them!

Tina

www.tinadial.smugmug.c​om (external link)

icencold
576 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 16, 2012 04:43 as a reply to  @ post 14561535 |  #37

I am glad that you're doing okay Steve.
Keep those superb pictures coming for long long time, Sir!
:cool:

Kris
1D4, 70-300mmL, 400 5.6L, 100L, 24-105mm L, 50 1.8 II, 430EX II, 1.4x II, GT3530LS, Wimberley II.
flickr (external link)

roofero
197 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 16, 2012 08:43 as a reply to  @ post 14561535 |  #38

I wish you all the best. Today I will smell the roses and remember to be thankful for our existence.

flickr (external link)

dgraham329
Cream of the Crop
11,133 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 16, 2012 09:30 |  #39

lovely series, Steve

Nighthound
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 16, 2012 11:41 |  #40

chubri777 wrote in post #14572653 (external link)
Great shots and a great post, Steve. Take care of yourself, do what the Doc says and get well soon.

Thanks very much Chuck. So far I've followed Docs orders. One more week and I'm back out hiking and shooting, can't wait.

kristin6 wrote in post #14573734 (external link)
Thank you for sharing your story, its very thought provoking and inspirational. I wish you a fast recovery. And these images are just jaw dropping--as are everything I've seen from you--and the information about the birds is so terrific. As someone fairly new to wildlife photography, I love learning as much as I can. So thank you, and keep sharing!!

Thank you so much Kristin, you're too kind. I'm flattered that my efforts are so well received. Sharing my experiences and the things I've learned is a great part of the fun, I'm always happy to help out when I can. Thanks very much for the well wishes.

Flo wrote in post #14573753 (external link)
Steve, I consider myself one of your biggest fans in your photography, and I respect the time and dedication you take to brings us the stunning photographs.
I wish you the best of results from your surgery, and here's to normal rhythms and many many more fantastic photos from you.

Thanks very much Gail. You kind wishes are very much appreciated. I've long been a fan of your images as well and enjoy checking in on your blog.

cfcRebel wrote in post #14574264 (external link)
Fantastic series as usual Steve. Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. I'm sure many like me, wish to continue seeing your work for many many more years to come. :)

Thanks you very much Fee for the well wishes and compliment.

Gary Fairhead wrote in post #14579089 (external link)
Your words are very inspiring Steve and your positive attitude can certainly assist in a speedy recovery :-) Follow your doctor's orders and while waiting to get back behind your camera I bet you have many shots on the hard drive(s) that have yet to be displayed :-) All the best....

Oh yes....on the Burrowing Owl shots...some of the best I have seen of this species. If I ever get to photograph these owls I can only hope to get some as good as yours. Excellent work!!

Thank you very much Gary. I think you've probably guessed by now that I'm a huge fan of your work, and who wouldn't be. You're an incredible photographer. I do have quite a few images on my drives to process but for most of the week I was restricted from sitting for more than an hour at a time to avoid blood clots in my legs. I've managed to do some processing but it's slow going.

Thanks for the compliments on my Owl shots, I hope you get down to where the Burrowing Owls reside, you'll enjoy them and I'm 100% certain your photos will be stunning.

catsith wrote in post #14586494 (external link)
Good to see you posting Steve, and ever so pleased it all went well!!
What an outstanding set of images, I hope that I might get something a little bit close to this next year. I have the choice of the 800, or a 400, so would like to try the 800 as my bokeh will be so much better. As Randy said, you images are inspiring, and i love!!! looking at them!

Thanks very much Tina and thank you for your encouragement and well wishes prior to the surgery.

While the 800 would result in amazing backgrounds, you may have difficulty at some locations getting enough distance between you and the birds. Many burrows are near roads in Cape Coral so for those locations you may want the 400 or 500 on hand. There are certainly places that you'll have the space but you'll find that many of your shots will be dictated by backgrounds which can often be buildings, homes, etc. It takes some moving around and of course any scouting ahead of time will help get you in prime position with less trial and error.

icencold wrote in post #14586799 (external link)
I am glad that you're doing okay Steve.
Keep those superb pictures coming for long long time, Sir!
:cool:

Thanks very much Kris, I'll be doing my best. Every click of the camera will be a even sweeter from now on.

roofero wrote in post #14587180 (external link)
I wish you all the best. Today I will smell the roses and remember to be thankful for our existence.

Thank you very much. I couldn't agree more, I know that I'll be doing just that.

dgraham329 wrote in post #14587293 (external link)
lovely series, Steve

Thanks very much Dean.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

catsith
Mighty Award Winner
6,265 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 16, 2012 16:58 |  #41

While the 800 would result in amazing backgrounds, you may have difficulty at some locations getting enough distance between you and the birds. Many burrows are near roads in Cape Coral so for those locations you may want the 400 or 500 on hand. There are certainly places that you'll have the space but you'll find that many of your shots will be dictated by backgrounds which can often be buildings, homes, etc. It takes some moving around and of course any scouting ahead of time will help get you in prime position with less trial and error.

A friend told me to leave huey at home, but I can't imagine doing that!!!!! Having time to scout will be my problem, don't know where to scout!!! But, hopefully I will find them okay. I have someone teed up who will show me his local owls. Local knowledge is so valuable!

Tina

www.tinadial.smugmug.c​om (external link)

Nighthound
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 17, 2012 20:17 |  #42

catsith wrote in post #14588487 (external link)
A friend told me to leave huey at home, but I can't imagine doing that!!!!! Having time to scout will be my problem, don't know where to scout!!! But, hopefully I will find them okay. I have someone teed up who will show me his local owls. Local knowledge is so valuable!

If you shoot on the east coast near Cooper City you'll have more space to position yourself back enough for the 800. In Cape Coral, on the west coast, there are tighter places that might make it more challenging. It might require that you shoot from in the street or across the street to get the distance needed. You could shoot from the car but that means possibly being in the way of traffic and won't allow a super low angle. I prefer being on foot and able to tweak angles to get the best backgrounds. If you tell me where you'll be going I can help you with the specific locations that I've photographed and the time of day. Of course if I can get down there I'll show you in person.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
12,680 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 18, 2012 05:08 as a reply to  @ post 14572449 |  #43

Heart-felt best wishes for a good recovery, Steve, it's good you had that repair done, you'll feel so much better and able. And do obey the doc's directions, they are important, but you know that ;). Now, the photos, they are as always, outstanding. I'll be staying in Cape Coral this winter for a month, and these little beauties are on my list. I'm driving down so as to bring all my photo gear and computer stuff with me, so I'll be able to stay a respectful distance from the owls, once I find some. And thanks for the warning about fire ants!!!

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, 1D-X II, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link).

kmunroe
Cream of the Crop
12,926 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 18, 2012 05:36 |  #44

great job on the owls Steve.. hope your feeling better

Harvey_G
Cream of the Crop
5,375 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 18, 2012 10:20 |  #45

As I've said on another forum, Steve, the very best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery. You're one of the good guys and I have always considered you a friend.

Oh yes........ your images here are stunning. As always. Keep it up, buddy.

-Harv-
Residing in Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
Shooting with more great Canon gear than I deserve. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I don't need a second childhood. I'm not finished yet with the first one. :lol:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=764587

sponsored links

6,612 views & 0 likes for this thread
Survival
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.