Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 11 Jun 2012 (Monday) 13:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Toughest part of the hobby?

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 12, 2012 09:32 |  #16

MuahMan wrote in post #14563579 (external link)
Toughest PARTS for me:

1. Getting a shot that impresses ME. I can't seem to appreciate my own shots or critique them.
2. Breaking out the SLR in public/crowds. I've always wanted to wander around a city and take shots of people. Figured I might get punched in the face, told off, or my stuff stolen so I don't do it. Shyness.

Don't be afraid to do it. I've walked around many parts of Houston with my camera, and for the most part nobody pays attention to you. Obviously you don't want to wander around with a tripod, or stand there forever trying to compose a shot of someone. I usually put the camera in AV mode and then go for it.

Toughest things for me are definitely getting a shot that impresses me, and gear envy.

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 12, 2012 09:47 |  #17

Accepting and interpreting praise and criticism. The friends-n-family say the photo is fantastic, even though they gush the same comments over crappy grainy flip-phone snapshots, which devalues the praise. My photo is "great" and that other photo is also "great" ... does my work really look that bad?

Critiquing and evaluating my own work. It's not unusual for me to see that my photo is missing "something" but I can't always put my finger on what it is.

Posing people. This one is still really tough for me, especially in those instances where I just can't express my instructions clearly enough for them to take the direction. Corollary: Taking charge when it's appropriate for me to do so, such as rounding up people for group shots and directing them as a group.

It's a bit embarrassing to admit, but I also often struggle with that "other photographer" jealousy. If I'm at an event and there's another guy there with a nice DSLR - especially one that's better than mine - then I feel like I may as well put mine away. They've already got a guy taking pictures, they don't need yet another photographer running around getting in the way and sticking the lens in everyone's nose.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

bryank930
814 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 12, 2012 10:02 |  #18

MuahMan wrote in post #14563579 (external link)
Toughest PARTS for me:

1. Getting a shot that impresses ME. I can't seem to appreciate my own shots or critique them.
2. Breaking out the SLR in public/crowds. I've always wanted to wander around a city and take shots of people. Figured I might get punched in the face, told off, or my stuff stolen so I don't do it. Shyness.

Exactly. That's me 100%

Canon EOS 60D | Google Nexus 7 | Samsung Galaxy S4 / SPH-L720 | Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD ASP IF | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | Yongnuo YN-565 YN560

centrarchidae
93 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Location: Denver-ish, Boulder-ish, sometimes South Park-ish, Colorado

Jun 12, 2012 22:09 |  #19

rick_reno wrote in post #14563984 (external link)
putting my flip flops on so I can go out and shoot. the rest is easy.

I imagine that putting on flip flops over the wool socks and mukluks so that you can go out and shoot in northern Idaho would indeed be quite a challenge.

Any time you start thinking that you're a big shot, try giving commands to someone else's dog.
Direct and blunt C&C wanted, please.

AvailableLight
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 12, 2012 22:32 as a reply to  @ centrarchidae's post |  #20

JakAHearts wrote in post #14565854 (external link)
Theyre all used to my taking 500 images and only sharing 2-3, a few weeks later. Its just the way it is. :lol:

That's what I do. Family gets upset sometimes because of my slow turnaround, but whatever, I work at my own pace.

polishpunk68 wrote in post #14567811 (external link)
For me its dealing with everyone wanting ALL the pictures immediately. They don't care that I always shoot with settings that are post processing friendly and that the pictures will look like crap unless I process them even a little in Lightroom. They want instant gratification.

You have to condition them into having to wait. Otherwise they'll take away your enjoyment.

As for me, the toughest parts of the hobby (so far) are:

1. Photographer jealousy.
2. Feeling overwhelmed because of all the stuff I have yet to learn.

AJ
Rebel T3i (600D)
18-55 | 55-250 | 50 1.8 | 60 2.8 macro | 15-85 | 430 EXII

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,933 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 13, 2012 03:55 |  #21

Frustration. You go, you shoot, everything is crap.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

Jardiniboy
508 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 13, 2012 05:21 |  #22

Not really the toughest but for me it would be the most irritating.

It's usually when there's a family event, "just because you own a camera" everyone wants you to always take the pictures. I honestly want to enjoy the family event, not be the person working. Then when I don't want to bring it out, I get the whole whats the sense of buying those equipment speech stuff.

Gear List Flickr (external link)

AvailableLight
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 13, 2012 06:43 |  #23

osh_sekta wrote in post #14572133 (external link)
Frustration. You go, you shoot, everything is crap.

Oh yeah, that should probably be on my list ;)

Jardiniboy wrote in post #14572257 (external link)
Not really the toughest but for me it would be the most irritating.

It's usually when there's a family event, "just because you own a camera" everyone wants you to always take the pictures. I honestly want to enjoy the family event, not be the person working. Then when I don't want to bring it out, I get the whole whats the sense of buying those equipment speech stuff.

I would tell whomever gives you the "what's the sense of buying all that equipment" speech that you bought it for YOUR enjoyment whenever YOU want to shoot. Limit the times you take your camera to family events so you can have some peace and enjoy the event instead of begrudgingly shooting.

AJ
Rebel T3i (600D)
18-55 | 55-250 | 50 1.8 | 60 2.8 macro | 15-85 | 430 EXII

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 13, 2012 09:03 |  #24

The toughest part for me is just finding the time between everything else going on in my life.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 13, 2012 09:59 |  #25

Jardiniboy wrote in post #14572257 (external link)

I usually don't mind this. I'm terrible at chit-chat and small talk, so the camera gives me a bit of a security blanket. It's a fantastic crutch in social situations.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Riles
306 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 13, 2012 13:55 |  #26

Of the last 4300 photographs I've taken, only forty of them I can look at without cringing. I love going out to shoot, but the toughest part is definitely looking at the results.

Jardiniboy
508 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 13, 2012 14:23 |  #27

AvailableLight wrote in post #14572418 (external link)
Oh yeah, that should probably be on my list ;)

I would tell whomever gives you the "what's the sense of buying all that equipment" speech that you bought it for YOUR enjoyment whenever YOU want to shoot. Limit the times you take your camera to family events so you can have some peace and enjoy the event instead of begrudgingly shooting.

I always have that in my mind, like it's my camera I'm gonna use it when I wanna use it.

LOL it kinda sucks when many family events happens at your house and I don't even bring it out then they tell me to go get it.

Gear List Flickr (external link)

JasonMK
Goldmember
1,377 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 13, 2012 14:36 |  #28

Being creative. I can takes lots of shots, but very few are worth keeping. I've got a few that I enjoy, but it is no fun finally finding time to just go and shoot and end up with nothing worth looking at.

-JasonMK on Flickr (external link)
1Ds Mark III | 650D | EF 17~40mm 4L | EF-S 18~135 STM | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro | Tamron 70~300mm 4.0-5.6 Di VC USD XLD | 430 EX III | 430 EX II | Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW | EF 25 II | PS CC | LR CC

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,430 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jun 13, 2012 14:40 |  #29

Not enough time and money to get to more interesting places to shoot.

Also being lost in the woods in my search to branch out into fine art manipulations.

For those of you who complain about being the go-to guy for photos, here's a bit of advice. Get a small walk-about camera for those times when you don't want to carry that burden. It might be an excellent camera. However, people will still perceive you as just one of the scores of others with point-and-shoots. They'll never guess that it's actually your skills that produce those admirable images and that it doesn't much matter which camera you use.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,556 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 13, 2012 14:54 |  #30

add me to the self critique list. I always think my stuff is not good enough.

I also tend to fall into a pattern when shooting. I start to shoot one aspect and then it takes forever to move away from it. So I start shooting surfing, then that is all I am shooting for a while. I need to mix it up more.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

sponsored links

9,958 views & 0 likes for this thread
Toughest part of the hobby?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.