Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 21 May 2012 (Monday) 13:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you carry your 500mm?

J.Litton
Goldmember
1,741 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 21, 2012 13:10 |  #1

I am looking for a bag to use to carry my 500 on body, preferably with hood attached while I am out shooting.

I also am looking for a travel and carry bag which I am thinking about the Kiboko for that. Any tips for a field/carry bag?

7D MK II.17-40L.100-400L.500L
www.jlitton.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/jlitt​on.nature.photography (external link)

sponsored links
footman
251 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 21, 2012 13:14 |  #2

I carry mine in a LowePro Trekker AWll on a 1D4 but not with the hooded installed

My Flickr (external link)

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

May 21, 2012 14:58 |  #3

I use the LowePro 600 for transport and storage but when hiking I have the 500/MK IV on the Winberley/Gitzo Tripod over my shoulder. The LP 600 won't allow you to keep the lens hood on in shoot position but you can put it on in reverse position. For shoulder carrying I have the Naturescapes tripod pad for comfort and the tripod head reinforcement plate(mounts under tripod) for added strength. I've tried hiking with the LowePro 600 but the weight applied to my neck and shoulders wasn't good after the first mile or so. I prefer carrying the rig over my shoulder and alternating shoulders along the way. The LP 600 is great protection for your camera and lens, very well made.

Bag/backpack:
http://www.lowepro.com​/lenstrekker600aw2 (external link)

Plate:
http://www.naturescape​s.net …-gitzo-tripods-gsp35.html (external link)

Pad:
http://www.naturescape​s.net …-carrying-heavy-gear.html (external link)

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

J.Litton
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,741 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 22, 2012 08:43 |  #4

Thanks Steve! Would I carry similarly but with a monopod. Would that plate still work? I currently screw tripod leg directly into monopod.

7D MK II.17-40L.100-400L.500L
www.jlitton.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/jlitt​on.nature.photography (external link)

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

May 22, 2012 09:14 |  #5

J.Litton wrote in post #14467997 (external link)
Thanks Steve! Would I carry similarly but with a monopod. Would that plate still work? I currently screw tripod leg directly into monopod.

I can't say what the weight capacity of your monopod would be. The plate I mentioned mounts beneath the tripod head plate using the center bolt located under there to secure it. Obviously a monopod doesn't have a place for a reinforcement plate. I would suggest you contact the manufacturer and find out if your model can hold the combined weight of the 500 and your camera. If it is sufficient you should still use caution not to jolt the set up on your shoulder like when jumping downward or over something. You don't want to force too much pressure on the center bolt to snap it or have the threads strip out of the lens foot.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

stoshdwalshphotography
718 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 11, 2012 17:27 |  #6

+1 for Lowepro. I've also had the Kinesis 511, but just sold it b/c I like the integrated (and more adjustable) shoulder straps of the Lowepro better. It's a hulking monster by comparison, though. In the field, I also often sling the mono or tripod over my shoulder, depending on what the lens is mounted to (BH, yes, Gimbal, not very far :) ). I did some DIY and bought self-adhesive pipe insulation for about 5 bucks at my local hardware store, then wrapped each leg with bow tape. Provides some additional padding for longer walks with the set up, and is a lot cheaper than lenscoat's camo leg pads...

Stuff I could trade for a brand new car
Website (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

badams
699 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 13, 2012 22:09 |  #7

I use a tamrac expedition 9x (5589) for carrying the body/lens while traveling but it you have to reverse the lens hood. While shooting I just carry it by the tripod foot.

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

footman
251 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 14, 2012 02:59 |  #8

I seem to have reached a compromise for carrying it in the field when I'm not using a tripod/gimbal combo.
I find I can hand-carry it holding the tripod foot with a plate attached for a reasonable distance, swapping hands when necessary.
I've also bought a Manfrotto neotec monopod and a RRS monpod head. If I want to stop and survey the surroundings I mount the lens/body on the monopod. I also carry the whole lot over my shoulder sometimes but that's not too comfortable.

My Flickr (external link)

catsith
Mighty Award Winner
6,265 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 14, 2012 23:16 |  #9

For my 800, I use the lowpro photosport 200aw, if I need to carry it for a distance. I cut out the guts, and it fits my 800 nicely, hood reversed. If I have my camera on it, it does stick out the top, but the cover still still cover most of it. Not sure on the length of the 500, but with hood reversed and camera body it should fit. It is a very lightweight bag, and very comfortable, with a few extra pockets for bits and pieces. Hood in place is a different matter. It is wide enough, just probably not long enough, though it might do the job even with the camera hanging out of the top.

Tina

www.tinadial.smugmug.c​om (external link)

sponsored links

2,777 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you carry your 500mm?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.