Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 14 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 09:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Guest shooters & facebook...your thoughts.

Apex174
206 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 14, 2012 09:42 |  #1

Wedding guest shooters have been discussed here before. I somewhat have a control over them at the event. However a new challenge has come up. Facebook postings of their images in the likeness of my shots from over my shoulder or paparazzi style from a distance. They do show up with DSLRs and long lenses also. Those images get posted on facebook the day after and I feel it ruins the surprise element of what my shots will be like.

Have you encountered this and what did you do. I can't be the guest photog police as these guests are also very special people to the B&G.

I'm looking for your feedback and experience for future events.

Thanks - Don

5D-II + III, 400D w/ BG-E3 & 40D w/ BG-E2
50 1.8, 17-85 IS USM, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS
430EX, 580EXII

sponsored links
Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 14, 2012 10:19 |  #2

I whisk the couple + the bridal party off after doing any large group shots, so there are seldom any annoying behind-my-back shooting. Aside from moving to another location to get shots, there is nothing you can do about it. I mean I also have it in my contract that the B & G are responsible for announcing and enforcing their policy about other shooters.

I just don't think I want to be one of those photographers that bans others from shooting. For most couples, preserving the uniqueness of your shot will come second to their friends and family being able to have a good time.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

rincon
240 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 14, 2012 11:38 |  #3

There really isn't a lot that you can do to restrict guests with cameras. We always allow guests to shoot our formal shots - I announce that I will shoot first and then step back to allow the others to get their shots. We do, however, limit the amount of time we allow for those shots - usually only about 30-45 seconds before we set up the next pose. The guests get their shot or not - no longer our problem, but we gave them the opportunity and it makes everybody happy. We do hold the line with the "romantics". We explain to the B&G that we don't want them to be distracted or self-concious during that session by having a gallery of onlookers hanging about. So far, that has always worked

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 14, 2012 11:46 |  #4

In terms of preserving the uniqueness of the shots you are setting up, I often am setting up in a way (not deliberately of course) such that other's shots will just not look like mine, despite the fact that our cameras are capturing the same subjects and environment. For example, If the suns beaming down, I knock the ambient down and fill with an off camera flash + umbrella. I will be the only one with that shot.

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 14, 2012 12:04 |  #5

Apex174 wrote in post #14577994 (external link)
Those images get posted on facebook the day after and I feel it ruins the surprise element of what my shots will be like.

you use instagram?

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 14, 2012 12:41 |  #6

mike_311 wrote in post #14578713 (external link)
you use instagram?

hahahaha

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

Apex174
THREAD ­ STARTER
206 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 14, 2012 13:20 |  #7

mike_311 wrote in post #14578713 (external link)
you use instagram?

LOL...I mean the guests...post them up on facebook

430EX, 580EXII

Apex174
THREAD ­ STARTER
206 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 14, 2012 13:22 |  #8

rincon wrote in post #14578597 (external link)
We do hold the line with the "romantics". We explain to the B&G that we don't want them to be distracted or self-concious during that session by having a gallery of onlookers hanging about. So far, that has always worked

I do get some guests who follow us through the "private" formals and I can advise B&G next time so we can have quality time for their portraits.

430EX, 580EXII

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 14, 2012 13:36 |  #9

Nothing you can do. The age of instant gratification. I ask them NOT to take pictures until I am done and let them shoot when I finish.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 14, 2012 13:39 |  #10

Yeah, nothing you can do. It's just a reality of our industry. Just shoot in a way that will make yours look a ton better than theirs.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

outtamymind
Goldmember
1,733 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 14, 2012 13:45 |  #11

i'm not a wedding photog and only do my own hobby photography but the phrase that gets passed around alot "its not the gear its the photographer" that makes a great pictures comes to mind with this.

as others have said you have the right gear and the right artistic touch to make your pictures better then any of the others. just because they have a DSLR and a long lens doesn't mean they're pictures are gonna turn out

www.outtamymindphoto.c​a (external link)
Outtamymind Photography Facebook (external link)
Outtamymind Photography on 500px (external link)

Apex174
THREAD ­ STARTER
206 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 14, 2012 14:23 |  #12

picturecrazy wrote in post #14579125 (external link)
Yeah, nothing you can do. It's just a reality of our industry. Just shoot in a way that will make yours look a ton better than theirs.

Well said. Thank you.

430EX, 580EXII

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 14, 2012 14:25 |  #13

picturecrazy wrote in post #14579125 (external link)

Truth for sure:)

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 14, 2012 14:39 |  #14

Honestly, if your images end up looking the same as Uncle Joe's shot over your shoulder from a distance and put on FB without editing you're probably doing something wrong. I see guests posting pictures instantly after the wedding at the same time or poses of pictures I'm doing, but rarely do they look anything alike.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 14, 2012 14:44 |  #15

We also have to remember that many non-photographers can't necessarily distinguish between point-and-shoot quality shots and well composed quality shots--especially when the subjects, posing, environment are the same. It's amazing how 'subject' focused or 'emotion' focused many non-photogs are when viewing images. Ah, person x and person y are in the photo and they look happy, and there's a sunset there. Great photo !

This is good, though, it pushes us not to be lazy, non ?

sponsored links

2,925 views & 0 likes for this thread
Guest shooters & facebook...your thoughts.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.