Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 12:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Problem with 7D flattening battery

Surreal-Killer
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 14, 2012 12:20 |  #1

OK, my first (hopefully not last) post.
I have a weird problem, I suspect the camera has gone bad as I can find no other forum posts on the same subject. However....
7D, bought brand new in January 2012. Everything is genuine Canon, batteries, lenses etc. The camera has been great, the batteries lasted weeks between charges even if the camera was used. However, the last 3 weeks, when it has been in its bag, physically turned off, it has been flattening the batteries in 3-4 days. I have 2 genuine Canon batteries, it does it to both. I have a Sandisk and a Duracell (both 32GB) CF cards, tried leaving it with both in and out. Have tried leaving it with the 18-135 and 70-300 lens, and with no lens, it still flattens the battery in 3-4 days. It didn't do this before the last 2-3 weeks, and nothing that I am aware of has happened to the camera.
If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be glad to hear them

sponsored links
Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 14, 2012 13:15 |  #2

Something is definitely wrong with your camera body. There is usually nothing on the body to drain your battery especially in a few days. I leave my camera in the on position and leave it that way for 6 months and it is still 90% charged. I would send it in to get it fixed.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,507 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 14, 2012 13:42 |  #3

This might sound a little odd, but have you tried taking the battery out when you're not using the camera? If the batteries stayed charged, that would at least eliminate the charger as another possibility.

MrPhejEjHmoob
96 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 14, 2012 13:46 as a reply to  @ JohnB57's post |  #4

Maybe just a bad battery? Buy a brand new battery, charge it full and then leave in your camera for a few days to see if it's drain. If it's not drain then it's just the battery, not your camera body.

Gears:
Canon G11, 5D, 5D Mark 2, 50 F/1.4, 16-35 F/2.8L, 24-70 F/2.8L, 70-200 F/2.8L, Canon ST-E3, Canon Speedlite 580EX x2

larrycumba
311 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 14, 2012 14:03 |  #5

do you have it gripped and leaving the grip in the on position?

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 14, 2012 14:08 |  #6

larrycumba wrote in post #14579260 (external link)
do you have it gripped and leaving the grip in the on position?

Shouldn't matter. My grips don't consume power and they stay on all the time. Of course, they are Canon grips. I suppose it's possible for off-brand crap to drain batteries inappropriately.

Gear List

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,572 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 14, 2012 14:40 |  #7

There is one off brand of grip that supposedly drains the batteries if you leave the grip's on/off switch on. The grips are supposed to turn off or enter standby (as do the Canon grips) but whatever the off-brand is this doesn't happen.

There is a thread at http://forums.whirlpoo​l.net.au/archive/18379​65 (external link) that mentions a user that has the "auto off" set for two minutes, and he has noticed that the top LCD display never shuts off. A fimmware update was suggested. You might check the thread and experiment a bit.

Similar thread over at http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/11051​98 (external link). No real solutions (except return to Canon), some suggestions like checking recharge performance and being absolutely certain batteries are OK. One person had two bad batteries.

Surreal-Killer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 14, 2012 15:58 |  #8

Yeah, thanks for the replies. My 450D (backup now) lasted for months without charge.
Batteries have been out, and they stay fully charged for weeks, so not batteries as they are both new, genuine Canon, and I've tested that one out first. They have both performed fine, and if they are in the camera and being used, one lasted over 30 minutes videoing and had charge left, and the other one took several hundred photos in a day and was still over 75% charged. I'm sure the batteries are fine. This only started happening a couple of weeks ago, and simultaneously started draining both batteries. Both batteries could not go bad in the same way at the same time.
The camera doesn't have a grip, just a stock 7D. And it's powered off by the main switch.
I'm going with Saint, I think the body has a fault :-(
Thanks for all the advice so far

90c4
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 14, 2012 16:55 |  #9

Do you happen to transfer images via the camera's USB and leave it plugged into your computer for extended periods? I know that keeps the camera on and drains batteries.

www.facebook.com/stage​shooter (external link)http://www.facebook.co​m/stageshooter (external link)

sponsored links

1,323 views & 0 likes for this thread
Problem with 7D flattening battery
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.