Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 13 Jun 2012 (Wednesday) 12:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do you use your Pro9000MkII for?

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 13, 2012 12:52 |  #1

I've read, tons of times, how pigment ink prints have better longevity than dye ink prints. And I've read quite a few times that if you sell prints you really should be using pigment inks. (The implication being that dye ink prints start to fade almost before they're even out of the printer.) But it's pretty apparent that Canon sells a lot of Pro9000MkII's and I just can't imagine that they're all being used to print snapshots and refrigerator prints.
So... If you have a Pro9000II (or any other dye printer) what do you use it for, and do you sell your work?

sponsored links
lensfreak
484 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 13, 2012 17:37 |  #2

Silly statement from me, but I thought the only way to produce a professional long lasting quality image on print is from a lab? I owned inkjet printers over the years and swore never to purchase another should I ever want to print photos. The image faded after a while or it turned a yucky green. It has been easier, cleaner and cheaper to get the lab to run my prints off. Every photo I have in my hands has come from a lab. I considered getting the canon printer but thought again, do these prints actually last or do they fade out?

I too would like to know what applications users have these printers used in?

Den

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 13, 2012 18:50 |  #3

A lot of R&D work has been done over the years to develop inkjet inks for photo printing, focusing on durability/non-fading. In recent years, prints from quality photo printers are quite reliable.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 14, 2012 15:11 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #4

Ummm... anybody?

paddler4
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 14, 2012 20:29 |  #5

There is no doubt that pigment inks last longer, but dye inks have gotten a lot better. E.g., Red River hires an independent lab to test various combinations of inks and its papers. They rate Epson Durabrite Ultra (pigment) at 51+ years and Canon Chromalife 100 (dye) at 9-12 years. Of course, there are lots of variables--how much light the print is exposed to, whether you use UV-protective glass, etc.

I use a Canon Pro 9000II (dye) and used to use a cheaper Canon dye-based printer. With two exceptions, I have not noticed fading so far. However, I am not using it for archival printing. If I were going to sell stuff, I would either use pigment inks or a lab.

One advantage of dye-based inks is that they rarely clog. If you are going to be printing all the time, this may not be an issue, but for me, it was. I may print a lot for a few weeks and then not at all for months, and I have never had a problem starting up one of my printers after months of inactivity. Canon heads are user replaceable, but I have never had to clean or replace one. For me, the nice part of printing at home is the freedom to play around with different papers, the almost instant gratification, and the degree of control. E.g., I just printed a card on matte card stock. Printers have a reduced gamut, and matte papers have a smaller gamut than coated papers. Sure enough, I used soft proofing in Lightroom, and the image looked awful. With 5 minutes of tweaking, I got it back more or less to what it would look like on screen or on a glossy surface.

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 14, 2012 21:07 as a reply to  @ paddler4's post |  #6

I appreciate the input, guys, but what I'm looking for is an answer to the question:
If you have a Pro9000II (or any other dye printer) what do you use it for, and do you sell your work?
Canon has sold about a bazillion of these things; somebody's using them for something!:)

paddler4
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 15, 2012 06:10 |  #7

1. printing photos
2. printing cards.
3. no

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

PoEarth
81 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 15, 2012 08:00 |  #8

:rolleyes: Still have 2 in my garage and don't know what to do with them!?

Canon 6D. Fuji X100. iPhoneX. Canon 50 f/1.4, 28 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8. Canon 14L f/2.8 II, 35L f/1.4, Canon 50L f/1.2, 100L f/2.8 IS Macro, 135L f/2, 16-35L f/2.8 II, 24-70L I(sold) & II f/2.8 ...
Gitzo GT2531EX-Arca Swiss Monoball p0, GT1542T-G1177M, GM2561T-G1077M. Canon 430 EX II.

BigBadWolfie
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 16, 2012 08:35 |  #9

ncjohn wrote in post #14573871 (external link)
I've read, tons of times, how pigment ink prints have better longevity than dye ink prints. And I've read quite a few times that if you sell prints you really should be using pigment inks. (The implication being that dye ink prints start to fade almost before they're even out of the printer.) But it's pretty apparent that Canon sells a lot of Pro9000MkII's and I just can't imagine that they're all being used to print snapshots and refrigerator prints.
So... If you have a Pro9000II (or any other dye printer) what do you use it for, and do you sell your work?

I have the Pro9500mkII and had some trouble deciding between the 9500 and the 9000. In the end, I picked up the Pro9500 and thought of picking up the Pro9000 for glossy prints. The reason Canon sells a lot of Pro9000 is that it's cheaper and dye prints give you more saturated colors. I've never done a comparison but from what I've read, it seems that for color prints, especially glossy prints, many prefer the Pro9000 prints over the Pro9500 prints strictly from looking at it and without considerations for longevity. Additionally, there are a lot more 3rd party ink options for the Pro9000 and many people use 3rd party inks to keep costs down.

In terms of selling prints, I'm not a professional, but I would think that it's something you have to decide. How much faith do you have in dye prints? If you don't have faith in your dye prints and you sell your dye prints, it's your reputation at stake. Personally, the reason i went with the Pro9500 was because i was worried about longevity of my prints.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 16, 2012 09:03 |  #10

I use it to print photos.

Gear List

sponsored links

1,725 views & 0 likes for this thread
What do you use your Pro9000MkII for?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.