Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Jun 2012 (Wednesday) 17:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1ds or 5d

stlouis_26
304 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 13, 2012 17:14 |  #1

If I missed any links on this I apologize. I am thinking about going full frame and was wondering which would be the best route to take. Given the condition of the cameras being roughly the same which would be the best option of the two the 1d or the 5d? Thanks in advance.

sponsored links
delhi
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 13, 2012 17:23 |  #2

IIRC the 5d has DIGIC 2, high ISO capabilities and larger LCD screen. I heard the 1d2 is slow. Not sure what that means because the 5d is not speedy either. hahaha

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link)
No toys. Just tools. (external link) :lol:

5d3/1dx AF Guidebook | What AF Points to use for my 5d3/1dx?! (external link)

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 13, 2012 17:26 |  #3

You do not say what you like to shoot, this will have a bearing on any advice. Also when you say 1D or 5D do you mean 5Dc, 2, 3, which 1D etc etc. Every one is different.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

stlouis_26
THREAD ­ STARTER
304 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 13, 2012 17:45 as a reply to  @ L.J.G.'s post |  #4

Sorry the 1Ds with the 11 mega pixel rating which I assume is the first one as opposed to the 1D mark II. I shoot a lot of wildlife and would also like to do some landscape. I thought the 1D might give me more options but I have used neither camera. Right now I am using a 7D.

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 13, 2012 18:19 |  #5

Are you talking about the 1D or 1Ds? They are two different cameras. Regardless I'd say the 5D is a better choice.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

jayadeff
367 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 14, 2012 21:01 |  #6

The following things will drive you nuts about the old 1Ds:

1. Tiny LCD that doesn't allow zooming in on the image.
2. Very poor battery life.
3. Very noisy above 800 ISO.
4. Very slow to write files to CF card.
5. Canon no longer services them.

The only thing about the 5D that might frustrate you is the 9-point auto focus system. If you really want the better 1D style auto focus, go with a 1DMkII or 1DMkIIn. You loose a little bit of resolution, but gain sooo much more!

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 14, 2012 21:04 |  #7

I looked into this about 8 months ago, got a 5d

sponsored links

1,069 views & 0 likes for this thread
1ds or 5d
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.