Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 12:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Newbie Photographer, completely bewildered

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,196 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 14, 2012 13:31 |  #31

jcwillia1 wrote in post #14578964 (external link)
edit : also - good lord! - what is this??!

http://www.amazon.com …oto-Digital/dp/B001GKLLRY (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

That would be what is commonly known as Junk.

sponsored links
watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 14, 2012 14:26 |  #32

edit : also - good lord! - what is this??!

http://www.amazon.com …oto-Digital/dp/B001GKLLRY (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

wow! a white lens - 1300mm
"high Definition optics !!

jcwillia1
THREAD ­ STARTER
136 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 14, 2012 14:38 |  #33

what do you guys think of these cases (see below)?

the problem I have with all cases is that the neck strap is ultimately a pain in the *ss to pack into the case once you've got the camera in there and I never shoot without the neck strap.

The case logic looks to be by far the most robust but not sure if I need that much horsepower in my camera case.

$25 - Case Logic SLRC-201 - www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-SLRC-201-Holster-Black/dp/B001TZUS98/re​f=pd_cp_p_1 (external link)

$13 - Opteka SLR & DSLR Camera Short Zoom Holster Case - http://www.amazon.com …le-Shoulder/dp/B000MISEI0 (external link)

$17 - USA Gear DuraNeoprene dSLR FlexArmor Sleeve Case - http://www.amazon.com …tal-Cameras/dp/B0037TEO3K (external link)

ok focus people :)

Newbie || Rebel XS || EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

lookingforaname
820 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 14, 2012 15:01 |  #34

I have the Case Logic version one step up from the one you posted:

http://www.amazon.com …F8&qid=13397038​81&sr=1-16 (external link)

I personally would prefer the size that I have, to give you a little more cushion and more room for expanding if you eventually get more lenses or an external flash (which if you are as enthusiastic as you seem, you will eventually do . . .). I've overall been happy with the quality etc. Many of the gearheads here spend way upward of $50 on cases here, so . . . . . ?

June Day Photography - Junedayphoto.com (external link)

jcwillia1
THREAD ­ STARTER
136 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 14, 2012 20:03 |  #35

lookingforaname wrote in post #14579549 (external link)
I have the Case Logic version one step up from the one you posted:

http://www.amazon.com …F8&qid=13397038​81&sr=1-16 (external link)

thanks for the reco but I am notoriously cheap (I paid $300 for the XS + lens, sd card, bag, and Rick Sammon's hilarious training DVD) so that bag is abit much for me but I'm starting to see the wisdom of the case logic bag over the other choices.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

I think I overdid the aperture effect just a bit - still learning this...

and this is the monstrosity that is my camera bag from canon...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

by the way it is way easier to take a really bad picture with a dslr than it is with a point and shoot...

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 14, 2012 20:12 |  #36

gonzogolf wrote in post #14568715 (external link)
RUN, Sprint, teleport if you can to the nearest bookstore and pick up a copy of a book called "understanding exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

I disagree. His book will not explain how an SLR is used. It will explain Peterson's method of photography assuming that the reader already knows SLR cameras which the OP does not.

jcwillia1
THREAD ­ STARTER
136 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 14, 2012 20:18 |  #37

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #14580748 (external link)
assuming that the reader already knows SLR cameras which the OP does not.

he does not. ;)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 14, 2012 20:23 |  #38

jcwillia1 wrote in post #14580770 (external link)
he does not. ;)

Then that book won't do you much good to read at this point.

jcwillia1
THREAD ­ STARTER
136 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 14, 2012 20:37 |  #39

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #14580804 (external link)
Then that book won't do you much good to read at this point.

I think the manual is about the most helpful book that I have read so far. Any other suggestions?

jc1350
158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 15, 2012 10:12 as a reply to  @ jcwillia1's post |  #40

Reading and understanding the camera's manual will teach you the mechanics of the device. "Understanding Exposure" will help teach you how ISO, aperture, and shutter relate. There are many combinations to obtain a "technically correct exposure," but often there is only one "artistically correct exposure" combination with the desired goal being the deciding factor in which combination is the "correct" one.

The book and the manual compliment each other, not compete with each other.

The author even states in the book that if you don't know how to do something with your camera, read the manual.

--
John

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,196 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 15, 2012 11:27 |  #41

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #14580748 (external link)
I disagree. His book will not explain how an SLR is used. It will explain Peterson's method of photography assuming that the reader already knows SLR cameras which the OP does not.

Way to not use the part of my quote where I said to read Peterson's book while having his camera manual handy. Peterson tells you why, the manual tells you how.

jcwillia1
THREAD ­ STARTER
136 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 15, 2012 11:30 |  #42

gonzogolf wrote in post #14583384 (external link)
Way to not use the part of my quote where I said to read Peterson's book while having his camera manual handy. Peterson tells you why, the manual tells you how.

where are the happy pills everyone? :)

I've been looking for community sites to help encourage and guide my photography (my facebook friends are useless for this) and I'm not finding a lot - any suggestions?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,196 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 15, 2012 11:53 |  #43

jcwillia1 wrote in post #14583395 (external link)
where are the happy pills everyone? :)

I've been looking for community sites to help encourage and guide my photography (my facebook friends are useless for this) and I'm not finding a lot - any suggestions?

I think you are on the best one. I have to admit that I dont really get social media and online networking so perhaps you might get better solutions.

jcwillia1
THREAD ­ STARTER
136 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 15, 2012 11:59 |  #44

gonzogolf wrote in post #14583481 (external link)
I think you are on the best one. I have to admit that I dont really get social media and online networking so perhaps you might get better solutions.

you would think that and I am pretty savvy with those things but I'll be damned if I can find them.

I actually had an idea to turn photo sharing into a socially powered game with levelling. Levels would be separated by the number of "likes" you receive for your photo's. As you pass a certain threshhold of likes you get put into a different group. That way beginners aren't consistently being overwhelmed by pro's and pro's aren't trudging through pages of unfocused garbage.

The problem as I see it with all of these sites (I'm looking at you, flickr) is that they take a completely open approach putting all experiences and abilities into one giant crockpot and well, we'll just see what comes out. From my perspective, that puts the experienced pros consistently on a pedestal and discourages the newcomers because "I could never take a picture that great".

Alas, my day job is a Finance Manager and that will never happen :)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,196 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 15, 2012 12:11 |  #45

jcwillia1 wrote in post #14583509 (external link)
you would think that and I am pretty savvy with those things but I'll be damned if I can find them.

I actually had an idea to turn photo sharing into a socially powered game with levelling. Levels would be separated by the number of "likes" you receive for your photo's. As you pass a certain threshhold of likes you get put into a different group. That way beginners aren't consistently being overwhelmed by pro's and pro's aren't trudging through pages of unfocused garbage.

The problem as I see it with all of these sites (I'm looking at you, flickr) is that they take a completely open approach putting all experiences and abilities into one giant crockpot and well, we'll just see what comes out. From my perspective, that puts the experienced pros consistently on a pedestal and discourages the newcomers because "I could never take a picture that great".

Alas, my day job is a Finance Manager and that will never happen :)

I think my problem is that while I like to help people, I could care less about making faux friends I will never meet. I dont participate in flickr's social stuff, and facebook is just to keep up with distant family.

sponsored links

23,554 views & 0 likes for this thread
Newbie Photographer, completely bewildered
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.