Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 14 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 07:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Retina MacBook Pro least repairable laptop ever

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,061 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 15, 2012 09:23 |  #16

mike_d wrote in post #14578920 (external link)
Apple really has that whole "one part breaks and you're in for a new machine" thing down pat.

Well, with no moving parts, it's hard to imagine what's going to break unless you drop it, immerse it, or otherwise damage it yourself.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

sponsored links
jasonlitka
900 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 15, 2012 09:51 |  #17

ben_r_ wrote in post #14578903 (external link)
lol I guess thats where the OP was getting that number, bc last I check the new Retina Display MBP started very well equipped at $2200.

Yeah, but who buys the base model? I think that most of the ones sold will be at $2799 (2.6GHz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD). I'm betting that Apple is going to be making the hard sell in stores that 256GB of storage isn't enough and that since the drive isn't upgradable, they should get the better model.

I added the 2.7GHz CPU on top of that, as well as the upgrade to 16GB of RAM. I stuck with the 512GB SSD though, the upgrade price on the 768GB was just too high to justify.

MCAsan wrote in post #14578957 (external link)
that is why they sell Apple Care

Agreed. I'm not going to keep this machine longer than 3 years anyway.

Jason Litka | Utter Ramblings (external link)
7D, Rebel T2i, 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, 70-300mm f/4-5.6L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, 24mm f/1.4L II USM, 10-22mm USM, 17-85mm IS USM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Speedlite 270EX, Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5, Fuji X100s on order.

Addicted2EOS
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 15, 2012 10:10 |  #18

Your pricing point is well taken. Of course, try to build a well built Windows laptop with those features and the price creeps up as well.

Canon 40D and more lenses than my wife knows about...

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 15, 2012 10:57 |  #19

Numenorean wrote in post #14577584 (external link)
Apple notebooks have always been horrible to work on. As well as iMacs. Some of the dumbest designs I've ever seen in that regard.

Not all of them. The last 4 or so iterations have been very easy to work on. This one is difficult because that's the price of making the most compact laptop on the market with this feature set.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Jun 15, 2012 22:35 |  #20

Of the hundreds of laptops I've worked on none have been a pleasure to work on. It's the nature of the beast. Look to other oems doing the same thing in the persuit of ever thinner laptops. I'll probably be getting one as soon as the coffers can handle it.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 15, 2012 22:45 |  #21

Damian75 wrote in post #14581452 (external link)
Actually most of the current mac laptops are pretty easy to work on as well as the iMacs going back to the G5, you just have to have access to the parts other than that it takes about 10min to strip an iMac down. The old G4 lampshade iMacs could be a pain especially if you had to replace the neck. I will admit I am not liking the fact that the RAM is on the board in the Retina MBP, as far as the SSD goes I am sure there will be 3rd party ones out soon OWC makes some for the Air.

There was a MacBook or iMacBook or iBook or whatever they call them...to replace the optical drive, the motherboard had to be completely removed. That's just stupid.

Gear List

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,490 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 15, 2012 22:50 |  #22

Hen3Ry wrote in post #14582838 (external link)
Well, with no moving parts, it's hard to imagine what's going to break unless you drop it, immerse it, or otherwise damage it yourself.

Electronics fail of their own accord all the time. I fixed a desktop PC just this week that has an original piece of RAM suddenly die. Good thing I could fix (and upgrade it in the process) for $35 worth of RAM instead of having to junk the whole thing.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,490 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 15, 2012 22:55 |  #23

Numenorean wrote in post #14586114 (external link)
There was a MacBook or iMacBook or iBook or whatever they call them...to replace the optical drive, the motherboard had to be completely removed. That's just stupid.

My friend has an iMac. Its not the lampshade one but the more recent 24" Intel based kind. He wanted help upgrading the hard drive. Turns out, you have to almost completely take it apart including removing the screen to get to it. I guess sticking a door on the back would have ruined the aesthetics. :rolleyes:

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 18, 2012 13:37 |  #24

Numenorean wrote in post #14577584 (external link)
Apple notebooks have always been horrible to work on. As well as iMacs. Some of the dumbest designs I've ever seen in that regard.

Tell that to Sir Jonathan Ive. That "dumb design" as you call it is partly responsible for the huge sales success of the Apple products.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,490 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 18, 2012 17:10 |  #25

tgara wrote in post #14596483 (external link)
Tell that to Sir Jonathan Ive. That "dumb design" as you call it is partly responsible for the huge sales success of the Apple products.

Just shows that people only care if something is shiny and smooth on the outside.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 18, 2012 17:20 |  #26

mike_d wrote in post #14597380 (external link)
Just shows that people only care if something is shiny and smooth on the outside.

No, it shows that Apple knows that the consumer experience trumps all else. That's why they're the most valuable company in the world.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,490 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 18, 2012 17:22 |  #27

Tony-S wrote in post #14597430 (external link)
No, it shows that Apple knows that the consumer experience trumps all else. That's why they're the most valuable company in the world.

As long as that experience is the experience apple dictates. Apple has become what they mocked in their 1984 commercial.

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 18, 2012 21:24 |  #28

mike_d wrote in post #14597449 (external link)
As long as that experience is the experience apple dictates. Apple has become what they mocked in their 1984 commercial.

Dictates? You're surely joking. People are free to choose what they want to buy. Nobody is holding a gun to the customer's head to buy an iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Don't like Apple stuff, fine, go buy HP or Samsung or Lenovo, or whatever. People buy Apple's products because of the total experience they provide. They purchase freely, without any "dictating" from Apple or anyone else, despite what you think.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

mltain
264 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 24, 2012 15:39 |  #29

Tony-S wrote in post #14597430 (external link)

Sorry but no. Number 17 on the Forbes list does not make you the most valuable. What you mean is valued in stock price. Their stock is valued higher than anyone else but Exxon Mobile still trumps everyone in revenue and profits.

XS |18-55mm is /75-300mm III / 55-250 IS and 50mm 1.8 Acer Iconia A500
Pentax K1000 SE (film) smc 50mm f2 Chinon CM5 (film) 50mm f 1.9

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 24, 2012 18:07 |  #30

Most valuable market cap.

sponsored links

5,740 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Retina MacBook Pro least repairable laptop ever
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.