Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 15 Jun 2012 (Friday) 14:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama Fail

this thread is locked
sralf4
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 16, 2012 00:18 |  #31

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #14586260 (external link)
Great, so they are fixing the problem without even a hint of delay, assuming all responsibilty, and apologized in the process. Where's the issue again? They even labeled the box as a dud(!), so it's not like they tried to pull a fast one.

Sorry your attempts to get the lowest price possible while avoiding paying taxes was met with a few days of delay.

This, my friends, is what is called a "first world problem".

Now that the devil has been outed for making this poor soul wait an extra week for his Sigma I guess we can close this thread and archive it so as to warn posterity and hope no one ever again shops at establihments that treat their customers with such obvious disdain.

So either you are bad at math or can't read? It comes out to 14 business days and that makes almost 3 weeks (5 business days in a week). The email is generic and does not specifically acknowledge any responsibility for them sending me a used item or offer a solution above any normal return. Anyone who emails them for a return probably gets that exact same email. I would think that what happened to me is a problem and they would want to look into a solution to the problem.

I expect in the end Helen will get back to me and make it right, after all I don't work on weekends either. For now you are the one junking up this thread. If it is so offensive for you go away.

5Dc, 7D, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4, Canon EF 70-200 F4L, Sigma 50mm f1.4

sponsored links
Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 16, 2012 00:26 |  #32

No, no, you're right. This is God's work you are doing. The forum is now richer for the thorough documentation of your plight. Let's all just pray that Adorama, and similar ilk, learn their lesson. Give'm hell.

Rock Chalk!

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 16, 2012 02:46 |  #33

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #14586046 (external link)
The only thing attempted to be defended is common sense and reason. Newsflash: stores are ran by humans and humans constantly make mistakes. It's news and worth muddying up an otherwise informative forum when the offending humans don't correct their mistake. Had Adorama even been given a chance to by the time the OP tripped over himself rushing to post his little exposé? Doesn't seem so.

Anyway, looking forward to an OP bump when there's actually some conclusion, good or bad, to this problem that's worth making a permanent record about.

All I will say is thank goodness for freedom of speech and the ability to form one's own opinions on what is useful and not.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

williejr
746 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 16, 2012 03:56 |  #34

tekin112000 wrote in post #14584422 (external link)
Why bring this up on a forum? You have contacted Adorama? Give them the chance to make it right.

We haven't heard any of Adorama's side of the story so there is no way for us to make any kind of informed judgement.

Kind of a waste at this point.

I'm sure Helen Oster will post shortly offering to fix everything

What is a wasted point is trying to defend Adorama.

Why NOT bring it up ?? Who cares about Adorama's side. You will never find out the truth about who packed it or why it happened. If NONE of the things happened as described by the OP we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I'm glad people post about about their experiences good or bad.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 16, 2012 04:07 |  #35

sralf4 wrote in post #14586109 (external link)
I guess you missed the post where I said "I did contact them before I started this thread. The first response I got was generic and didn't specifically address my issue." They emailed me the following "We are sorry to hear your merchandise did not arrive as it should have. As you are still within our 30-day return time, please ship the item right back to us. We can issue a full refund or an exchange. Please indicate on your Return Merchandise form what you would like to do. ....Please allow up to 8 business days after we receive the package for your return/exchange/refund to be processed. An email confirmation will be sent to you once the return is completed."

I don't know about you, but I don't want to wait the 3 business days for the item to ship back and then another up to 8 business days for the exchange and then another 3 business days for it to ship back to me. Seems like they could ship out a replacement with a return label for the used one they sent me. Was that too much to ask for?

Two things.

1) If you want instant answers, you pick up the phone. Only then can you debate about faster solutions than sending in the unwanted lens. If you mailed - did you also mail photos of the box with the text visible?

2) The information about dates are a conservative figure to make sure you wont be disappointed - the real turn-around time would probably be way quicker. Get lens. Look at lens. Send out new lens.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 16, 2012 05:40 |  #36

Another wasted post. Why not post every positive transaction.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

riotshield
425 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 16, 2012 06:09 |  #37

Last Christmas I ordered a Canon 85mm 1.8 from B&H and it came used with a Tamron cap. I made a post about it in the lens forum. People will claim heresy but I've read enough stories to believe most camera stores (even the reputable ones) will re-sell open box/returned lenses as new. Some don't mind but it also means the duds tend to get recycled, at the expense of customers

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 16, 2012 07:31 |  #38

bps wrote in post #14586360 (external link)
I'm with James. These sounding-board complaint threads are ridiculous. They should only be started when a company refuses to fix a problem. Otherwise, they are nothing more than noise.

Bryan

+1 EXACTLY...

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 16, 2012 08:28 |  #39

scorpio_e wrote in post #14586889 (external link)
Why not post every positive transaction.

No one's stopping you...

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 16, 2012 09:06 |  #40

scorpio_e wrote in post #14586889 (external link)
Another wasted post. Why not post every positive transaction.

you post what they are not "supposed" to do.

The way people defend Adorama, Amazon and B&H is like they are charity.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 16, 2012 09:51 |  #41

Another Adorama complaint thread? Sheesh, we need a separate sub-section for whin...err customer complaints. ;)

I once bought a used camera from Adorama, supposed to be in top condition. Shutter was clearly broken on it.....it happens. Returned it and moved on.

PhotogNY
614 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 16, 2012 09:59 |  #42

I guess I'm one of the few who like being informed about problems with vendors (and how they handle the resolution).

I'm surprised at the number of you who think up to a 14 business day delay is nothing. To someone who shoots for a living, that is a critical delay. If the OP needed the lens for a job, he'd be stuck shelling out money to rent one for two weeks instead. Think Adorama would offer to reimburse him? Probably not. I'd be pissed enough to tell people if that experience happened to me.

Photographer's Guide to Copyright Law Basics (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 16, 2012 10:19 |  #43

Sirrith wrote in post #14587149 (external link)
No one's stopping you...

I have posted plenty of positive comments. I bet a ADORAMA is great post get no attention.

Larry20d
287 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 16, 2012 10:24 |  #44

PhotogNY wrote in post #14587368 (external link)
I guess I'm one of the few who like being informed about problems with vendors (and how they handle the resolution).

I'm surprised at the number of you who think up to a 14 business day delay is nothing. To someone who shoots for a living, that is a critical delay. If the OP needed the lens for a job, he'd be stuck shelling out money to rent one for two weeks instead. Think Adorama would offer to reimburse him? Probably not. I'd be pissed enough to tell people if that experience happened to me.

Couldn't agree more.

5D Mark III, Canon 80D,16-35L, 24-105L, 70-300L IS, 100-400L IS, Nifty 50 1.4, Canon 135L, Canon 85 1.8, Canon EFS 18-135, Canon 55-250, Sigma 150 Macro, EFS-18-135, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Extension Tubes, Canon G10

finalwish
68 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 16, 2012 11:39 |  #45

I actually like to see these complaints as well and the resolutions. Sometimes I run into issues with one company or another, but may not take action on it since to me it may be a hassle. But seeing other complaints and seeing the easy or difficulty of getting the problem fix, I sometime take action to contact the vendor. If you see the post is a waste of bandwidth, move on... no need to add to it.

5Dmkiii | 24-105mm f4 L | 135mm f2 L | 70-200mm mkII L | 680EX-RT

sponsored links

5,122 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adorama Fail
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.