Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 13 Jun 2012 (Wednesday) 13:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My business name is my name, can this be a problem?

MichaelAnthonyPhotography
477 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 13, 2012 13:46 |  #1

So I effectively named my business Michael Anthony Photography when I was starting about a year ago. Since then we have gotten busier, and it has led to the point where I am considering hiring help to help with the workload.

In the instance of a wedding. If I double book a day for weddings, and I wanted to send associate photographers, could I do that? I obviously have vetted them to make sure they are up to our standards.

It is in my contract that we may send associates to shoot a wedding, but I just think that people may have a problem with that. What is your take on it?

Santa Clarita Wedding Photographers - Michael Anthony Photography (external link)
Los Angeles Photography Blog (external link)

sponsored links
JasonMK
Goldmember
1,377 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 13, 2012 14:20 |  #2

I'm not in the business, so take this from a consumer's point of view. I never expect to see Wendy, JC Penny, any of the PEP Boys, or Baskin or Robbin when I go into their stores. Heck, McDonald didn't even run McDonald's after Ray Krok bought it. I don't know how many of you have ever met Blimie and Herman Schreiber (B&H Photo)?

Now, should you decide to sell your company down the road that is another issue (for good or bad). Just my 2 cents.

-JasonMK on Flickr (external link)
1Ds Mark III | 650D | EF 17~40mm 4L | EF-S 18~135 STM | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro | Tamron 70~300mm 4.0-5.6 Di VC USD XLD | 430 EX III | 430 EX II | Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW | EF 25 II | PS CC | LR CC

Sam6644
691 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 13, 2012 14:22 |  #3

Plenty of people do that. As long as you aren't putting in writing that you are the only one who shoots your photos, you're fine.

my site (very outdated at this point) (external link)
Follow on Facebook for more regular updates (external link)
and and twitter (external link)
and instagram, too. (external link)
my blog (external link)

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
7,018 posts
Gallery: 230 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 13, 2012 16:39 as a reply to  @ Sam6644's post |  #4

Just remember that who ever you send is a direct reflection on you. Make sure these people are up to the task and also have good skills dealing directly with clients. One bad experience will do allot of damage to your business in a local community that could quickly put you out of business! A wedding is not something that you can just offer to shoot again.

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 13, 2012 17:35 |  #5

Having it in your contract isn't enough, I don't think. It's a fairly significant change to a client's expectations (that the guy who shot the photos they saw on the site is the guy shooting the wedding), one that really should be expressed up front.

Is your intent to tell clients--look, I'm booked, but I've got a talented photographer working with me who will do the shoot; or are you also intending to, after the booking, say: by the way, I won't be shooting your wedding after all ?

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

bigkeith
146 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 13, 2012 22:05 |  #6

Why not have a meet and greet with the clients and your associates? I'm not a pro but if I approached you to do my wedding and you were going to send an associate to do it, meeting the photographer and chatting with him/her would ease my mind.

7D w/Grip | XSi/450 | Canon EF 17-40 f/4 L | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF-S 60 Macro | Tamron 18-200 Macro XR | Canon EF 24-105 L IS Macro | Canon EF 70-200 L | Speedlite 430 EX II | Kenko Extension Tube Kit | Assorted filters and other stuff
Flickr (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,405 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jun 15, 2012 10:36 |  #7

MichaelAnthonyPhotogra​phy wrote in post #14574130 (external link)
So I effectively named my business Michael Anthony Photography when I was starting about a year ago. Since then we have gotten busier, and it has led to the point where I am considering hiring help to help with the workload.

In the instance of a wedding. If I double book a day for weddings, and I wanted to send associate photographers, could I do that? I obviously have vetted them to make sure they are up to our standards.

It is in my contract that we may send associates to shoot a wedding, but I just think that people may have a problem with that. What is your take on it?

Don't double-book, raise your prices.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

kimbac
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 16, 2012 00:17 |  #8

My wedding photographer was pregnant (due 2 weeks before our wedding) and trades under her own name - the same as you. We were told of this up front and she had another shooter that she uses do all the meetings with us - we saw sample weddings/albums, etc all shot by the person who would shoot for us on the day. All post processing and product handling was handled by the "main" photographer, not our shooter. We were happy with what we saw and happy with the results - the main things was being open and up front from day one as to how things would be handled and who would be doing what parts of the process. It worked just fine and she does it quite a bit.

iamchanel
82 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 16, 2012 07:15 |  #9

some companies do that. check out http://www.milliehollo​man.com/ (external link)

She has several associates. They don't all shoot together. Just find an attractive way to present it. More like a team or a company rather than just YOUR business.

My Blog :-) (external link)
Let's Be Friends :) (external link)

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,310 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 16, 2012 19:05 |  #10

I don't think it's necessarily an issue, but there will be times when people will expect you... reasonably or unreasonably. You need to make sure you have an answer for that.

Just curious, but have you had any issues regarding sharing a name for your business with Michael Anthony of Van Halen & Chickenfoot fame?

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

aliengin
Goldmember
1,158 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 18, 2012 13:33 |  #11

I've seen that a lot. Specially when i saw a name on a photograph. It was the name of a very famous photographer, I was shooting at the same location (have the same shots) but never saw the photographer there. Later I learned it was a common business paractice to hire freelancers and shoot 3-4 people for the same event in different locations.
Personally if you ask me, its misleading but it completely legal and normal.

Ali Engin Photography (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 18, 2012 23:24 |  #12

The biggest thing to do would be to ensure all photos produced by your company are clearly labeled as to who the actual photographer was. (And possibly who did your post work)

From the business standpoint you really should make a choice as to what you want in an associate photographer. Do you want them to fully emulate your style? Have you founded your business on consistent, reliable content that locals can recognise and so come to you for that? Or have you founded your business on a flexible style, drastically shifting (And proving you are able to cope well with it) your style to fit the client's desires?

If you are already shifting to the client's wishes, then bringing in an associate means you're further expanding your client's options. If you are focusing on a narrow style then you are going to have to either work hard with someone else to keep that style the same across both of you, or decide to split the style.

As long as you are clear and upfront with the clients about who the photographers are, then there should be no issues.

One good option would likely be to space yourself slightly as a photographer from the business itself. If you are taking on associates then the business becomes a service portal, and you get to wear two hats. You become a manager, and a photographer. When you wear your manager's hat, you are greeting potential customers and walking them through what your business can do for them, which is to provide the service of access to a skilled photographer. You match the client up with the service they need. Keep your ego out of it, as a manager you aren't a photographer, and which photographer the clients pick doesn't matter, as long as that photographer works for you.

It also means you are going to have a little extra accounting to consider, especially if you end up with several associate photographers working with you. You are going to have to partition the business expenses, and keep in mind what income and expenses should belong to your upper level "Management" section of drawing in customers, studio/office space, etc, and what income and expenses relate to the photographers themselves. Be very careful with this issue, because failure to consider things like this can easily result in robbing yourself if you fail to take a suitable cut from the other photographers, or pissing off your hired help if they perceive your take as unfair.

For small firms where everyone involved is exceptionally high skilled, keep finances clear and in the open, and basically make sure everyone is a partner with a voice. I have seen it happen many times in Software startups go to pieces because 'junior' team members get annoyed, run off, and setup a new shop which soundly beats the old.

Good luck.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

sponsored links

2,063 views & 0 likes for this thread
My business name is my name, can this be a problem?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.