Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Jun 2012 (Monday) 08:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who shoots in Jpeg?

gratchie
957 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 15, 2012 11:04 |  #31

I'm not the photographer, but my wedding was shot entirely in jpeg and I'm very happy with the results. It really depends on the shooter ;)

http://alpha314.net/we​dding/ (external link)

GearList || Canon 5D Mark III | 24L II | 135L | 70-300L | 24-105L | 600 EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | RX100M2
Full Gear List and Feedback || growingthompy.tumblr.c​omexternal link

sponsored links
Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 15, 2012 14:41 |  #32

elrey2375 wrote in post #14583302 (external link)
People who shoot JPEG are generally looked down on in this forum.

I don't think so. There are legitimate reasons to shoot JPEG, for certain kinds of work in certain situations. Sometimes speed is more important than quality.

Like the high-priced equipment we shoot with, RAW files and conversion software are tools that can help make better images, but only in the hands of someone with the right skills.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 15, 2012 20:19 |  #33

Curtis N wrote in post #14584318 (external link)
I don't think so. There are legitimate reasons to shoot JPEG, for certain kinds of work in certain situations. Sometimes speed is more important than quality.

Like the high-priced equipment we shoot with, RAW files and conversion software are tools that can help make better images, but only in the hands of someone with the right skills.

I don't think you're giving up that much quality. It's all going to end up a JPEG in the end anyway

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Panoz
195 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 15, 2012 20:41 |  #34

Oh, God...the RAW religion pops up every few weeks or so. I was a PPA Ceritifed photographer and I only shot JPEG. Gary Fong, who charges $120,000 per wedding, shoots in JPEG with a Fuji point and shoot. You should SEE his enlargements - he doesn't even shoot on FINE quality, he shoots MEDIUM. Another PPA Certified photog I know in Atlanta charges a measly $25,000 per event and HE shoots JPEG. If spoons don't make you fat, RAW doesn't make your photos better. It's just another way for amateurs to try to differentiate themselves from someone else OTHER than their photographic ability. "Your not a PRO if you don't shoot RAW!" is the slogan, and the sheeple believe it.

Canon G12, Canon 5D MkII, Canon 24-105 L, Sigma 16mm fisheye

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 15, 2012 23:28 |  #35

It shouldn't be a religion. It should be a choice. Now the OP here asked a legitimate question in the hopes that he can make an informed choice.

Like a lot of things in the digital image world (like a color temp shift from a strobe), the differences are measurable. Whether or not they're noticeable by the client is something else entirely.

And certainly plenty of photogs make plenty of money shooting JPEG and using Alienbees. But Profoto strobes and RAW format exist for a reason.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 16, 2012 00:17 |  #36

Curtis N wrote in post #14586215 (external link)
It shouldn't be a religion. It should be a choice. Now the OP here asked a legitimate question in the hopes that he can make an informed choice.

Like a lot of things in the digital image world (like a color temp shift from a strobe), the differences are measurable. Whether or not they're noticeable by the client is something else entirely.

And certainly plenty of photogs make plenty of money shooting JPEG and using Alienbees. But Profoto strobes and RAW format exist for a reason.

Yes, they do. Mostly for those who have more money than sense :lol: I don't have anything against RAW, but I won't stand by and be told that people who shoot JPEG are somehow less as a photographer, because that's crap.

JohnnyHormone
34 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 16, 2012 00:53 |  #37

Surely there is a place and reason for both.
I usually shooti in RAW, but when I'm shooting local football (soccer) to get pics for the local press and clubs I shoot jpeg, as I am going to have a few hundred shots to wade through and little time to submit.

Surely it is about capturing the image, the method is secondary to the result.

50D | 30D | 400D being sold | 50mm 1.8 MkII | 28-105mm | 70-200 IS USM F4.0 | Sigma 10-20 | EFS 18-55 being sold | oh, and a G9

Tessa
Playing with fire
1,806 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 16, 2012 01:16 as a reply to  @ JohnnyHormone's post |  #38

The attitude of those RAW shooters who look down on JPEG users is utterly insulting - I get the feeling that in their eyes we're nothing more than garbage and shouldn't even be allowed near a camera.

Well guess what - who cares what you think? RAW has its advantages, but using it doesn't give you the right to treat JPEG shooters like some lower life form. JPEG is what works for us, RAW is what works for you, so deal with it and stop calling us stupid or ignorant.

This constant RAW vs. JPEG argument just makes me sick.

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 16, 2012 01:45 |  #39

Tessa wrote in post #14586497 (external link)
The attitude of those RAW shooters who look down on JPEG users is utterly insulting - I get the feeling that in their eyes we're nothing more than garbage and shouldn't even be allowed near a camera.

Well guess what - who cares what you think? RAW has its advantages, but using it doesn't give you the right to treat JPEG shooters like some lower life form. JPEG is what works for us, RAW is what works for you, so deal with it and stop calling us stupid or ignorant.

This constant RAW vs. JPEG argument just makes me sick.

Reinforcements, finally.:lol: Where the hell you guys been

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,253 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 16, 2012 07:22 |  #40

elrey2375 wrote in post #14586546 (external link)
Reinforcements, finally.:lol: Where the hell you guys been

Pretty early on actually.
Tessa joined this thread before you and I was only a couple of posts after that.
I just chose not to get embroiled in a pointless bunfight on a topic that gets rehashed time and again with the same result - I made my point.
I said what I shoot - jpeg - and I don't have to justify it to anyone except myself and I don't care what anyone else shoots. It doesn't affect my images.

I'll care about whether an image is shot in jpeg or raw the nano second I can look at an image in print and say unequivoccally what format it originally started as.
Until then, I don't give a toss.

Now, would anyone like some popcorn.
Someone else get the drinks and choc-tops.
If someone feels they are better off shooting raw, more power to them. If somebody else feels they are better off with jpeg, more power to them.

Regards, Phil
2019 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year - Runner Up
2018 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year
2018 CAMS (now Motorsport Australia) Gold Accredited Photographer
Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office"

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 16, 2012 07:25 |  #41

I just want to point out that this discussion was a perfectly reasonable discussion of the merits of both RAW and JPEG until "Raw is a crutch"

I shoot what serves my purpose. RAW allows me more latitude in post. JPEG lets me shoot faster, store more, and have to process less.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

Trackslide
THREAD ­ STARTER
149 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 16, 2012 10:04 |  #42

Sorry didn't mean to start a war lol
From my personal experience with what I opened with, I won't have any issue switching to Jpeg in the future when runnin low on memory, results speak for themselves

My 500px (external link) | 60D (Gripped) | 550D (Gripped) | EF70-200mm ƒ/4L | Sigma 30mm ƒ/1.4 | Speedlite 560II x2 |

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,668 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 16, 2012 10:46 |  #43

MattPharmD wrote in post #14587053 (external link)
I just want to point out that this discussion was a perfectly reasonable discussion of the merits of both RAW and JPEG until "Raw is a crutch"

I shoot what serves my purpose. RAW allows me more latitude in post. JPEG lets me shoot faster, store more, and have to process less.

perfect answer.

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 16, 2012 12:12 |  #44

MattPharmD wrote in post #14587053 (external link)

A perfectly 'reasonable' discussion about RAW and Jpeg is like the Easter Bunny, doesn't exist. You can blame me if you wish, but it was going south anyway, they always do.

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 16, 2012 12:13 |  #45

philwillmedia wrote in post #14587046 (external link)
Pretty early on actually.
Tessa joined this thread before you and I was only a couple of posts after that.
I just chose not to get embroiled in a pointless bunfight on a topic that gets rehashed time and again with the same result - I made my point.
I said what I shoot - jpeg - and I don't have to justify it to anyone except myself and I don't care what anyone else shoots. It doesn't affect my images.

I'll care about whether an image is shot in jpeg or raw the nano second I can look at an image in print and say unequivoccally what format it originally started as.
Until then, I don't give a toss.

Now, would anyone like some popcorn.
Someone else get the drinks and choc-tops.
If someone feels they are better off shooting raw, more power to them. If somebody else feels they are better off with jpeg, more power to them.

THIS is the perfect answer. I don't give a crap what anyone shoots either.

sponsored links

7,398 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who shoots in Jpeg?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.