Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 10 Jun 2012 (Sunday) 10:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Macro Subjects

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 10, 2012 10:13 |  #1

Looking through the many threads, it seems like the only subjects worthy of macro are insects, flowers, and occasionally water or money.

What else do you use your macro for? I'm not much into bugs, flowers are ok (my wife owns a flowershop, so I'm not excited by flowers much), and money and waterdrops don't typically do it for me as well.

I have a Sigma 50mm Macro that I used to take some shots of flowers with, and they came out great, but what else can I do with this lens? It's an FD mount, and I use it on my AE-1.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

sponsored links
archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 11, 2012 07:20 |  #2

I've commonly seen people take pictures of things like coin and stamp collections, both to show off, and for insurance purposes. Most macro lenses are outstanding portrait lenses as well, due to their sharpness, though the 50 might be a bit wide for that application.

However, if you're not really interested in taking pictures of little things of any type, then maybe sell the macro lens and replace it with a lens that you would use more?

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

KirkS518
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 11, 2012 15:35 |  #3

archer1960 wrote in post #14561955 (external link)
I've commonly seen people take pictures of things like coin and stamp collections, both to show off, and for insurance purposes. Most macro lenses are outstanding portrait lenses as well, due to their sharpness, though the 50 might be a bit wide for that application.

However, if you're not really interested in taking pictures of little things of any type, then maybe sell the macro lens and replace it with a lens that you would use more?

Yeah, I also have a Sigma APO 180mm Macro, and I really find macro to not be a 'creative' format.

I was hoping someone had some creative uses for macro lenses, but I guess either they don't want to give away their niche, or there isn't one. :(

Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

Mony
162 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 11, 2012 16:14 |  #4

Well if you ask me there are no limits in macro photography, the same problem as me I don't like taking pictures of bugs, people take them for their beauty ( which I don't seem to notice it:p), but try thinking in a different way, not what to capture, but what do you want from the piece of art.
If you want to capture a hopeless man praying, an idea will strike you almost instantly: two hands in a low exposure with lots of wrinkles will express what you need.
Sometimes for fun, portraits are a very good in these situations because every curve in the face will express something. Try experimenting in macro if it does not suit you or appeal you. Try switching into something very Differnt like landscapes.

A Targa and a Camera

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 11, 2012 18:21 |  #5

If you start digging deeply into the threads in the Macro forum, you'll find some wonderfully creative shots of things that have nothing to do with bugs or flowers (and a few that do as well), but they are certainly in the minority. I like shooting bugs for the challenge more than the artistic/creative side of things. I have pretty much not a single creative/artistic bone in my body when it comes to thinking of new things to shoot, so I'm stuck with ideas that I steal from other people ;D, along with the obvious bugs and flowers.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

alquimista
Cream of the Crop
6,998 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 11, 2012 23:01 |  #6

You can always trade that Sigma APO 180mm Macro for my 70-200l I got, I'm also in Florida :)

la costura de Dios
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/andresmoline/ (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 13, 2012 17:31 |  #7

KirkS518 wrote in post #14564370 (external link)
Yeah, I also have a Sigma APO 180mm Macro, and I really find macro to not be a 'creative' format.

I was hoping someone had some creative uses for macro lenses, but I guess either they don't want to give away their niche, or there isn't one. :(

Have you actually spent time checking out the photos in the "Macro" Photo Sharing section?:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=38

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

KirkS518
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 14, 2012 09:53 |  #8

tonylong wrote in post #14575144 (external link)
Have you actually spent time checking out the photos in the "Macro" Photo Sharing section?:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=38

Yes, see my first post. Pics other than bugs and flowers are there I'm sure, but they are so few and far between that I haven't found many. In the first 7 pages of threads (currently) there are 2 threads that aren't bugs or flowers - one is of water droplets (cool) and one is of crayon/rope. That's a very small percentage.

robbug
212 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 14, 2012 16:51 as a reply to  @ KirkS518's post |  #9

Well, people that are interested in macro-photography normally are interested in the items you mention and they blend well together. I have seen other photographers that utilize the macro arena for things not of bugs and water. It takes a bit more thought when you exclude those items. While reading this thread I figured I would wrack my brain a bit and see what else there is to see in the world of small and this is what I came up with:

IMAGE: http://www.refractivephotos.com/ibox/Writing_a_Portrait.jpg

So with a bit of thought, some play with reflections or refractions, I am sure you can find a mundane object and make it a work of art. I know someone (can't for the life of me remember who or where) took photos of broken watch gears polished them up and took abstracts. They were absolutely stunning.

Refractive Photos (external link)
Stuff that gets me the exposure
When asked if there were too many people taking pictures today, Elliot Erwitt replied, "All you need is a pencil and a piece of paper to write a novel, don't you?"

Japers
192 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 15, 2012 08:32 as a reply to  @ robbug's post |  #10

I primarily shoot bugs.. but there are rare occasions where I find a little creativity and shoot things around the house that make for interesting compositions. :)

IMAGE: http://www.japersmcjapperson.com/images/gallery2/guitar.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.japersmcjapperson.com/images/gallery2/rubberbands.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.japersmcjapperson.com/images/gallery2/charmed.jpg

60D + Lenses = Flickr (external link)

BasAndrews
Cream of the Crop
12,969 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 16, 2012 04:20 |  #11

See the super macro guessing game for ideas.

https://photography-on-the.net …ead.php?t=72269​0&page=656

Great fun too.

Bas (external link)

Japers
192 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 16, 2012 09:29 |  #12

BasAndrews wrote in post #14586763 (external link)
See the super macro guessing game for ideas.
https://photography-on-the.net …ead.php?t=72269​0&page=656
Great fun too.

This is a really good idea. Great stuff in that thread. Also, smaller foods. I see quite a bit of smaller food macros.

60D + Lenses = Flickr (external link)

KirkS518
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 16, 2012 15:54 as a reply to  @ Japers's post |  #13

I saw that thread, and it reminded me of something that sparked my desire for a 'real' macro lens - 'Games' Magazine (out of print now I think) used to have a page of macro shots, and you'd guess what it was. I loved it.

Now that I have a macro lens, I don't use it much. I need to take a creativity pill. I'll get there.....

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 21, 2012 10:20 as a reply to  @ KirkS518's post |  #14

I buy a lot of my subjects at Michaels crafts http://www.michaels.co​m/ (external link)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

sponsored links

2,847 views & 0 likes for this thread
Macro Subjects
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.