Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 Jun 2012 (Saturday) 08:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

15-85 - Keep or sell?

tovarish
317 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 16, 2012 08:35 |  #1

I have spoiled myself in the last year. I have a 7d, which I purchased along with a 15-85 two years ago. My lenses now include a 50L, 70-300l, tokina 11-16, and 100mm macro.

With those lenses, I find I rarely reach for the 15-85 anymore. I do like the lens, but if I'm going out for the day, I'll grab one of the others and make creative choices based on the focal length available. Even when I use the 15-85, it's almost always at the long or the short end, not much time spent in between.

The 50l lives on my camera most of the time.

If you were me (and liked the 15-85) would you keep or sell? I hate holding on to stuff I don't use, but fear I'll regret selling it. Thanks!

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,707 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 16, 2012 08:51 |  #2

That's a great all purpose lens, not an "L" but probably close to it in IQ. You probably should force yourself to give it a good trail run in and around Charleston. You might decide to keep it (I guess that's my recommendation).

If you do decide to sell I would guess you can get well into the mid $500 to mid $600 region. Perhaps a bit more as it sound like it is likely in good shape. PM me as I might be interested.

shinksma
710 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 16, 2012 08:58 |  #3

Funny, I have the 15-85 for my T3i, and it is the lens that practically lives on my camera unless I'm birding. Yes, I use the others when the need calls (macro stuff with the 100 2.8 macro, evening/low light and I'll put on the 17-55 2.8, big landscapes and I use the 10-22 or fisheye). But 90% of my "hey I want to walk around and take shots" events start out with the 15-85, and sometimes it never gets removed.

Horses for courses, and people have preferences. So if you aren't using it, no matter how much you try to change your game plan, you could unload it and use the funds towards something else you desire.

IMHO, YMMV (obviously!),

shinksma

5DII | T3i | EF 17-40 L | EF 24-105 L | EF 24 1.4 L II | EF 28 1.8 | EF 85 1.8 | EF 70-200 2.8 L IS II | EF 100-400 L | EF-S 15-85 IS USM | EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS USM | EF-S 10-22 USM | EF 100 2.8 Macro USM | EF-S 18-55 IS | EF 35-80 III | EF-S 55-250 IS | Rokinon 8mm FE | EF 75-300 non-USM III | SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 | Tamron 70-210 | 430EX II | Kenko 2x MC4 and 1.4x Pro300DGX TC

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,893 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 16, 2012 09:00 |  #4

Ultimately its your choice, but I have seen many posts asking a simular question, and many responded , if your not using it much, sell it.

The 15-85 is a great walkaround on a cropper.

I would think paired with your 70-300L you pretty much have everything covered from 15 to 300.
As you say, you enjoy creative choices with your 50, if thats where your at with your photograpy presently, and not finding your using the 15-85, maybe its time it finds another home. If you find regretting selling it, you can always rebuy it. Its not the end of the world.

Best of luck with YOUR desicion...

My Gear flickr (external link)

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 16, 2012 09:07 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Sell it if you are not using it. Yes it's a versatile lens, but it has no specialty nor magic compared to your 50L for example.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 16, 2012 09:32 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Come on man...make up your own mind and do what YOU think is right. If you can't make this simple decision in your life...how the hell will you ever make a difficult decision. Are you really going to have some people you don't even know make decisions for you?

tovarish
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 16, 2012 09:37 |  #7

I was just conducting a simple survey. Sorry to offend. Without stupid little questions like this, this thread would shrink fourfold.

Flickr (external link)

Skul
92 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 16, 2012 09:40 |  #8

IMO, selling the unit would immediately handicap you.
You lose the capability for wide shots when needed.
Granted, I don't use the low end on my wide zooms very often, but, there are times I have, or want to.
If you sell it, you will need it the very next day.
Keep the lens.

BTW, I'm not offended. The purpose of the forum is to learn and share ideas.

Eagle
Goldmember
4,371 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2005

Jun 16, 2012 10:43 as a reply to  @ Skul's post |  #9

Keep it. I just bought one off another member so I won't buy yours now.

7D MKII ■ 10-22 ■ 15-85 ■ 28-135 ■ Σ 50-150 ■ 70-200 f4L ■ 100-400L ■ 580EX II
Gear-PCSmugMug (external link) ShutterStock (external link) Alamy (external link) Eagle's Nest Photography (external link)

artyH
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 16, 2012 10:51 |  #10

Whether or not to keep it depends on your pocket and photographic needs. I keep lenses that I may not use much, just for those times when they are useful.
I like primes, but zooms can be just the ticket for special events, where you need a number of different focal lengths because of circumstances. A lens like the 15-85 would be good for travel. If you never travel, and would be happy with the Tokina wide zoom for this, then you don't really need the lens.
However, I'd keep it around for those special occasions when the Tokina might be too wide, and you need a number of focal lengths - like a trip to Rome.

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 16, 2012 10:54 as a reply to  @ Eagle's post |  #11

Because of your question keep or sell
that means you want that lens
then keep it ;)

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

tovarish
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 16, 2012 10:57 |  #12

artyH wrote in post #14587553 (external link)
Whether or not to keep it depends on your pocket and photographic needs. I keep lenses that I may not use much, just for those times when they are useful.
I like primes, but zooms can be just the ticket for special events, where you need a number of different focal lengths because of circumstances. A lens like the 15-85 would be good for travel. If you never travel, and would be happy with the Tokina wide zoom for this, then you don't really need the lens.
However, I'd keep it around for those special occasions when the Tokina might be too wide, and you need a number of focal lengths - like a trip to Rome.

Good points. I don't need the money. I'll keep it. Thanks!

Flickr (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 16, 2012 11:31 |  #13

if you're not using it, sell it. it's not like you've got the only one on the planet, if you find the need for one down the road you can always find another. I wouldn't sell mine - it'll be here until I flush the 7D it sits on.

manfesto
294 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 17, 2012 02:22 |  #14

Random suggestion, not sure if it would fit with how you like to shoot, but -

What about trading your 15-85 in for a 17-50 or 17-55 F/2.8 zoom? Sigma or Tamron would be close in price to what you could sell your 15-85 for (a bit more cash for image stabilized, a bit less if not), the Canon 17-55 would be way more expensive but it's a beauty.

The way i see it, your 15-85 is covering is the 17mm-49mm range between your Tokina and your 50L. You're not finding that range very compelling to shoot in at the moment.

Covering it with a faster F/2.8 constant aperture zoom may make shooting in the range more compelling to you (I loved the image stabilization when I had a 15-85, but it still can't freeze motion or reduce depth of field like a bigger aperture can, which were factors for when I sold mine off).

Though you'd lose a bit on the long and short ends, 17-5X still makes for a useful "travel zoom" range.

Just tossing it out there...

thephotographynut
128 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 17, 2012 02:59 |  #15

tovarish wrote in post #14587161 (external link)
If you were me (and liked the 15-85) would you keep or sell? I hate holding on to stuff I don't use, but fear I'll regret selling it. Thanks!

I would keep it.

1- It's a great lens.
2- You probably won't get as much for it as you originally purchased it for.
3- If you decided to buy it back, based on inflation, you probably would end up paying even more then you original picked it up for.

I would hold on to it. Unless you were replacing it, it still can come in handy.

sponsored links

2,979 views & 0 likes for this thread
15-85 - Keep or sell?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.