Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Jun 2012 (Friday) 20:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

All about lenses

jmcgee131
249 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 16, 2012 08:07 |  #16

I say buy all the canon lenses they make and then it will satisfy your every need.

Feed back #1#2
Learning to read light one click at a time.

sponsored links
kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,800 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 16, 2012 08:27 as a reply to  @ jmcgee131's post |  #17

Buying Rebel and buying 2300$ EF dedicated medium fast zoom for "gatherings (e.g. Weddings)" just because you don't want to change lenses?
135L for crop body?
Kit lens AF is more then enough for people photography, even if they jump like crazy (happends on weddings too).
Start with EF-S 2.8 17-55 range zoom. Sigma, Tamron and Canon makes them. Check on Sigma 30 1.4 instead of Canon 50 1.4. If you going to try H&S portraits, 85mm prime is your focal length, not 135, it is way too long for indoor use on Rebel.
You not going to get any reasonable difference in IQ between overpriced, not available yet, non-IS Brick-II lens and EF-S IS analog for shooting office events without flash light.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

MrAl
282 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 16, 2012 09:02 as a reply to  @ kf095's post |  #18

My advice to the OP. Spend a great deal less time reading forums and grab a inexpensive EFs 18mm-135mm and spend more time shooting. Find the subject matter you really want to shoot and the focal length you shot most. Once you learn something about the craft you'll start learning about the art and maybe even more than one speed light will be part of your normal kit as well. There is no photography without light.

jmcgee131
249 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 16, 2012 09:41 |  #19

MrAl wrote in post #14587216 (external link)
There is no photography without light.

^^^
Awesome!!

Feed back #1#2
Learning to read light one click at a time.

Skul
92 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 16, 2012 09:55 |  #20

belias1989 wrote in post #14585588 (external link)
I don't have any shooting style. I currently have a kit lens that comes with the 600D and I find it okay with office gatherings and occasions, further reach will be nice. I also don't want on changing lens often since and I also don't want speed lights so that I can comfortably attend on gatherings (e.g. weddings) comfortably. Fast focusing is a must but image quality should not be sacrificed. To make it short I want a top quality lens for general purpose.

The imboldened just described what you need.
In other words, you need the 24-70 f/2.8.
The MkII is out, and it's about $2300.
The original is still easily available for $1700.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,381 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 16, 2012 11:25 |  #21

belias1989 wrote in post #14586598 (external link)
you got a point there, but I still have my 18-55 kit lens. 17-55 vs. 18-55 seems overlapping except for the quality of the glass. Kit lens still serve it's purpose.

you really think the 17-55 and 18-55 are in the same ballpark lens wise?...55mm f2.8 vs. 55mm f5.6 is a huge difference...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,378 views & 0 likes for this thread
All about lenses
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.