Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 14 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 19:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How are your inquiries? [Summer 2012 Edition]

brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 14, 2012 19:32 |  #1

Right now we're averaging a handful of inquiries per month, which we're attributing to the season and a lack of marketing in the right venues. Anyone else experiencing a summer slump?

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

sponsored links
Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 15, 2012 07:13 |  #2

Actually, I'm surprised by the level of interest. I've been getting 8-12 inquiries/month which is a lot for me as a part-timer. Of course, only booking a few of them as they're all seeing multiple photographers.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 15, 2012 07:30 |  #3

Peacefield wrote in post #14582378 (external link)
Actually, I'm surprised by the level of interest. I've been getting 8-12 inquiries/month which is a lot for me as a part-timer. Of course, only booking a few of them as they're all seeing multiple photographers.

Dude that's awesome.. personally, I think landing 3 out of 12 interviews is great. This is also coming from someone who's just getting into wedding photography.

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

tnis0612
233 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 15, 2012 09:34 |  #4

This is our first year doing weddings and we have a total of 10 this year, but only got 12 inquiries. Somehow we landed almost all of them. One of the brides was ready to book until her mom asked if she could get a free album...I said nicely that albums were expensive and we couldnt do that, and she dropped off the face of the earth. The other inquiry ended up going with another photographer that was 1/3 the price. We have 8-9 brides that we are currently in talks with for spring 2013 weddings and i'm hoping we land the majority of them.

5d Mark II, 7D
17-40L, 35L, 50L, 85 1.8, 70-200 2.8L IS II
www.stevenandlilyphoto​graphy.com (external link)

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 15, 2012 10:05 |  #5

^ I can't get over these numbers. To me, this is fantastic. Makes me think I'm doing something wrong.

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 15, 2012 11:56 |  #6

I seem to have no inquiries for a month and then get 4 or 5 in the same weekend. Last weekend I heard from 4 couples. This week I booked 3 of them. I probably won't book the 4th, though I'm happy with 75%.

I'd say of the clients I meet with, I have about a 75% booking record average. I think this is largely due to two main factors: 1) I'm in the upper edge of the low end in terms of pricing (and my pricing is clear on my site) and 2) I have lots of photos online and a blog, so folks generally have a good sense whether or not they like me and my style by the time we get together.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

215-photography
209 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 15, 2012 12:05 |  #7

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #14583494 (external link)
I seem to have no inquiries for a month and then get 4 or 5 in the same weekend.

I have the same trends. I had probably 10 inquiries in January/February, booked 3. Then absolutely nothing for 2 months and then I had about 8 inquiries in 2 weeks last month and booked 4 of those. Pretty random, I'm chalking it up to lots of people getting engaged at Xmas and then lots of people getting engaged in the spring lol.

5D mark III x2, 5D mark II, 35 Sigma F1.4, 50L, 85L, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 100 f/2.8 macro, and not enough lights.
Two Fifteen Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link)

johnpricephotography
94 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 15, 2012 12:13 |  #8

I aim for the mid market and by Feburary I closed the doors for the whole of 2012
2013 is already looking good.
From all my interviews this year i only lost to one, Another I turned down due to the demands they wanted. You just knew the bride was going to be chucky LOL.

i have not had any enquiries for the past 6 weeks, but my website logs show lots of interest i can see them clicking away after they have checked out my availability. I am not worried but I do know 2012 has been a good year.

Quote: Failure to prepare is preparing to fail
Nottingham Wedding Photographer - John Price Photography (external link)
2 x 5dmkIV, 1 x 5dmkIII all gripped, Canon 24-70 2.8LmkII, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS mkII, Canon 17-40L and ton more.. 5x 600ex-rt's

tnis0612
233 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 15, 2012 12:48 |  #9

JT, I do have my pricing listed on my site and a FAQ section that I hope answers a lot of questions people generally ask. It seems like by the time they email me they are pretty much ready to book. We don't generally get that many questions from emails. Only two people so far have wanted to meet in person and they ended up booking about 3 weeks later.

5d Mark II, 7D
17-40L, 35L, 50L, 85 1.8, 70-200 2.8L IS II
www.stevenandlilyphoto​graphy.com (external link)

mirrorrim
87 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 15, 2012 12:49 |  #10

I'm on the very low end because I'm so new to wedding photography (this is my first season). I put an ad in craigslist and got 6 inquiries and 4 bookings in a month. Much better than I thought I would do! I just shot an engagement session so I'm going to spiff up my CL ad and put it up again.

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 15, 2012 17:29 |  #11

I have very little going on right now. But that's mostly by design. We aren't accepting any new summer work and have made that pretty clear so inquiries dropped off. I've had some for the fall though...

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 15, 2012 20:20 |  #12

I'm maybe getting 2 or 3 a month at the moment tops.

This is deceptive though as my prices, portfolio and availability are all fully detailed on my website so I don't get really price shoppers or people seeing if I am free on their date... they already have all the information available.

It is also a little deceptive as 2012 was fully booked over 3 months ago and I'm already on 20 bookings for 2013 with the first half of 2013 being fairly solid which means that only people looking around at least 14 months in advance are finding that I'm available.

Virtually all enquiries directly from my website turn to bookings these days. I'f I meet with potential clients around 95% of them book.

I also get some people who contact me out of the blue and say that they want to book (no meeting, no prior emails nor conversations).

Peter

liverpool ­ 1
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 16, 2012 01:54 |  #13

I get more enquiries from other videographers and photogs than clients...England is hard in recession, everybody wants it for nothing... Tough cities even worse, plus the amount of people who facebook and say what are your prices, the website is right there in front of them, dddddddaaaa

iamchanel
82 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 16, 2012 10:28 |  #14

I'm in my first wedding season ever. I just actually shot my first one alone. I have had 2 other inquires so far. That's more than ZERO hahah I'm doing great.

My Blog :-) (external link)
Let's Be Friends :) (external link)

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 18, 2012 16:30 |  #15

mirrorrim wrote in post #14583772 (external link)
I'm on the very low end because I'm so new to wedding photography (this is my first season). I put an ad in craigslist and got 6 inquiries and 4 bookings in a month. Much better than I thought I would do! I just shot an engagement session so I'm going to spiff up my CL ad and put it up again.

^ Where are you located?

tnis0612 wrote in post #14583766 (external link)
JT, I do have my pricing listed on my site and a FAQ section that I hope answers a lot of questions people generally ask. It seems like by the time they email me they are pretty much ready to book. We don't generally get that many questions from emails. Only two people so far have wanted to meet in person and they ended up booking about 3 weeks later.

I visit your site often ;) Nice work.

As I build my experience and portfolio I hope I can do the same as you. I think forcing people to call or email me to discuss my packages and rates is a deterrent. (not sure)

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

sponsored links

4,227 views & 0 likes for this thread
How are your inquiries? [Summer 2012 Edition]
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.