Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 03:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Vanguard Skyborne vs Tenba Shootout?

Judsonzhao
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 12, 2012 03:01 |  #1

Links are here first:
Skyborne:
http://www.vanguardwor​ld.com …roducts/list-1-1-214.html (external link)

Shoutout:
http://www.tenba.com …/6/shootout/Bac​kpack.aspx (external link)

Both seems to be very good backpacks. In the dilemma.
Both solid and comfortable shoulder/waist straps.
Both have ability to load all my gear.
Centerline tripod carrier is awesome!

Skyborne seems to have a better venting system and side access
Shootout has side pockets to store lens which allows fast switching
The shoulder strap has the feature to lock the camera strap, which I'm nor sure for Skyborne.

Any thoughts on these two backpacks?

Thanks!!

Fly me away.

sponsored links
Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,840 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jun 12, 2012 08:04 |  #2

I haven't seen the Vanguard but I recently purchased the Tenba Shootout Medium and like it a lot. I hadn't heard of Tenba until I read a fairly recent thread about it along with some others being considered by the original poster (OP).

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1186615

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

pwaisnor
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 12, 2012 21:40 |  #3

I'm the product manager for Tenba, and I can certainly answer any questions for you. I would say briefly that the fundamental advantage to Tenba bags — before you even get to the features — is that all the professional bags are made with nylon, not polyester. And the rest of the materials and hardware are at the same level. That's more of a statement rather than a comparison, since I didn't want to bring a sales pitch to a forum.

I'm happy to answer more questions publicly here or over private message.

Judsonzhao
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 13, 2012 17:18 |  #4

Phoenixkh wrote in post #14567486 (external link)
I haven't seen the Vanguard but I recently purchased the Tenba Shootout Medium and like it a lot. I hadn't heard of Tenba until I read a fairly recent thread about it along with some others being considered by the original poster (OP).

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1186615

Thanks, reading

Fly me away.

Judsonzhao
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 13, 2012 17:22 |  #5

pwaisnor wrote in post #14571140 (external link)
I'm the product manager for Tenba, and I can certainly answer any questions for you. I would say briefly that the fundamental advantage to Tenba bags — before you even get to the features — is that all the professional bags are made with nylon, not polyester. And the rest of the materials and hardware are at the same level. That's more of a statement rather than a comparison, since I didn't want to bring a sales pitch to a forum.

Woo, cool!
One little question about shootout is that, if I don't put so many lenses and bodies, do you provide dividers or so which can separate the internal to two? I can put personal stuffs in the upper space and put my cameras in lower space.
Thank you

Fly me away.

pwaisnor
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 15, 2012 22:42 |  #6

Judsonzhao wrote in post #14575104 (external link)
Woo, cool!
One little question about shootout is that, if I don't put so many lenses and bodies, do you provide dividers or so which can separate the internal to two? I can put personal stuffs in the upper space and put my cameras in lower space.
Thank you

The dividers are completely adjustable, so you could remove the dividers in the top half and fill that space with personal things, and use the bottom for heavier gear. Also, the entire interior padded insert is removable so that if you want to use the backpack as a soft bag for hiking and don't need the padded structure, it all pulls out in one second. Then the bag becomes a really well made soft backpack, like a Jansport except with weather-sealed YKK zippers.

SteveJa
Goldmember
2,137 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 15, 2012 23:08 as a reply to  @ pwaisnor's post |  #7

I have had my Tenba Shootout for almost 3 years, and I have had no problems with it... and tell anyone and everyone looking for a backpack to check one out.

I have it full 7D grip with 17-40, 28mm , 50mm , 85mm 70-200mm , 100-400mm , 1.4tc , extension tubes , 430 flash , plus alot more little things... things I forget about....

Anyway, I take this everywhere I go, I hiked with it over 10miles a day.. gets alot of use..... will buy another when it wears out !!!!!!

Zenfolio (external link)
Flickr (external link)
FineArtAmerica (external link)

ntotrr
73 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 16, 2012 10:46 |  #8

pwaisnor wrote in post #14571140 (external link)

In the never-ending quest for the perfect camera bag, I've picked up a few Tenba bags along the way and still have them (messenger bag, messenger backpack, Mixx top loader, and a large shoulder bag). All of these bags are constructed to high standards are are extremely functional. Tenba makes some great bags.

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 16, 2012 17:53 |  #9

I'm a big fan of Tenba products. I own a couple of their bags and the quality is top notch. The materials are made to withstand use. One of my Tenba bags sees heavy use and it hasn't failed me yet. No, I'm not employed by Tenba, I just like their bags.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Judsonzhao
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 16, 2012 21:25 |  #10

Just touched the tenba shootout today
Truly good build-up. Medium size is bigger than I expected.
I'm considering small now..

Fly me away.

sponsored links

3,252 views & 0 likes for this thread
Vanguard Skyborne vs Tenba Shootout?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.