Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 10 Jun 2012 (Sunday) 07:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Marumi DHG Vari ND, experiences?

koffikapp
45 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 10, 2012 07:22 |  #1

I'm looking into buying a Vari ND filter, and from everything I've read, the one from Singh-Ray is by far the best, but I don't know if I can justify spending 400$ on a single filter.

I haven't really found any proper reviews of the Marumi DHG Vari ND filter (external link), and am curious to know if anyone here has any experience with and opinions of it? How does it compare to high-end filters like the Singh-Ray, does it have any of the issues that people normally complain about with Vari ND-filters, like cross-polarization and uneven densities with more than 6 stops, IQ loss on focal lengths above 100mm, etc.

Cheers

sponsored links
tewlman
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 11, 2012 16:45 |  #2

i wouldn't mind knowing if the Marumi is a quality product too, it is a lot less expensive than the competition...

My Gear My Flickr (external link)
some feedback
Like my photos? Then "like" my Facebook page! (external link)

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 15, 2012 16:52 as a reply to  @ tewlman's post |  #3

Well I just bought: 'Marumi 77mm 77 DHG Vari ND ND2 to ND400 400 Neutral Density.

It arrives on Tuesday June 19, 2012; will update with my opinion next week. If it performs anything like the Marumi CPL I will be very happy; if not it goes back.

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

koffikapp
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 15, 2012 17:39 |  #4

I bit the bullet and ended up buying it as well. Very happy with their Super DHG polarizer, so hopefully this will be on roughly the same level.

booja
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 15, 2012 21:08 |  #5

keep us updated. i was looking into these too

giskarded
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 15, 2012 23:49 |  #6

Have used the vari nd and color cast was a definite problem wider than 35mm.
Reflections when pointing directly at sun were worse than on other filters (probably due to adding extra layers of glass).
Still a great product for the price.

Unrising ­ Muffin
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 16, 2012 16:32 |  #7

I've used Marumi CPL since... ever. Never had any issue with them, sharpness stays about the same and color cast is almost null. Let us know how the vari ND goes, I'm pretty sure it's a great product for the price.

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 20, 2012 10:32 as a reply to  @ Unrising Muffin's post |  #8

Received the Marumi ND2-ND400 yesterday from my best friend Mr. UPS driver; initial thoughts are as follows:

Packaging: comes in the same package as the CPL filter by the same manufacture; nothing to get excited about, and I was not expecting a nice leather case as one would expect with the Singh Ray.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1103.photobuck​et.com …ographs/MarumiF​ilters.jpg (external link)

Build: It looks to be constructed out of the same aluminum material as the Super Circular PL.D, 77mm weights 2.4 oz. which is exactly 2(x) what the CPL weighed. The outer ring has 6 dots, 2 triangles and the words Min and Max. Rotation is very smooth feeling a lot like the CPL. Attaching to my Sigma 17-50 was very easy and is not prone to getting stuck like its cousin.

Initial Testing: Using my fountain in the backyard with the 60D mounted on a tripod, I took my initial shot at f/5 with a shutter speed of 1/800 at 38mm. I then screwed the ND2-ND400 on my lens and adjust to MAX; my shutter speed would need to be adjusted 9-stops, or 0.64 seconds. Using 0.5 seconds I took the next shot; interesting to note my camera had no problems with Auto Focus.

Both images were processed using DPP adjusting, sharpness, white balance, and color saturation equally; the Marumi at ND400 is slightly warmer, IQ is very crisp. I was also able turn the outer ring past the MAX mark yielding a full 1-sec exposure, with similar results.

http://i1103.photobuck​et.com …aphs/Fountain_T​est_01.jpg (external link)

http://i1103.photobuck​et.com …aphs/Fountain_T​est_02.jpg (external link)

The last thing I tried was attaching my CPL on my Sigma 17-50 and then attaching the ND400 on the front of that. I have not read anywhere that stacking the Marumi Variable ND with a CPL was advises, suggested, or even possible, but being adventurous I decided to see how bad IQ would be degraded.
The sun was just dipping behind my neighbor’s house, so I moved over to a rosebush, opened up my lens to f/2.8 with a focal length of 28mm, setting my SS to 1/200 and used the popup flash. I only took one shot with these settings but you can see from the results below that it is indeed possible to stack the ND400 in front of the CPL giving you more than 10-stops.

http://i1103.photobuck​et.com …graphs/Stacked_​Filter.jpg (external link)

Overall I am very pleased at the initial performance of the Marumi ND2-ND400; $130.00 USD seems a very good deal for the hobbyist like me. I will continue to do more extensive testing with my other lenses, to see how well it performs between 10-200mm.

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 20, 2012 11:52 as a reply to  @ Rocky Rhode's post |  #9

Fountain test with 1-second exposure f/5, 38mm (equivalent of close approx. ND1000; 1.28 sec would be exact) as described above; 60D was not able to auto focus at this extreme setting.

http://i1103.photobuck​et.com …aphs/Fountain_T​est_03.jpg (external link)

koffikapp
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 20, 2012 13:25 |  #10

Very nice! I was wondering how it would perform stacked with their SDHG CPL, glad to hear it seems to work.

I'll try and get some shots up after I receive mine as well.

Unrising ­ Muffin
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 20, 2012 22:08 |  #11

Rocky Rhode wrote in post #14606409 (external link)
... 60D was not able to auto focus at this extreme setting.

You might want to try lowering the vari to minimum (like .1) to focus and then adjust it to higher level.

Thanks for review, much helpful. Now I want one :D

booja
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 20, 2012 23:43 |  #12

wow the warm color cast is strong

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 22, 2012 11:34 as a reply to  @ booja's post |  #13

Magenta or "warm color cast" is very common with ND filters as IR is not blocked from hitting the sensor.

This is eaisly be adjusted in post.

hbomb69
255 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 26, 2012 04:11 |  #14

Great tests rocky...I am interested in buying one of these. Could I ask if you could shoot a couple of senarios.? Mainly a wide shot -24mm, say of a building with lots of sky in the picture and a telephoto shot say 200mm. I have found these focal lengths are we're the variND's I've tried seem to fall down..

Cheers mike

CANON 5D MKIII x 2 / CANON 50D / CANON 550D
http://www.michaelhard​castle.co.uk (external link)
Facebook.com/michaelha​rdcastlephotography

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 26, 2012 13:39 |  #15

hbomb69 wrote in post #14632807 (external link)
Great tests rocky...I am interested in buying one of these. Could I ask if you could shoot a couple of senarios.? Mainly a wide shot -24mm, say of a building with lots of sky in the picture and a telephoto shot say 200mm. I have found these focal lengths are we're the variND's I've tried seem to fall down..

Cheers mike

Vari nd filters will not work properly with focal lengths below 35mm. You will get the dreaded "x" vignetting.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

sponsored links

20,358 views & 0 likes for this thread
Marumi DHG Vari ND, experiences?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.