Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 08:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

advise on wide-angle lens?

_Steven89
107 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 14, 2012 08:40 |  #1

Love shooting wide angle, looking to pick something up next month..should i grab a ulta-zoom.. canon 10-22mm or tokina 11-16mm or go prime.. canon 14mm or sigma 20mm ??

note: i shoot crop and own the sigma 10mm fisheye and 30mm

sponsored links
ickmcdon
323 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 14, 2012 08:55 |  #2

10-22 Canon

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 14, 2012 09:57 |  #3

10-22 is very good.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 14, 2012 10:06 |  #4

A zoom will be the most versatile. And give you the widest options and the most choices. There simply are few truly wide prime lenses for crop.

Assuming your crop camera is not one of the early models (10D or earlier), so can take an EF-S lens...

10-22 Canon is one of the best in terms of IQ. Especially, it's unusually resistant to flare, which can be a problem shooting with an ultrawide. Some of the other options appear to be better built, the 10-22 is a bit plasticky, Canon's mid-grade/USM/gold stripe quality. It's a bit pricey, close to $900 US by the time you get the separately sold lens hood, but there is a $60 instant rebate on the lens right now that helps a little. Used they seem to sell for $600-650.

Personally I think the Tokina 12-24/4 is a very close second place in terms of IQ. It's just a little less wide and slightly less resistant to flare. It costs considerably less than the Canon - about $600 new and $400-450 used. Whether it's more durable than the 10-22 or not is hard to say... probably not much difference. It just seems better made... more similar to some L-series lenses. Doesn't have USM, but doesn't really need it. Focus is fast and quiet anyway. There are two versions of the 12-24/4, the original and a "Mark II", however you'll have a hard time telling any difference in the versions for Canon, the second version supposedly got some improved internal coatings. The second version in Nikon mount was a much bigger deal, got a focus motor added so it would work on all Nikon cameras. Tokina seems to have simply released new versions in all mounts at the same time. I own and use the original version of this lens.

If you really need f2.8, the Tokina 11-16/2.8 is the only option on an ultrawide zoom for crop cameras. It's similar in build to the Toki 12-24 and some folks think it's sharper than it or the Canon. However the trade-off to get f2.8 is that ultra-narrow range of focal lengths and the 11-16mm is much more prone to flare. Frankly, most people don't need f2.8 on an UWA lens, but only you can say whether you do or not. It sells for $700 new, though there currently is a $40 rebate, and might be found used for a bit less.

Sigma offers several ultrawide zooms. Their 10-20mm with variable aperture is one of the least expensive at about $480 new. This lens has been revised a couple times and I have not had the opportunity to try the most recent. An earlier version I compared was fine, but had more flare than the Canon or Toki 12-24. There also is a newer version, a more expensive 10-20/3.5 with faster, non-variable aperture and HSM (which is similar to Canon USM), that sells for about $650, though there currently is $50 instant rebate offered. I haven't tried this lens either.

Sigma also offers the widest of all ultrawides for crop cameras, 8-16mm. Such a wide lens can't help but have some pretty strong wide angle distortion effects, but isn't a fisheye. Haven't tried this lens either. It sells for $700 new. It's so wide, you can't use a filter on it.

Tamron makes a 10-24mm that has the widest range of focal lengths among crop camera ultrawides. It's one of the least expensive, at $500 usually, currently has a $50 mail-in rebate. I only tried it briefly, but felt this lens was a little soft around 20 to 24mm.

There is also a Sigma 12-24mm, now version II. This is actually a full-frame capable lens.... So it's one of the most expensive at $950 new, currently a $75 instant rebate is offered. In fact, this lens is the widest non-fisheye available for full frame cameras. As such, it tends to have pretty strong distortion effects: moustache, pincushion and barrel. A lot of people who use it also use a special software to correct for these (one s'ware is PTLens). It's a bit of a waste, buying this lens for use on a crop camera. There are lenses with less distortion available at lower cost.

The widest primes available, aside from a fisheye, are 14mm... that are all full frame capable.

The Canon 14mm is very, very expensive... The current Mark II version is well over $2000 US. It's a fine lens, but only you can say if it's worth that much. In the past, both Sigma and Tamron offered 14mm lenses to fit Canon EOS, but they no longer do. You might find one of these used. Can't compare them for you, but I wouldn't expect as good image quality as the Canon. Of course, they'll be a whole lot less expensive, too!

There is also a Rokinon/Samyang/Bower/​Vivitar 14mm f2.8 that's both manual focus and manual aperture (actually, the Vivitar lists as a 13mm, but it's the same lens in all these brands). Manual focus is no big deal with such a wide lens, manual aperture makes shooting slower and - when stopped down - makes the viewfinder dark and harder to manual focus. This is one of the more affordable lenses, at about $400 new.

As far as I know, none of the 14mm lenses can be fitted with standard filters... they all have strongly protruding front lens elements and built in lens hoods. Usually this type of lens requires a special lens cap. Some have a means of adding a gel filter to the rear of the lens.

I believe there is a Zeiss ZE 15mm available or coming soon. Don't know much about it, but this should be quite a nice lens (Zeiss have a reputation for very high quality), full frame capable, manual focus but electronically controlled aperture. I'd expect it will be quite expensive. Zeiss currently offers a ZE 21mm, too, though that won't be very wide on a crop camera.

The Canon EF-S 15-85 IS is a compact, versatile walk-around lens that desrves mentioin here because it just barely gets into ultrawide angle territory. It's the widest of the "standard zooms" and has a lot of fans for it's high image quality, USM, IS.

Tokina used to make a 17mm f3.5 for Canon. It can sometimes be found used. I haven't had a chance to try one, but keep in mind that 17mm on crop is merely "wide"... not ultrawide. Of course there is also the Canon 17mm f4L TS-E or Tilt-Shift lens... manual focus and very, very expensive... for a lens that not all that wide on a crop camera.

Canon offers an EF 20/2.8 that's a very nice, full frame lens. I have and use one. I like it a lot on both FF and crop cameras, but it's only slightly wide on crop. It's about a $500 lens, new... plus the cost of the separately sold lens hood. Sigma 20/1.8 is an alternative, comes with a lens hood but is more expensive, quite a bit bigger and heavier, and when I tried one I wasn't as impressed with the image quality. There is also an ultra-compact, manual focus Voigtlander 20/3.5 made for Canon... I don't know much about it.

I won't get into zooms starting at 16mm and 17mm... there are a bunch of those, both "crop only" and full frame models. They just aren't particularly wide when used on crop.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

raptor117
362 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 14, 2012 10:20 |  #5

I have Tokina UWA 11-16. Great wide angle lens for land/seascapes, architectural, tight shots. Great for low light wide shots as it's the only uwa zoom with constant f/2.8 :)

Canon 6D | Canon 17-40L | Sigma 12-24ii | Canon 24-70 f/4L IS | Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC | Canon 70-300L | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon 85 1.2Lii | Canon 135L
Canon 7D | Sigma 50-150 OS

DrmnOfMaui
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 14, 2012 10:35 as a reply to  @ raptor117's post |  #6

Thank for all the detailed info! We are headed to Venice this summer and I didn't want to go without a wide angle. The 10-22 is currently on its way via UPS and I feel a little like a kid at Christmas waiting for my present! Can't wait for it to arrive and I'm eager to give it a workout.

Kim

60D |Canon 60 mm macro | Canon Kit - 18-55 | Canon 55-250 | Nifty 50 | Dreaming of the Canon 10-22

mike3767
242 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 15, 2012 19:57 |  #7

Don't forget about the 17mm TSE lens. I'd say that's the best wide angle lens out there!

Canon 5D MKII, TS-E 17Lmm, 100Lmm Macro,24-70Lmm, 70-200LIImm

Roy ­ Webber
Goldmember
3,185 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 16, 2012 04:55 |  #8

raptor117 wrote in post #14578189 (external link)
I have Tokina UWA 11-16. Great wide angle lens for land/seascapes, architectural, tight shots. Great for low light wide shots as it's the only uwa zoom with constant f/2.8 :)

Great lens...and superior build to the Canon, as I have experienced with a faulty usm!

The repair cost was not much lower than buying a NEW Tokina....a no brainer!

Canon 7D, 40D,100-400 IS L, EFS 15-85 IS, EFS 10-22-With Faulty USM, 055XPROB+488RC2, 430 & 580 II Flash, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8-:cool:
Photos (external link)

Preeb
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 16, 2012 10:55 |  #9

Roy Webber wrote in post #14586822 (external link)
Great lens...and superior build to the Canon, as I have experienced with a faulty usm!

The repair cost was not much lower than buying a NEW Tokina....a no brainer!

Unless of course like me you want the more useful zoom range of the Canon. Just because you got a bad one doesn't somehow make it a crappy lens. Most owners rave about it. That is the real key to me, because people are more likely to complain if they have a problem and say nothing if they don't. The fact that you rarely hear complaints and constantly hear praise heaped on this lens seems like a significant recommendation to me. I absolutely love mine, and the overlap with my 17-55 means fewer lens changes.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

dalephill2
106 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 16, 2012 14:09 |  #10

I use the 10-22 on my ef bodies and efs bodies, with fantastic results, so i'm not just limited to an efs body. The lens works on my 1DMKIIn, as well as 1DsMKII, and 60D, I have examples here and on this link. I actually get wider on my MKIIN with fantastic results great walk around lens as well, lite and fun, its not as wide on my efs bodies, 60D, t3I, 10D 20D. I get very slight vinging in the MKIIN at 12mm but very acceptable results...

link to the thread
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1195698

pics of the 10-22 on the MKIIn

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

jjj5278
448 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 16, 2012 17:04 |  #11

The Sigma 8-16mm wasn't mentioned?....I went through this recently and looked all the ones you listed, plus others listed here and I just loved the EXTREME wide angle of 8mm. It is about the same price as the 10-22mm and gives you 2 more mm. I love it, but I'm still learning how to use all my gear, haha.

More stuff than skill

_Steven89
THREAD ­ STARTER
107 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 17, 2012 00:45 |  #12

mike3767 wrote in post #14585399 (external link)
Don't forget about the 17mm TSE lens. I'd say that's the best wide angle lens out there!

I Don't know much about the tilt-shift and it has the field of view of 27mm on my body:-|
I want to stay prime and i want to go with a canon-lens..The 10-22mm looks sweet but I'm either going with the 14mm or 17mm TSE ill just have to wait a couple months instead:)

Unrising ­ Muffin
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 17, 2012 18:22 |  #13

+1 for the Canon 10-22mm. This is an incredible lens.

StandingInTimePhotography
53 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 17, 2012 18:41 |  #14

I have almost all L glass except my 11-16 f/2.8 Tokina. Just couldn't justify the extra money when the Tokina is very worthy and friendlier priced.

SmugMug (external link) : mail (external link) : facebook (external link)

_Steven89
THREAD ­ STARTER
107 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 18, 2012 09:59 as a reply to  @ StandingInTimePhotography's post |  #15

Canon>Tokina .. If i don't go with the prime i'm 100% not getting Tokina and the MFD is better on the canon and that is huge for me, anyway how will the 10mm fish-eye look compared to the 10-22mm at 10

sponsored links

2,529 views & 0 likes for this thread
advise on wide-angle lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.