Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 26 Aug 2005 (Friday) 07:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Grabber

Airedale1
Cream of the Crop
6,020 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 26, 2005 07:43 |  #1

I don't know how many here will remember this variation of the Ford Maverick. "The Grabber", as it was called was an available factory trim package on the Maverick, from 1970 to 1975. This one was all original and is either a 71' or a 72'. With the also available at the time factory 302 V8, these littlle cars could really light em' up.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sony RX10 M4
Canon S90

sponsored links
Ballen ­ Photo
Cream of the Crop
20,716 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Nov 2003

Aug 26, 2005 08:56 |  #2

I remember those. In fact, I owned one. It was equipped with a 302 2 BBL carb and had a C4 automatic trans. The car wasn't "muscle car" fast, but as you said, you could really light em up. This would have been a good car to build, as it already had a V8 in a light body. It was a fun car. ;)
Thanks for posting this little memory. :D
-Bruce

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

insomnia
362 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 26, 2005 14:34 |  #3

Jeeze Bruce, seems like you've owned one of everything :shock:

Nice pic and cool car.

350d & kit lens, GII & kit lens, sigma 70-300 APO Super II, S50.

Ballen ­ Photo
Cream of the Crop
20,716 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Aug 26, 2005 17:01 as a reply to  @ insomnia's post |  #4

insomnia wrote:
Jeeze Bruce, seems like you've owned one of everything :shock:

Nice pic and cool car.

I once counted the old cars I had, now I forgot the number again. I'm a prime example of one of those guys that wished He had kept all of them, but instead...............;)
-Bruce

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

insomnia
362 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 26, 2005 19:14 as a reply to  @ Ballen Photo's post |  #5

Ballen Photo wrote:
I once counted the old cars I had, now I forgot the number again. I'm a prime example of one of those guys that wished He had kept all of them, but instead...............;)
-Bruce

Well at least you got the chance to drive and own them though... wish I could say the same :lol:

350d & kit lens, GII & kit lens, sigma 70-300 APO Super II, S50.

Ballen ­ Photo
Cream of the Crop
20,716 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Aug 26, 2005 19:30 as a reply to  @ insomnia's post |  #6

insomnia wrote:
Well at least you got the chance to drive and own them though... wish I could say the same :lol:

Careful what you wish for. Just think about where that puts me age wise. :rolleyes: The 70's were definitely FUN, though. ;)
-Bruce

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Aug 26, 2005 23:29 as a reply to  @ Ballen Photo's post |  #7

Ballen Photo wrote:
Careful what you wish for. Just think about where that puts me age wise. :rolleyes: The 70's were definitely FUN, though. ;)
-Bruce

I agree. Great fun. We all have to be some age and some of us have to be different ages. I am happy being the age I am.

Love the cars from the 70's. They really bring back some great memories.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

Ballen ­ Photo
Cream of the Crop
20,716 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Aug 26, 2005 23:35 as a reply to  @ rklepper's post |  #8

rklepper wrote:
I agree. Great fun. We all have to be some age and some of us have to be different ages. I am happy being the age I am.

Love the cars from the 70's. They really bring back some great memories.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to trade those memories for anything. ;)
-Bruce

Jim_T
Goldmember
3,306 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Aug 27, 2005 09:49 |  #9

Wow.. Definitely brings back memories.. I had a 1970 bright yellow Maverick Grabber.. It was the first brand new car I ever owned.. It cost $2700 new off the show room floor and gas was 55 cents a gallon..

these things are rare because they weren't particularly collectable. Not like classic muscle cars like the Corvette or Charger..

Good shot :)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,715 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jun 06, 2012 11:51 |  #10

I don't know if there's a rule about bumping old threads but I just had to add that the maverick is a 1972. You can tell by the stripes. 72 has a break in the middle of the hood decal, 71 did not.

Also they're not rare at all, they made millions of them. The only rare one would be the Shelby one.
But you can pick up a restored Grabber for 5K, it's the cheap man's muscle car.

It's kinda funny how I know all this about these cars and I'm not even 24 yet. I like going to car shows and the old guys learn stuff from me :)

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

huntnthyme1
Goldmember
1,215 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 06, 2012 12:31 |  #11

Nice find. I had a green Maverick with a 302 v8 3 speed manual, when i graduated from High School in '77... that thing could all A.. well you know..

My Stuff

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,710 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 07, 2012 23:00 |  #12

I heard there was no glove box in these. confirm or rumor?

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,715 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 08, 2012 00:06 |  #13

1969-mid 73 had a package tray.
late73-77 got a glove box, well it's barely one.
All you can fit is a manual, It's only like 10 cubic inches.

Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

crimsonblack
Goldmember
2,052 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 17, 2012 20:12 |  #14

Beautiful. the Mavrick was the ugliest cars and loaded with enough power to make your teeth rattle when you slammed into your see burying the pedal to the floor. Amazing cars.

| 7D Gripped | 28-135 f/3.5-4.6 | 50 f/1.8 || --- Sony F717 digital (infrared) --- Bunch of Film Stuff:- | Nikon & Nikkormat | 50/28/70-150/400 | B & J 4x5 large format | Mamiya C220 |
BurntEffects.com (external link)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,715 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 17, 2012 20:37 |  #15

You got that backwards. The maverick was one of the best looking 70s car, just look at the Vega and Pinto.

They didn't have a lot of power, the top engine was a 210HP. And that was only available for one year since emissions kicked in and killed the horsepower in these engines.

Of course it was easily to modify the engine to make 300HP with just a some engine work. Which in a under-3,000 lb car is really quick. These cars were light, even lighter than today's plastic cars!

sponsored links

2,174 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Grabber
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.