Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk 
Thread started 18 Jun 2012 (Monday) 00:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Smuggling 'big' cameras into concert arenas.

Poosen
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 18, 2012 00:46 |  #1

Simply, I'm attending the Gaga BTW concert on the 24th june 2012 in Sydney, and I bought a canon1100D stupidly, without checking the entry requirements to the Allphones Arena in Sydney, which does not allow 'big and professional' cameras. I'm dead inside, seeming as this concert will be a once in a lifetime experience for me, I'm flying interstate to see her, and I'd just love good quality photos for my own enjoyment. I'm very young, 15, so I'm obviously not a professional. I sent the arena an email:

http://tinypic.com/vie​w.php?pic=2crrs6c&s=6 (external link)
http://tinypic.com/vie​w.php?pic=6zo3sy&s=6 (external link) (Thought I owned them with that last inquiry.)

Feeling sick to my stomach about this, I'm SO devastated. This black and white rule is complete bull----. :cry:

Main question: Has anyone been successful within sneaking 'big' cameras into concert arenas or grounds where they are disallowed?

I was thinking of cutting the lining of my small bad open and placing the camera and 300mm lens attached under there. I've done it and you wouldn't suspect a thing at ALL, but there is the possibility of metal detector checks. If I get caught out, I'd accept it, but it would ruin the night, so it's a big risk to take. It could work or it couldn't. I'd hate to be caught out during the concert if I got past the bouncers. Part of me wants to because point and shoot cameras for concerts are just crap, but part of me is absolutely shi-ting it. I know there are rules to abide by, but the sneaky bast-rd side of me is still there tempting me. Like I said, i'm fully responsible if I get caught out. I don't know. It's so annoying.

SO dissapointed, sick to my stomach. Kind of ironic when gaga yells 'take my picture little monsters.'

Once who has been successful with 'smuggling" - extremely jealous. http://www.flickr.com …m/sets/72157624​410297443/ (external link)

sponsored links
rebelwithacause
201 posts
Joined Jan 2012
Location: Southern Illinois(not as flat as I thought it would be)

Jun 18, 2012 01:06 |  #2

I would leave the camera at home. Also, this is officially the funniest first post I've ever seen. Are u seriously flying just to go to a lady Gaga concern?

One day I was walking on the street and somebody handed me a camera. I looked at them and said, "This is not a Canon, what do I look like? A charity case?" So I took it, and THREW IT ON THE GROUND!
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/rebelwithacause​6 (external link)

rebelwithacause
201 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 18, 2012 01:10 as a reply to  @ rebelwithacause's post |  #3

Additionally, from personal experience, you'll enjoy the concert much more without the camera and the hassle of worrying abouy gettig caught. You can always buy a poster of the performer later.

One day I was walking on the street and somebody handed me a camera. I looked at them and said, "This is not a Canon, what do I look like? A charity case?" So I took it, and THREW IT ON THE GROUND!

Poosen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 18, 2012 01:12 as a reply to  @ rebelwithacause's post |  #4

Sarcastic remarks not needed. -_-

rebelwithacause
201 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 18, 2012 01:24 as a reply to  @ Poosen's post |  #5

Didn't mean sarcasm. Truth is, if u get caught with the camera it (like u said) will put a huge damper on your night. Sounds like your investing quite a bit of time and money into seeing her and it would be a bummer to have that ruined.

rebelwithacause
201 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 18, 2012 01:29 as a reply to  @ rebelwithacause's post |  #6

Also, with the lenses you mentioned you may have a hard time getting fantastic photos depending on the lighting and the seats u have

Poosen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 18, 2012 01:37 |  #7

I have a 300mm lens, I've tested it in all/well majority of low light situations, settings in manual work perfectly.

rebelwithacause
201 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 18, 2012 01:41 as a reply to  @ Poosen's post |  #8

I missed that, much like u missed my point. Follow the rules, leave the camera at home

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 18, 2012 01:42 |  #9

I like how the second email makes it totally obvious that you're considering sneaking a bag in. I don't know how concerts go down there, but here bags/purses get searched. Just enjoy the concert and leave the camera at home. Chances are that you'll be able to find pictures online from the concert anyway.

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Jun 18, 2012 01:44 |  #10

You asked, they told you no. What makes you feel that you are so entitled to be exempt from their rules? It isn't unusual for people to be tossed from venues for trying to circumvent the rules. Why not just play by the rules and enjoy the show without having to worry about what might happen next?

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

Poosen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 18, 2012 01:49 |  #11

Calm down.
It doesn't really, asking about bag sizes doesn't suggest anything. Although my pathetic plan says otherwise, I haven't actually stated that in my email.

To be honest, I feel embarrassed about looking so desperate and rude as though i'm exempt, I'm just really pissed off with the black and white rules. I know a lot of people who obviously are, but you know. All I want is a photo to remember, so I can't help but think 'stuff them'. I know I sound horrible and bratty.

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 18, 2012 01:54 |  #12

You do sound horrible and bratty, and you're being rude to people giving you advice that you asked for. If you already made up in your mind that you were going to sneak it in, then there was no sense in asking for opinions.

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

rebelwithacause
201 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 18, 2012 01:57 as a reply to  @ Poosen's post |  #13

End to previous post sums up my thoughts to a tee. I think you're off on the wrong foot. This is a wonderful website and many of these fine folks will help you out if at all possible. I personally would refrain from telling longtime members to calm down.

Poosen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 18, 2012 02:01 |  #14

Look, apologies for anything, but hopefully to a point you can understand why i'm irritated, especially with comments like 'Also, this is officially the funniest first post I've ever seen. Are u seriously flying just to go to a lady Gaga concern?' Or 'I love how...'. It's just a bit 'stuck up'. Come on.

I haven't said I'm biting the bullet and going ahead, i'm asking if anyone has successfully done it and produced great photos.

Anyway.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 18, 2012 02:11 |  #15

Poosen wrote in post #14593904 (external link)
SO dissapointed, sick to my stomach. Kind of ironic when gaga yells 'take my picture little monsters.'

Email her or post on her twitter or whatever and ask how you're supposed to take her picture when you can't bring your camera inside. Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll get picked up by one of those weird magazines or "news"papers.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

sponsored links

17,504 views & 0 likes for this thread
Smuggling 'big' cameras into concert arenas.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.