Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 18 Jun 2012 (Monday) 07:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please critique my brand new website

shaneh
56 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 18, 2012 07:30 |  #1

In the process of changing up the name and shooting more. I will post another post once i have my other site down. Thank you for all the critique below. They all really helped. Thank you!

Canon 7D | 18-55 f2.8 | 70-200 f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | Rokinon 3.5mm Fisheye
Need Logo Work? Look no Further! Professional and Affordable Logo Designer | Click Me

sponsored links
FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 18, 2012 09:45 |  #2

"Behind the camera page: - The grammar on the first sentence needs work
Did you win a silver metal or medal?

"I also enjoy making videos or even shooting video's, dont like the grammar here either....

You've made your about us page a png, google will not be able to read this

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 18, 2012 18:35 |  #3

My critique--or what I noticed in 30 seconds:

In terms of SEO: Good meta description, not so good Title tag. Your title tag will not get you found organically through google. You need your location in there.

image on main screen look like it is clickable. When I clicked on what I thought was a link below the images, I was surprised to see a larger version of that image. I expected to be taken to the 'event' gallery when I clicked on 'event'.

Some photo presentation looks unfinished, lacking borders, badly arranged, crammed in. Most of your text is alright in terms of tone; a few grammatical mistakes as pointed out above. It's great that you won awards (for ?) and that you have hobbies, but it does feel strange to see this on what I expect is a business site. Perhaps it works for you at this stage as you're developing.

Listing your gear is unnecessary. I wouldn't. I'd let your photos speak for themselves. You're veering out of 'simple' territory in terms of web design.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

renlok
249 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 18, 2012 21:32 |  #4

I agree with everything above 2 posters have said

heres my few notes:

Behind the camera page: please make the text, text and not have it in the image. The image links to itself, either remove the link or link to something more meaningful(same with all the other big images). There are also some spacing issues, which makes it look alittle unprofessional.

Facebook icon IMO is abit too big. could be 1/4 of that size.

Home page has too much space between the text and the facebook icon.

My biggest concern is , you are "specializing in senior/family portraits and events" I don't see any seniors or families or events images.

Renlok (external link) | G+ (external link)
Canon 70D | Canon 5D MKii | 35L | Sigma 24-105 | 100L | 85 | Sigma 150-500

shaneh
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 19, 2012 00:11 |  #5

Thanks guys so much for the critique! i am going to go ahead and change the about me section of the website. i dont know how to put a picture on the side of the text so thats why i uploaded it as an image.

Also concerning the specializing part, i dont really have that many pictures to show off. Still in the beginning development of my business and plan to grow and develop a larger portfolio.

Thanks for all your opinions, what about the site layout to you think its working well?

Need Logo Work? Look no Further! Professional and Affordable Logo Designer | Click Me

supernova74
957 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 19, 2012 02:53 |  #6

Your 18-55 2.8 is actually a 17-552.8...

Mark
Canon 5DMKII. 50D. EF 70-200 f2.8 II L, EF 24-70 L, 50mm f/1.8 II, Speedlite 580EX II, 15mm Fisheye
Facebook (external link)

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 19, 2012 03:56 |  #7

shaneh wrote in post #14599216 (external link)
Thanks guys so much for the critique! i am going to go ahead and change the about me section of the website. i dont know how to put a picture on the side of the text so thats why i uploaded it as an image.

Also concerning the specializing part, i dont really have that many pictures to show off. Still in the beginning development of my business and plan to grow and develop a larger portfolio.

Thanks for all your opinions, what about the site layout to you think its working well?

Align images with text: http://imagecss.com/ (external link)

Ask your family and friends to sit for you

shaneh
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 19, 2012 04:18 |  #8

FerozeK wrote in post #14599642 (external link)
Align images with text: http://imagecss.com/ (external link)

Ask your family and friends to sit for you

Thank you so much, that link really helps now. i can do so much more....

And yeah im getting my friends to sit for me, just gotta get out and shoot more!

supernova- thanks for spotting that.....i always write 18 for some reason.

Drixar
253 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 19, 2012 08:47 |  #9

i think the site is a good start however im not a fan of the bog standard font and then the ''lucida hand writting'' font or w/e it is undernieth i dont think they complioment each other at all.

the white middle you have for your content to sit on im just not keen of it looks like a template from a free website builder, if your going to hand out cards and what not i would work on making the sight more pleasing to the eye.

sorry if this is harsh but this is what i thought when i opened your website, image wise, i like it.

Canon 400D(Rebel XTi) | 15-55mm kit lens | 50mm 1.8 MII |Raynox 250 macro conversion | Cheap Extension Tubes | 55-250 IS II.
Note; I am able to Design logo's upon request.
My Razzi (external link)

PhotogNY
601 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 19, 2012 09:36 |  #10

shaneh wrote in post #14599216 (external link)
Also concerning the specializing part, i dont really have that many pictures to show off.

Don't take this the wrong way, but maybe if you have minimal photography experience (no portfolio, hardly any pics) your page should focus on learning your craft first instead of making money? I mean, you're a photographer without any pictures, and you have a "My Staff" page? Maybe you should get rid of all the "Investment" and "staff" and third party language nonsense and focus solely on building your portfolio with interesting pictures? Maybe second shoot for a local wedding photographer for a while to build up your portfolio, or go approach some really interesting local characters and offer to shoot their portrait for free, then blog about the experience. There's really no reason for anyone to pay you anything without showing off your capabilities first. So maybe focus on that for a couple of months at least? Just a suggestion, made with the best intensions.

Photographer's Guide to Copyright Law Basics (external link)

habro
58 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 26, 2012 03:15 |  #11

Before I start, I have to 100% agree with PhotogNY. You're putting the cart before the horse. And all this time you're spending making and refining a website that might be redundant in 3 months (because you'll likely change your branding) is time that could be spent on gaining a portfolio. Albeit;

I have to click across to get to the second half of the menu? Expect a larger bounce rate than normal. I like the split menu though and the initial background image is good... although why is the second menu background just stock colours?

Centred text on your About page... not a good design tool.

The load time does not seem great, I don't know if it's just a bad time when I'm accessing it or if the site infrastructure isn't great.

Your logo should link back to your homepage. Otherwise how do I get back Home once I'm in a menu? Asides from clicking the broken G+ and Skype buttons...

The About page, the sentence is way too long. And I have to read too far to find out what it is Aspire actually does. And "...your opportunities are endless." What does that mean?

Oh, there's a little 'x' to close the page I'm on and go to the homepage... not very intuitive, maybe it's just because the red colour doesn't stand out.

Your Pricing page... you're bagging out other photographers for only doing 'half their job.' I supply a DVD with over 500 printable, fully edited and at least printable up to 1m wide images. But I don't say you only do half your job. Stick to what you do well, not what you don't think other photographers do well. Clients will see you bagging out competition and typically that doesn't bode well on your integrity.

Maybe ditch the 'catalogs' link. It's a completely different website with so many images that aren't yours, it really isn't necessary IMO. And your external links (ie ezphoto) should be all _blank links. You never want to send a potential client away from your site, so make sure external links are opening a new window/tab.
Again, your Printing page links out to that other site. Most customers know what a canvas etc is. If you present too many options, the answer will be "no."

I only had a quick scan, but I can't see any meta tags. You NEED meta tags for Google to find you.

Your overall aesthetic is quite nice, but derailed by your 1998 MS Word logo up the top.

Your Home page isn't your home page. It's another (and better) About page. Home should be home, the first thing they saw when they entered your site. I'd replace your About copy with your Home copy.

More and more people are looking for a "personal touch". I can't see your name or anything about you on the site at all.

They grey text and grey arrows are too dark. If I slump down on my chair, both disappear at not much of an angle (on my cheap work monitor which has a bad viewing angle, like 90% of the population)

+1 replacing that image with actual text. And "portrait" is spelt incorrectly on that image.

Wedding Photographer (external link) shooting Canon

habro
58 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 26, 2012 03:18 |  #12

Sorry that is all so to-the-point, but I was walking out the door in two minutes so it was that or nothing. Don't mistake the bluntness as meanness! I critique websites a LOT and don't see the point in sugar-coating things, afterall they're all only my opinions. If everyone's sites were the same, the internet would be a pretty boring place (but I'd be happy :))

Wedding Photographer (external link) shooting Canon

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 26, 2012 05:19 |  #13

I don't know if you updated the About section yet but it still needs work. The last two sentences are both run ons.

BLOG (external link)| flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 26, 2012 06:25 |  #14

People don't care what kind of equipment you own. I'd eliminate that section.

Dave Hoffmann

sponsored links

2,756 views & 0 likes for this thread
Please critique my brand new website
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.