Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 15 Jun 2012 (Friday) 09:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you photograph parts of the wedding that your clients dont want?

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,148 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jun 15, 2012 19:11 |  #16

or people looking at their pics will say, I can't believe that crummy photographer didn't even get pics of cutting the cake/first dance/etc.

And when people say that, the B&G will just agree that the photographer goofed rather than admit they committed what is now revealed as an error.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 15, 2012 19:59 |  #17

Unless they don't want those photos for very specific reasons and they would actually get offended by you shooting them, I would just shoot them. Better to have them and not have to use them than the other way around.

Or just make sure it's stipulated in the contract to have your end covered...

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 15, 2012 20:05 |  #18

Very odd requests, I've had couples not have a cake before or not do a bridal waltz but that is not unusual as every wedding is different... but for a client to deliberately ask me NOT to take photos of parts of the reception is something I have never come across.

Given that you are new at this, as with others I highly suspect there is some miscommunication as it is so unusual, especially to have three couples that way inlcined. I agree with what Tim said that there must be something in the way you have approached these couples to lead them to this... it is very, very strange.

I'd cover your behind in writing... have it explicitly stated as to what they do and don't want photographing during the receptions... if not I'd be expecting you to end up with a few major headaches in the future.

Peter

mirrorrim
THREAD ­ STARTER
87 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 18, 2012 12:29 |  #19

I sent a timeline and details email to the bride whose wedding is in 2 weeks. This is the 3rd time I've asked her about more photos other than the reception "atmosphere" and the 3rd time she has politely declined. As I mentioned before she is getting a disc of images with no limit to how many photos are included. Here is an excerpt of the email:

ME: As for the reception, I want to make sure I know what photos you'd like to have. I know for sure you want the decorations and atmosphere. Are you having a cake cutting, first dance, toasts, etc?

Bride: As people arrive for cocktails at six a few photos of them and the atmosphere of the reception would be great. You will probably be free to go around 6:30pm. We do not need photos of the toasts or dinner or the cake cutting. I hope this doesn't sound too curmudgeonly not wanting too many photos, but we just want a few special ones mostly of the hike, ceremony and around the Inn of us.

She's made it very clear to me throughout her communications that the hike photos are most important to her. Perhaps one of you can read more into my email/her response?

I will be sending similar questionnaires to the rest of my brides as their weddings get closer.

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 18, 2012 13:15 as a reply to  @ mirrorrim's post |  #20

Sounds like she wants an intimate event. If that's really the case I would respect their request to not take any photos. But I had initially suspected this was due to budget (ie they thought they have to pay more for you to stay for the other events). In that case I would stay anyway and shoot the whole thing for them and give them the photos anyway.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 19, 2012 07:41 |  #21

The only thing I've ever had a client tell me is to avoid shots that they view as cheesy; they've specified things like a jump shot, rings in the bouquet, etc. I can't imagine being asked not to photograph the first dance or the toast. Maybe they're afraid that you will be too intrusive?

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

awad
Goldmember
1,067 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 19, 2012 19:01 |  #22

brokensocial wrote in post #14583440 (external link)
We're the opposite. There's stuff we don't shoot unless our clients ask us to (e.g., ring shots).

really? that's real odd to me. I shoot the same stuff every wedding. Keeps me from forgetting the standard shots I need to take. The bride and groom will tell me anything special they want. But I've never really had a bride tell me to take a photo of their rings, I always thought it was implied.

Anyways, Whenever I run into a bride that tells me that she doesn't want me photographing the last parts of the reception, it's due to the fact that their budget constraints stop them from being able to afford us for any more time.

So we say "no problem" then we stick around and shoot it all anyways, we're already there. What's another hour?

http://www.redfieldpho​to.com (external link)
http://www.theredfield​blog.com (external link)

davisphotos
190 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 20, 2012 11:18 |  #23

I've had clients that don't do the traditional wedding things-no cake cutting, bouquet toss, garter or any of that, but if it happens at the wedding, I photograph it. Like brokensocial, I have a number of shots I will only get if I'm asked, like the posed shots and rings. They may mean they don't want those standard shots set up, or they might not be doing those at the wedding.

Maine Wedding Photographer Andrew Davis (external link)
New England Commercial Photography (external link)
Andrew Davis Photography Blog (external link)

brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 21, 2012 00:01 |  #24

awad wrote in post #14603007 (external link)
really? that's real odd to me. I shoot the same stuff every wedding. Keeps me from forgetting the standard shots I need to take. The bride and groom will tell me anything special they want. But I've never really had a bride tell me to take a photo of their rings, I always thought it was implied.

I'd wager most of the stuff we shoot is similar besides the ring shot. Oh, and we also don't shoot while folks are eating, as a rule.

So we say "no problem" then we stick around and shoot it all anyways, we're already there. What's another hour?

Now this is odd to me, but that's just because only one of our weddings so far has been under 8 hours. When we're shooting for 10h+ straight, when contracted hours are done, so are we.

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

awad
Goldmember
1,067 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 21, 2012 09:19 |  #25

yeah. definitely no shooting while people are eating. those never turn out well. haha.

as far as staying til everything's over...like i said, if the budget is stopping them from paying us for the last hour or so of the reception. we'll just do it and exceed their expectations of us. it's all about perceived value. if they see we're willing to go above and beyond for them. they'll be more likely to recommend us to their friends and family.

http://www.redfieldpho​to.com (external link)
http://www.theredfield​blog.com (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,148 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jun 21, 2012 10:34 |  #26

awad wrote in post #14611205 (external link)
yeah. definitely no shooting while people are eating. those never turn out well. haha.

as far as staying til everything's over...like i said, if the budget is stopping them from paying us for the last hour or so of the reception. we'll just do it and exceed their expectations of us. it's all about perceived value. if they see we're willing to go above and beyond for them. they'll be more likely to recommend us to their friends and family.

I've seen some very effective shots of the bride and groom as they kibbitz from table to table during the meal.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 22, 2012 15:52 |  #27

My initial thought on the "no cake cutting photos" request, is that the B&G have been to weddings in the past where the photographer was overly intrusive during those special parts of the event - setting up umbrellas that blocked others' view, shoving guests out of the way to get the shot, etc. That would certainly turn me off from asking for those types of shots.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,109 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 27, 2012 15:47 |  #28

RDKirk wrote in post #14611493 (external link)
I've seen some very effective shots of the bride and groom as they kibbitz from table to table during the meal.

The one of the bride bent over the table revealing some fun bits while dirty uncle larry has no clue what she is saying, but is staring intently at her while he's already half drunk?

LMAO

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 27, 2012 20:28 |  #29

I just had a bride email me, asking me to eliminate 115 images from her photos online (via my SmugMug site) so her new in-laws wouldn't be able to access them!

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

sponsored links

3,628 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you photograph parts of the wedding that your clients dont want?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.