Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 17 Jun 2012 (Sunday) 06:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

interesting wedding yesterday...

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 18, 2012 11:09 |  #16

2ndshooter wrote in post #14590403 (external link)
One of the guests decided to be a photographer for the day, and ruined a great deal of shots.

This probably happens more often than you think. I shot one wedding where the ceremony ended and NOBODY left the church because EVERYONE wanted to take pictures. I literally had people behind me bumping into me while I was taking pictures. That's the worse case scenario so far for me.

Now, what I'll do is I'll have the wedding director move the bridal party into a private room until everyone has left the church. This way after everyone has left I can go ahead and get the shots that the bride and groom want from me.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sponsored links
SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,645 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 18, 2012 11:17 |  #17

Once experienced a missing limo - Bride & Groom were both getting ready at the same location (different floors)
Limo came to get the guys, and took them to the church... driver's instructions were to go back and get the girls, bring to ceremony, and he'd be off for about 90 minutes.... he dropped off the girls, and figured he was now off for 90 minutes... went to some coffee shop, and left cell in the limo...
I was waiting with the girls - and after the girls started showing signs of stress, random guests to that location started offering rides to everyone... we ended up with 3 older couples (i.e. total strangers) giving rides to the bride and her side of the wedding party to the church - 40 minutes late by the time they got there...
never heard about what happened to that limo guy after that...

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 18, 2012 11:21 |  #18

Not a good thing to do to the bride... That limo driver should have gotten a new one chewed out for that slip up...

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 18, 2012 11:55 |  #19

You think he made the best of what happened even though it seems he played extremely passively in terms of allowing other photographers that were not paid by the B+G to 'ruin [his] shots' ? There are some things we don't have control over (missing rings, fights); there are some things we do have control over if we actually seize it.

amirg wrote in post #14595594 (external link)
I have had my share of unplanned stuff happening at the weddings but this tops them all. I think you made the best of what happened. Part of being a professional.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 18, 2012 12:25 |  #20

I was referring to him getting the bridal party away from that limo scene and capturing the family shots. You work with what you have. I will ask uncle bobs to get out of my way nicely first, if that doesn't work I ask the groom/bride (rarely happens) but in this case they had a lot of other problems to deal with apparently.

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #14595879 (external link)
You think he made the best of what happened even though it seems he played extremely passively in terms of allowing other photographers that were not paid by the B+G to 'ruin [his] shots' ? There are some things we don't have control over (missing rings, fights); there are some things we do have control over if we actually seize it.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 18, 2012 12:34 |  #21

Panoz wrote in post #14594959 (external link)
This is excellent advice. You should take charge of the event, even approach a guest during the ceremony if necessary, to have them get out of the way. A year after the event they'll still know you didn't get the "money" shots, they'll forget about your excuses (i.e., annoying relatives). I was always ALL business when I photographed weddings and told the guests at the group shots that I did the direction, not them, and that I'd have them removed from the event if they got between me and my client. Never had a problem!

Eh, i don't think it's that great of advice imho.
it's a different business model than me anyway.
you may have been "all business", but i like to think i'm hired because i'm a nice guy too, not just all business.

some of the "all business" types i've seen photographing events are the ones that give photographers a bad name,
and come off as complete douchenozzles.

not my style personally. yeah, you have to be in charge sometimes,
but if i worried about everyone that walked in to an event with a dslr like you sound like you did, i wouldn't be focusing on doing my job.
i'd be focusing on being a bully. and that's not what i'm there to do.

the experience is just as important as the photos sometimes imho

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 18, 2012 12:54 |  #22

bigarchi wrote in post #14596105 (external link)
you may have been "all business", but i like to think i'm hired because i'm a nice guy too, not just all business.

some of the "all business" types i've seen photographing events are the ones that give photographers a bad name,

but if i worried about everyone that walked in to an event with a dslr like you sound like you did, i wouldn't be focusing on doing my job.

I tend to agree with this. The wedding day is not just about the photos we capture. It's about people having a good time and celebrating. Sure, we're hired to deliver but I would not go as far as threatening guests to be removed from the venue if they don't heed my direction. I always explain this to clients that nobody should get in my way and that I expect cooperation but if they're ok with family members shooting I will try to work around it as much as possible.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 18, 2012 13:10 |  #23

I can guarantee that I'm as affable as you are. I don't come of as, well, as you suggest. When people are doing the wrong thing and taking photos during the ceremony in such a way as to put in jeopardy the photos that the B+G have paid for, I make no apologies for politely and discretely asking these people to respect their wishes.

bigarchi wrote in post #14596105 (external link)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 18, 2012 13:18 |  #24

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #14596336 (external link)
I can guarantee that I'm as affable as you are. I don't come of as, well, as you suggest. When people are doing the wrong thing and taking photos during the ceremony in such a way as to put in jeopardy the photos that the B+G have paid for, I make no apologies for politely and discretely asking these people to respect their wishes.

yeah, i am in no way saying that you come off in a bad way.
just that i've seen photogs with the wrong attitude that quickly put everyone in a bad mood.

i worked with a photog one time who's photos were outstanding. but he was a complete jack#ass: rude and condescending, etc...
The couple were willing to put up with a lot to get the great photos, but at some point he finally crossed their threshold.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 18, 2012 13:37 |  #25

I totally agree that if a wedding photographer thinks they need to be anything but polite, fun, cordial, engaging in order to be able to get the shots they need--well, they're doing something wrong. I've seriously never met these kinds of photographers, but have heard about them through clients who sort of set as one of their criteria: we don't want one of these guys shooting our wedding.

2ndshooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
42 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 18, 2012 21:48 |  #26

FYI, as my name here suggests, I am a second shooter. I was assigned to the back of the church to get wide overall shots, and down-the-aisle shots during the ceremony, then the recessional. He was in thebfront of the church. The primary photographer was in the front right corner getting the closeups and guest reactions. I either would have had to walk down the whole center aisle to tell him to move, or she would have had tobwalk across the front of the church. Either way that would have caused more of a distraction than the guy was already. Also, priest asked is not to move around during the ceremony. Luckily every once in a while he sat down, so I got some good shots... enough to make the couple happy, but it was still very annoying. lol

About the limo leaving the girls... Last year we had a wedding where the limo left us, the maid of honor, and the bride and groom. The B and G tried to call family, but for some reason none turned around to get us! Had to wait for the limo to get to the reception site, then drive another 45+ min back.

sponsored links

2,681 views & 0 likes for this thread
interesting wedding yesterday...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.