Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Jun 2012 (Saturday) 23:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

100-400L Overblown whites

Hardrock40
467 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 16, 2012 23:49 |  #1

Trying to get the camera/lens settings right for whitewater kayaks going through a rapid.
There's not much white at the top then 2 seconds later the water is really churning and splashing even with some foam.

With the sun at that moment, looks like white paper.

So I set the lens to f13 or f14,
point it at a whitewater area at the top of the rapid, half press then hold half press and put it on the person in the kayak. (should have read something on metering)

Focus set to AI Servo, Auto ISO and try to stay close to 1/400 SS with burst mode on.

I'll get several shots in thru the rapid but at the bottom whites get blown out. Now thinking on it, maybe I should have set up for the bottom of the rapid and just use that setting all the way through.

And what else am I doing wrong? Is there a good method for this type of shooting? The camera is a T2i.

I would like to get the drama (for the lack of a better word) of the water splashing around the kayak yet keep the person in it as the subject without being under exposed.

sponsored links
shinksma
709 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 17, 2012 01:10 |  #2

I believe the metering will be set when you half-press at the start, and assuming you don't let go of the shutter because you are in AI Servo mode, the metering will remain constant through-out.

You could try letting go of the shutter mid-way through the sweep past and re-press, but you might lose focus and/or IS will get gnarly.

Hmm, need to read-up on metering...but it is late and I have the attention span of a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

;)

shinksma

5DII | T3i | EF 17-40 L | EF 24-105 L | EF 24 1.4 L II | EF 28 1.8 | EF 85 1.8 | EF 70-200 2.8 L IS II | EF 100-400 L | EF-S 15-85 IS USM | EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS USM | EF-S 10-22 USM | EF 100 2.8 Macro USM | EF-S 18-55 IS | EF 35-80 III | EF-S 55-250 IS | Rokinon 8mm FE | EF 75-300 non-USM III | SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 | Tamron 70-210 | 430EX II | Kenko 2x MC4 and 1.4x Pro300DGX TC

thephotographynut
128 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 17, 2012 01:19 |  #3

This scenario is a bit hard to meter and adjust for because of the variables and how fast they change.

This is not a lens issue as it really is just an issue nailing the exposure. Once you find the settings that work, it will be easy.

You didn't say if you were moving around or pretty much shooting from one place.

If you are shooing from one place, I would set the camera to full manual mode. Adjust the shutter for the speed and the ISO and f-stop for the light. Take some test shots and chimp (look at) the histogram on the LCD to check for blown highlights.

If you need to move around or don't want to shoot full manual then you can try using exposure compensation and back it down by about a stop or so. Also play with the metering modes. The two modes to try would be either Evaluative or Center Weighted. I'm not sure if it works the same on the XXXD line but this will usually put the most emphasis on the light level at the selected focus point. As a result, you may want to try Center Weighted as it will take the average of the center of the viewfinder. Again chimp the histogram to see if you are getting blown pixels.

I would also suggest shooting RAW where you can go back in post and recapture some of the blown out areas and adjust exposure a bit better. Also keep in mind that outdoors the rule of thumb is that the exposure of the person will define if the photo is properly exposed. Shooting RAW will help you adjust some of these finer points in post.

It really all comes down to finding the right ISO, shutter and f-stop settings. I would read up on metering modes for that particular camera.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 17, 2012 01:22 |  #4

If the scene is dominated by dark water with bits of foam, the camera meter will try to make the water 18% grey and in the process, it will blow out the white highlights.

Try dialing in -1 EC to get the water as dark as it should be and your whites shoud become more manageable.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Noitca
551 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 18, 2012 05:42 |  #5

Have you tried the exposure lock button? Expose the bright spot(s) ahead of time and apparently hold the AE Lock (*) button and then recompose for the top of the rapid. It will probably under expose the top, but if that isn't too bad, you could probably recover those easier when you process the images.

T1i with 18-55, 55-250, 50 1.8

Hardrock40
THREAD ­ STARTER
467 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 18, 2012 08:44 |  #6

I'll have to read more on the AE lock, is this good for one shot?

I thought exposing for the bright areas with a half shutter press and (spot meter) would take care of it but not completely. Now, it looks like its just such a drastic change that it is going to be one of those things a person has to deal with.

I got better the last time. It's a learning process and I'm new to everything, photo.

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 18, 2012 18:32 |  #7

You have a lot of variables that can change making it tougher to dial in.

Try going manual, at your aperture you want (13 you said?), and at the shutter speed you want (1/400 you said?). Adjust the ISO up or down to get your exposure. If you are at ISO 100 and you still are overexposing, you can increase your aperture number or your shutter speed to help.

The more variable you set, the less you have to hunt for when trying to dial yourself in.

www.aaronsjaffe.com (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 18, 2012 18:32 |  #8

Could the OP post some samples please?

Hard to diagnose without pictures!

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Hardrock40
THREAD ­ STARTER
467 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 19, 2012 00:26 |  #9

Ok I tried to upload and got this

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing or mismatched."

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 19, 2012 10:53 |  #10

I'm not sure why you are having the problem with uploading, but a few thoughts.

First off, with a scene like whitewater rapids, you will get the most latitude with those highlights if you shoot Raw. Just sayin'.

Second, make sure you are shooting "with the light", in other words, with the sun lighting up the scene from behind you if possible. Otherwise you will be battling with exposing the kayakers/subjects and losing the whitewater.

If it were me I'd take some time to set up a Manual exposure for the scene. Get some shots with whitewater, chimp, and if the highlights are bad, back off on the exposure. Do this before the kayaks show up and then you can just shoot, since the scene lighting will not change. Using Av or Tv or Auto ISO for this type of thing can work if you know what you are doing, but still will tend to change exposure at the drop of a hat, whereas with Manual you can nail the exposure before the "action" happens.

But that's just how I would do it!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Hardrock40
THREAD ­ STARTER
467 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 19, 2012 11:38 |  #11

Ok see if the first two made it

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Hardrock40
THREAD ­ STARTER
467 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 19, 2012 11:40 |  #12

And for the second two, the last one always gets blown out.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Hardrock40
THREAD ­ STARTER
467 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 19, 2012 11:42 |  #13

And these are RAW no PP or sliders used. Someone that can see the data might confirm that.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 19, 2012 11:49 |  #14

First three look ok to my eye...

Fourth one simply has a very wide dynamic range from foam in front to shadows under big rock. Really hard to expose for either correctly in the middle of the day. I'd concern myself with the exposure of the peeps in the raft and move on from there.

Probably no need to be at ISO 400 in broad daylight though.

Jay

AvailableLight
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 19, 2012 11:56 |  #15

Are you still using Auto ISO? The ISO on the EXIF data is 640. You probably don't need it that high unless you were trying to increase the shutter speed.

AJ
Rebel T3i (600D)
18-55 | 55-250 | 50 1.8 | 60 2.8 macro | 15-85 | 430 EXII

sponsored links

2,768 views & 0 likes for this thread
100-400L Overblown whites
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.