Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 17 Jun 2012 (Sunday) 19:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Reconsidering technique for shooting.

Nukehed
550 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 17, 2012 19:38 |  #1

I shot a local rugby tournament yesterday. 9 hours on site, LOTS of sun. When I shoot a single rugby game I stand and use a monopod with gripped 40D & 70-200. Yesterday, I brought a chair because I didn't want to stand for 9 hours. I did not sit the whole time. My chair was positioned center back of the goal area.

I noticed as the action got closer that it was hard to maneuver the camera and monopod to get good framing when the action was close to the try zone but at either side line.

I tried taking the camera off the monopod, but that lens gets heavy fast.

Consequently, my keeper rate from 9 hours on site was ABYSMAL. Most of the games I shoot are local and I have full access to all points along the field.

Any suggestions?

Do I suck it up and plan on standing for long events?
Do I bring knee pads and kneel? ( I am 46, this is NOT the best option)
If I use a chair and the monopod use is awkward, should I take camera off monopod?
I do have a second body, should I switch to other body and smaller lens (24-105) for closer action?

"There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."- Ed Howdershelt
GEAR LIST
My website (external link)

sponsored links
Mactosh
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 17, 2012 20:15 |  #2

i feel you pain, my last session was 7 hours standing with a 70-200 and i haven't found a solution that works yet, but id say having the second body certainly wouldn't hurt!

Canon 600D, 30D
70-200L f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 18-55mm kit
430EXII
https://www.facebook.c​om/evans21photography (external link)

kenjancef
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 17, 2012 22:23 as a reply to  @ Mactosh's post |  #3

When I shoot at an event outdoors, I sorta mix it up, between standing and kneeling. I'm 46 as well, and a runner, but my knees aren't what they used to be. I have a small chair that I use when I work a job for the company I work for shooting running races, and I use it for that, since people are just coming towards me. But when shooting a soccer, football or baseball game, there's too much going on where I can't be that stationary.

Not sure a second body would help, only because when the action gets closer, you'll be moving a lot more BECAUSE the action is so close, so you might be constrained when on the chair.

I'm not too familiar with rugby, but are there time outs, halftime, things like that? If so, use the chair to take a breather when you can. I know when I shoot football and soccer I'm walking/running up and down the sidelines because of moving play.

Hope that all makes some sort of sense, but it's what works for me...

Gear List
My Flickr Page (external link)

bboowwyy
253 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 18, 2012 04:01 as a reply to  @ kenjancef's post |  #4

Ditch the monopod, there's really no reason you should need one with that combo.

Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 18, 2012 16:33 |  #5

bboowwyy wrote in post #14594312 (external link)
Ditch the monopod, there's really no reason you should need one with that combo.

+1.

Option 2, get a much longer lens and sit in the bar ...:)

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

mobei
293 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 18, 2012 18:27 as a reply to  @ Hannya's post |  #6

Ditto

ajaffe
792 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 18, 2012 18:39 |  #7

If you are sitting, get a chair where you can rest your elbows on your thighs/knees. This will force your arms into your sides for proper form. This all creates 4 added points of contact to help distribute the weight.

Monopods are terrible. If I could hand hold my 400 for an hour I would. It just creates too many restrictions on your mobility.

www.jaffe.photo

Nukehed
THREAD ­ STARTER
550 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 18, 2012 20:45 |  #8

My next game I will ditch the monopod and go hand held, or I will take Hannya's advice and sit at the bar.

"There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."- Ed Howdershelt
GEAR LIST
My website (external link)

ZXDrew
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 19, 2012 08:29 |  #9

Have you considered exercise? Try getting out and walking a few hours a week with 2lbs weights. You'd be surprised how much it can help.

Or

Just buy a chair with a swivel. They sell them for hunters to put on top of 5 gallon painters buckets.

PhotoWolfe.com (external link)
Facebook.com/PhotoWolfe (external link)
Gear / My flickr (external link)

john5189
598 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 19, 2012 08:36 |  #10

You get used to it quickly.
My slight lithe wife carries a 7D with 17-55mm , 580exII, battery pack, walkie talkie around allday on a wedding for 10 hours and she does not GET ANY chance to sit down except 10 mins drive from brides parents to church and 1 hour break for the dinner.

It aches the first couple of days working but take ibuprofen to help the body recever and not damgae itself.

My rig is even heavier and I dont notice it now.

Make sure you never carry the rig in one hand for extended periods because that WILL make your wrist ache.

Wedding Photography in Herefordshire.  (external link)

abbypanda
Goldmember
1,804 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 20, 2012 00:33 |  #11

Nukehed, not sure of your physical condition but squatting is the best way to "sit". We are all born able to squat. We untrained ourselves over time. Depending on ones physical condition it might not be easy to "just do it", but consider some pt type exercises and rehab exercises for anywhere you are hurting. Most of the people we see at my gym can't squat due to hip flexibility issues among other things.... Mostly due to sitting in a chair and with poor posture too long.

You should be able to squat all the way down with feet forward, back straight and heels on the ground without pain.

After my knee surgery I no longer kneel at all (injured it in sports). I shot a 12 hr sports event a few months ago spent the whole time sitting squatted or Indian style. I sit squatted all the time, even in my computer chair. :/

Do a lot of stretches and yoga also, that will help a lot.

For times you must stand get good shoes! And again a lot
Of postural exercises will help you when standing a lot Also.

Get with a professional on some mobility exercises. You'll feel so much better when you can move however you please and don't feel pain. You'll also get better shots I'm sure!

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,945 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 20, 2012 16:16 |  #12

I would recommend you get a cheap gun pod. You have it for support as needed, and you can just lift off of it for the close action (let it fall into you).

IMAGE: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/310BOsj9y%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I use an on-ground camp chair that offers back support like this one:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: data

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

kenjancef
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 20, 2012 19:36 |  #13

waterrockets wrote in post #14607690 (external link)
I would recommend you get a cheap gun pod. You have it for support as needed, and you can just lift off of it for the close action (let it fall into you).

QUOTED IMAGE

I use an on-ground camp chair that offers back support like this one:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: data

That chair looks like the type you'd buy for football/stadium seats. Never thought of using it flat on the ground. That's an awesome idea!

Gear List

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,945 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 20, 2012 21:44 |  #14

Yeah, you can rock back in it and it will offer thigh support and is pretty comfy. Gotta get up every so often though.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

kenjancef
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 20, 2012 22:47 |  #15

waterrockets wrote in post #14609116 (external link)
Yeah, you can rock back in it and it will offer thigh support and is pretty comfy. Gotta get up every so often though.

True. When I shoot running races, I normally find myself trying to get comfortable squatting or kneeling in a street to shoot the runners. This chair would be perfect because I hardly move, but kneeling on hard pavement does hurt after a while. And every-so-often I get breaks when there are gaps between runners, usually towards the end of the race.

Going to look into that this weekend.

Gear List

sponsored links

3,569 views & 0 likes for this thread
Reconsidering technique for shooting.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.