Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Jun 2012 (Monday) 22:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

60D focus point selection

rh18
180 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2011

Jun 18, 2012 22:21 |  #1

I recently went from the T2i to the 60D and one feature I was excited about was being able to select the AF point with the multi-controller. So I set custom function III-2 to enable selecting the AF point "without first pressing the AF select button" (pg 255 of the manual). But what I quickly realized is the meter has to be active before you can change the focus point. So on the T2i, I had to press the AF select button before changing the AF point but on the 60D, I have to activate the meter (half shutter press or * button) before changing the AF point. Maybe I'm missing something, but It doesn't seem like much difference. I really thought I'd be able to use the multi-controller to change the AF point without pressing some other button first. So disappointing. Please tell me I'm doing something wrong.

Gear and Feedback | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,825 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jun 18, 2012 22:26 |  #2

rh17,

On page 17 of the manual there is a drawing of the back of the 60D. You'll notice there is a AF button on the back, top... all the way to the right. You can push that to cycle through your focus point. A more detailed explanation starts on page 76.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

rh18
THREAD ­ STARTER
180 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 18, 2012 22:33 |  #3

Right, I think you misunderstood my issue. What you describe is exactly how the T2i works (what I had previously). The 60D has a custom function (pg 255 of the manual) which allows you to set the AF point without pressing the AF button first (in theory a more efficient way of selecting the AF point). But for this method to work, the meter has to be active (as far as I can tell), so even with the custom function set, you still have to press a button before setting the AF point.

Anyway, I guess I didn't really phrase it as a proper question but is there a way to use the multi-controller to set the AF point without having to press another button first? Am I doing something wrong with the way I'm using the AF point selection custom function?

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,533 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 18, 2012 22:50 |  #4

It stands to reason that you have to wake up the camera, doesn't it?

If you are set up for BBF, you can wake up the camera with the focusing button just as well.

I am not sure whether I'd want the camera to wake up if ANY button was pressed, or dial rotated...

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,825 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jun 18, 2012 22:57 |  #5

rh18,

My bad. Today was my Friday. I work Sat, Sun and Mondays, 12 hour shifts. I must be more tired than I thought as I didn't read your post accurately. You expressed your issue well.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,233 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jun 18, 2012 22:57 as a reply to  @ MakisM1's post |  #6

Unless the T2i is different from the T3i, The shutter button(or BBF) must be pressed to wake the camera also.

Mark

rh18
THREAD ­ STARTER
180 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 18, 2012 23:17 |  #7

Wait, who ever said anything about the camera being asleep? :)

Let me rephrase... So when the camera is on and awake (but idle - the meter isn't active), is there any way to set the focus point on the 60D using the multi-controller without pressing the AE lock or half pressing the shutter first to activate the meter?

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,962 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 19, 2012 01:20 |  #8

I just checked and it is the same with my 20D and the joystick controler. You have to either activate the metering or hit * if you have bbf set up. As you have to have the camera to the eye it is not hard to activate metering, but it really dosn't stay on very long does it?.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

rh18
THREAD ­ STARTER
180 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 19, 2012 07:43 |  #9

BigAl007 wrote in post #14599387 (external link)
but it really dosn't stay on very long does it?.

Alan

20D? Wow. I wish I had that kind of willpower when it comes to technology. :)

No, the meter doesn't stay active very long. Until I get more comfortable with it, it's like a silly game, hit *, compose and set you focus point real quick. Then relax and shoot. Maybe there is a setting to keep the meter active longer.

I was thinking about it more last night and I guess it's probably a safety "feature" so that you don't accidentally change your focus point when you aren't actively shooting.

Preeb
Goldmember
2,535 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 19, 2012 07:53 |  #10

rh18 wrote in post #14599041 (external link)
Wait, who ever said anything about the camera being asleep? :)

Let me rephrase... So when the camera is on and awake (but idle - the meter isn't active), is there any way to set the focus point on the 60D using the multi-controller without pressing the AE lock or half pressing the shutter first to activate the meter?

When the display is off, I consider that to be asleep. I too wish that there was a way to keep it active longer. I think that they have gone too far in attempting to maximize battery life, to the point that the meter/display shuts off too quickly. There should be an option for that like there is for the review timer, but if there is, I haven't found it.

Rick
60D - EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

rrblint
22,233 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 19, 2012 09:49 as a reply to  @ Preeb's post |  #11

Please read the following thread:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php? t=1195887

It presents what would be a perfect solution to your problem.

Mark

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,229 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 19, 2012 10:03 |  #12

rrblint wrote in post #14600521 (external link)

except that is not available so it wont fix his problem now.

There is currently no way that I know of to pick a focus point on any Canon DSLR without first waking the camera up. The top lcd turns off very quickly, and metering stops quickly. Its just like you said. Canon doesnt want people to accidentally change focus points while walking around or not shooting.

My Flickr (external link)

rrblint
22,233 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 19, 2012 11:29 |  #13

jhayesvw wrote in post #14600579 (external link)
except that is not available so it wont fix his problem now.

There is currently no way that I know of to pick a focus point on any Canon DSLR without first waking the camera up. The top lcd turns off very quickly, and metering stops quickly. Its just like you said. Canon doesnt want people to accidentally change focus points while walking around or not shooting.

Yes, this is quite true...And I did say "would be" not "is".

You said yourself that there CURRENTLY is no solution to the problem(to the OP's liking).

I am merely pointing out that the technology to solve this problem exists(though not in current production)if Canon will bring it(Eye Controlled Focus Point Selection)back.

Mark

rh18
THREAD ­ STARTER
180 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 19, 2012 11:56 |  #14

rrblint wrote in post #14600521 (external link)

Yeah, that would be nice! It sounds so much like sci-fi, I can't believe it's a feature that has come and gone. Until then, I just need to develop the muscle memory for how the 60D functions.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 19, 2012 18:25 |  #15

rh18 wrote in post #14601110 (external link)
Yeah, that would be nice! It sounds so much like sci-fi, I can't believe it's a feature that has come and gone. Until then, I just need to develop the muscle memory for how the 60D functions.

I have full faith that it will come back again. I think it was a bit ahead of its time and had a few problems, but as far as efficiency goes, there isn't a better method of selection.

I'm hoping to see this revisited soon so I'm trying to bring it to the attention of Canon. So if you'd like to see it, join my group and share with others!
https://www.facebook.c​om/CanonEyeControlAF (external link)

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sponsored links

6,564 views & 0 likes for this thread
60D focus point selection
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.