Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 14 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 19:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How are your inquiries? [Summer 2012 Edition]

mirrorrim
87 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 18, 2012 16:33 |  #16

JohnThomas wrote in post #14597237 (external link)
^ Where are you located?

I'm in Burlington, VT

sponsored links
JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 18, 2012 16:51 |  #17

Thanks man - reason for asking was I just posted my first CL add I'm not getting the response you described above. I'll keep trying though -

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 18, 2012 17:18 |  #18

What's your pricing, JT ? I ask because when I first started out shooting weddings and using craigslist, I had a lot of hits. As I progressed and got better and raised my prices, however, my hits via craigslist dropped to zero. The CL client is a low-price client most of the time.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 18, 2012 17:24 |  #19

I'm advertising a basic package on CL for $650 - 8x10 album and DVD of photos.

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 18, 2012 17:36 |  #20

^That's a budget price alright. If you don't have much of a portfolio, consider putting that price up and then offering a special discount that lowers the overall fee. If you do have a decent portfolio, your ad isn't very good (in which case you have to look at your competitors and get creative, distinguish yourself) or the market is oversaturated.

Another thing to consider: I posted every day or every two days; and I posted at certain times.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 18, 2012 21:36 |  #21

Thanks for the pointers Chris, much appreciated. Nice work on your site, btw.

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 19, 2012 07:32 |  #22

JohnThomas wrote in post #14582415 (external link)
Dude that's awesome.. personally, I think landing 3 out of 12 interviews is great. This is also coming from someone who's just getting into wedding photography.

This has changed a lot for me over time. When I was still getting into the biz and selling on price, by the time we got to a face to face meeting, my close rate was north of 80%. Now that my prices are more mid-market, prospects are visiting with many other photographers in addition to me. So I'm still happy with a pretty good closing rate, but it's nowhere near what it used to be.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

nguyencs
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 19, 2012 08:19 |  #23

I just started last year and advertise between $1000-$1400 for the first year. Landed 11 out of 12. This year, I increased it to $1600 and $1800. I haven't gotten a single inquiry so far.

I don't know what to do next. I was hoping to rebrand myself at the end of the year and start in the $3000-4000 market. But that doesn't seem to likely now.

squiLL
667 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 19, 2012 09:24 |  #24

Booked 4 out of 4 weddings this year, which is perfect for me.

I'm not going to lie, I don't advertise my wedding work at all, and I'm not looking to get into the thick of it. My policy is one wedding a month, and have actually turned down a wedding because it was the same month as another client.

I charge around $2500, knowing that it will scare away a lot of low ballers. Hopefully by next year I will have my prices up to the 3-4k range.

Mike Cassara
Marketing Manager - Tiffen Filters

Tiffen.com (external link)

mirrorrim
87 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 19, 2012 09:34 |  #25

JohnThomas wrote in post #14597462 (external link)
I'm advertising a basic package on CL for $650 - 8x10 album and DVD of photos.

If you havent, put your price in your ad. The first time I made a CL ad I left it out, hoping people would contact me and I could chat them up and win them over. No response. So 3 days later I put an ad up with prices and got all the inquiries. I also created a photo collage with picasa of a bunch of my photos so that they see them right away in the ad, without having to click over to my website.

My opening line tried to stir up emotion of their wedding day and then I went into a little "you can get anything you want" spiel. I also used words like "take advantage," "establishing my business," "affordable," "inexpensive," "quality" and kept my text overall very limited to 4-5 sentences with lots of white space.

Ignore me if you have done all this already. Just sharing what worked for me. And so far all my brides/grooms are very down to earth and appreciative of what I'm doing (hello ultra low end). My goal is to raise my prices every 3 bookings, so I went up another $150 and put a new ad up yesterday. Crossing my fingers I still get the same response I did last time!

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 19, 2012 12:13 |  #26

squiLL wrote in post #14600419 (external link)
Booked 4 out of 4 weddings this year, which is perfect for me.

I'm not going to lie, I don't advertise my wedding work at all, and I'm not looking to get into the thick of it. My policy is one wedding a month, and have actually turned down a wedding because it was the same month as another client.

I charge around $2500, knowing that it will scare away a lot of low ballers. Hopefully by next year I will have my prices up to the 3-4k range.

I really like your style Michael, maybe it has something to do with being from Long Island..

mirrorrim wrote in post #14600468 (external link)
If you havent, put your price in your ad. The first time I made a CL ad I left it out, hoping people would contact me and I could chat them up and win them over. No response. So 3 days later I put an ad up with prices and got all the inquiries. I also created a photo collage with picasa of a bunch of my photos so that they see them right away in the ad, without having to click over to my website.

My opening line tried to stir up emotion of their wedding day and then I went into a little "you can get anything you want" spiel. I also used words like "take advantage," "establishing my business," "affordable," "inexpensive," "quality" and kept my text overall very limited to 4-5 sentences with lots of white space.

Ignore me if you have done all this already. Just sharing what worked for me. And so far all my brides/grooms are very down to earth and appreciative of what I'm doing (hello ultra low end). My goal is to raise my prices every 3 bookings, so I went up another $150 and put a new ad up yesterday. Crossing my fingers I still get the same response I did last time!

No worries, its good to hear what others are doing. I don't show any pictures on my CL ad, I'm probably going to add a collage like you described.

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

brokensocial
THREAD ­ STARTER
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 19, 2012 12:31 |  #27

When we meet with couples interested in us and planning on marrying, our booking rate is almost 90 percent. The trick is making it to that point.

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

metrostyle
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 24, 2012 08:51 |  #28

I've been shooting full-time for 15 years, mostly weddings for the last 12. Best year was 38 events, almost all bought albums, almost all bought an e-session. But that was when I paid $5k a year for a front-page ad at theknot.com and a $7k full-page ad in MN Bride Magazine and half a dozen other places. Now I have three cheap ads on a couple online bridal sites and don't push for much work, so inquiries are way down. (Now I call myself a "boutique studio.") Last year shot 14 smaller events, this year the same. About half are 4-5-6 hour gigs, the other half are all day. I close about 50% of my sales and always have - it varies between 40% and 60% of visitors, from one month to the next, no way to nail it down seasonally, it just happens. Best period ever was one 3-month period many years ago when I had 19 calls, 18 of them visited, and 17 of them signed. But that's REAL rare. As in most businesses, Sales & Marketing are crucial to your success. (It's just assumed that your "core competency" - in this case, Photography - is excellent quality. But there is SO MUCH MORE to being a successful wedding photographer. It's exhausting.)

sponsored links

4,101 views & 0 likes for this thread
How are your inquiries? [Summer 2012 Edition]
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.