Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 15 Jun 2012 (Friday) 11:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

White Balance for weddings. How you do it?

Rahul
551 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 18, 2012 07:25 |  #16

+1 on cim photography's answer. and shoot raw. always raw.

BLOG (external link)
FACEBOOK (external link)
WEB (external link)
2x5D MKI // 5D MKIII - 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 4.0L IS / 85 1.2L MKII / 16-35 2.8L

sponsored links
Eric
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 18, 2012 08:20 |  #17

I hardly ever use anything other than AWB. Especially for a wedding when things change so quickly, both indoors and out. If a cloud rolls over head and your set to daylight you photos will be very cold.

AWB and RAW, and adjust the sliders in LR to suit. If you have several consecutive photos that are in the same scene you can always select all, right click and sync settings.

Eric Darlington Photography (external link)
flickr (external link) / [URL="[URL]http://eric​darlington.500px.com/"​]500px / [URL="[URL]http://www.​facebook.com/EricDarli​ngtonPhotography"]Face​book
[URL="[URL]http://phot​ography-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=8612297&postcou​nt=1945"]Tools

Panoz
195 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 18, 2012 08:38 |  #18

Spoons make you fat. Cars make you drive drunk. Raw makes you a pro.

I shot weddings for years, all JPEG, shot on AWB. Each frame was color balanced in post since I guaranteed consistent color for the bride's dress in every photo. Using a grey card in every photo is a silly recommendation, clearly made by someone who's never shot an event.

You're going to do color balancing in your images whether or not you shoot JPEG or Raw. Assuming you *do* color balancing on your images, of course. I did 100% color balancing, usually using a white object like a dress, table cloth or shirt. I found Canon's AWB a bit warm when used with flash, so I had pre-set correction amounts to suit my taste.

Oh and by the way, you can't use your eyeballs to color balance! I used mathematical balancing using my photo editor, 100% consistent every time. Your eyes will fool you, your monitor is off, your age affects your color perception. Don't just use some slider bar to guess what white is!

Rahul wrote in post #14594620 (external link)
+1 on cim photography's answer. and shoot raw. always raw.

Canon G12, Canon 5D MkII, Canon 24-105 L, Sigma 16mm fisheye

dsmPhotoCompany
Goldmember
2,339 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 18, 2012 12:30 |  #19

Panoz wrote in post #14594827 (external link)

I shot weddings for years, all JPEG, shot on AWB. Each frame was color balanced in post since I guaranteed consistent color for the bride's dress in every photo. Using a grey card in every photo is a silly recommendation, clearly made by someone who's never shot an event.

You're going to do color balancing in your images whether or not you shoot JPEG or Raw. Assuming you *do* color balancing on your images, of course. I did 100% color balancing, usually using a white object like a dress, table cloth or shirt. I found Canon's AWB a bit warm when used with flash, so I had pre-set correction amounts to suit my taste.

Oh and by the way, you can't use your eyeballs to color balance! I used mathematical balancing using my photo editor, 100% consistent every time. Your eyes will fool you, your monitor is off, your age affects your color perception. Don't just use some slider bar to guess what white is!

Photographed plenty of weddings and events - but thanks for playing.

I didn't say every image - lol. I said every scene. So if one side of the room has a different light temp as the other - get one on both. Light temp outside at noon is different than 3PM - so get both.

It's very easy to do...

www.dsmphotocompany.co​m (external link) · dsmPC Facebook (external link) · www.iclickphotography.​com (external link) · iClick Facebook (external link)
SuperShoots (external link) · ModelMayhem (external link) · Flickr (external link) · ∞500px (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 18, 2012 13:17 |  #20

I'm not quite sure if you're being facetious here. Are you saying that if you mathematically put it to white and you just DON'T think subjectively it looks good, you'll leave it at the mathematically prescribed settings ?

It's true, I go by the numbers as well, for some kind of buoy in a sea of color shifts; but if that math gets me to an image that doesn't look right to me in the end to suit my artistic goals--forget about it. We're not making photos for computers to appreciate; we're making photos for people.

Panoz wrote in post #14594827 (external link)

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 18, 2012 13:22 |  #21

I also want to challenge the sarcastic "Raw makes you a pro." line.

No one is arguing logically that being a pro --> shooting RAW (as a necessary condition)

Question: When shooting a wedding I can give examples for which shooting in RAW will lead to a better final image than had you shot in .jpg (everyone concedes this). Can you name a scenario during a wedding shoot for which your shooting .jpg will result in a better final image than had you shot RAW ?

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 18, 2012 16:01 |  #22

I am mostly on AWB. Easy enough to fix later in post.

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 19, 2012 08:49 |  #23

I also shoot in AWB but find that I do a lot of fixing in post work. I tend to be very picky about WB so probably 90%+ of my shots are fixed in post afterwards.

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 19, 2012 09:17 as a reply to  @ jra's post |  #24

AWB+RAW and then batch-process groups of shots in post. Occasionally some shots may need further WB touch-up but it's much easier than trying to adjust it on camera all the time.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 19, 2012 12:30 |  #25

I use AWB on both my 5DmkII - 50D and they both do a good job getting close to what I want.

I have to believe that anyone who has serious problems with white balance is trying to shoot .jpg with minimal post processing. At this point in time, it's probably one of the easiest parameters to correct.

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

Panoz
195 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 19, 2012 12:42 |  #26

Ultimately, setting custom WB per scene is helpful but you balance in post. It will save time, perhaps, especially if you have a grey card target, but literally every photo is different. Stand 2 feet closer to a lamp and you have a different color temperature.

The only guaranteed method is mathematical color balancing to a known material like a dress or shirt.

dsmPhotoCompany wrote in post #14596084 (external link)
Photographed plenty of weddings and events - but thanks for playing.

I didn't say every image - lol. I said every scene. So if one side of the room has a different light temp as the other - get one on both. Light temp outside at noon is different than 3PM - so get both.

It's very easy to do...

Canon G12, Canon 5D MkII, Canon 24-105 L, Sigma 16mm fisheye

plawren53202
180 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 19, 2012 12:49 |  #27

This past weekend I finally broke down and bought one of those little black/white/gray card sets. As an experiment last evening, I shot a bunch of pics, some using AWB and some with custom WB on my 50D set to 5900K, some all natural light, some fill flash (off camera) and some full off-camera flash. Each time I changed the WB setting in camera or the lighting setup, I shot a test pic with the WB cards.

Then, in ACR I used the group edit function to set WB off the grey card for each series of shots (each set shot in the same lighting with the same WB setting in camera). In doing this, I could not tell any difference in the final WB results between shots with AWB and shots with custom WB in camera. From my admittedly unscientific experiment, it does seem that if you can set WB off a truly neutral tone in LR or ACR, that controls over any in-camera settings.

My quite modest little gear list: 50D gripped | 135L | 50 1.4 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 28-105 3.5-4.5 | Speedlite 420EX | 2 Yongnuo 460ii | stands, 2 umbrellas, one softbox
http://www.facebook.co​m/TreyLawrencePhotogra​phy (external link)
http://www.zenfolio.co​m/treylawrencephotogra​phy (external link)

brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 19, 2012 12:51 |  #28

We use AWB on our D700s. We're not very picky about it, and rarely do anything to the images in post. For our most recent engagement session, however, we did use two different color presets in post instead of one, which is our standard, simply because the first preset worked well for the daytime and made things too warm in the evening shots.

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 19, 2012 12:56 |  #29

I shoot in K.

A quick jump into live view and choose set the K value according. Barely have to change a thing in post with WB these days.

Peter

iamchanel
82 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 19, 2012 13:28 |  #30

I shot my last wedding in AWB for an indoor reception... It just requires extra time spent on PP.

My Blog :-) (external link)
Let's Be Friends :) (external link)

sponsored links

19,154 views & 0 likes for this thread
White Balance for weddings. How you do it?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.