Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 18 Jun 2012 (Monday) 18:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Two years later, Microsoft makes a tablet

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 19, 2012 10:51 |  #31

I don't know what the "cool" factor is with this new device. All I know is that I bought the iPad 2, loved it, sold it to my sister, bought the new one for myself, fully loaded, and just gave one to my hubby for Father's Day. He's going to love it! Expensive, yes, and definitely cool. I don't know how this will compete, but I welcome a challenge.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 19, 2012 11:54 |  #32

All depends on price...

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 19, 2012 13:50 |  #33

ben_r_ wrote in post #14601092 (external link)
All depends on price...

If MS can incorporate a fully functional Office suite and a convenient, useable input method (that keyboard/cover looks fantastic), the tablet world, and especially the business tablet market, may get flipped on its ear.

If MS can nail price and deliver a no compromise Office experience then all bets are off, imo.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 19, 2012 14:15 |  #34

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #14601656 (external link)
If MS can incorporate a fully functional Office suite and a convenient, useable input method (that keyboard/cover looks fantastic), the tablet world, and especially the business tablet market, may get flipped on its ear.

If MS can nail price and deliver a no compromise Office experience then all bets are off, imo.

I agree with this .... also coming from someone that does not use Apple (never have and if I have any say so never will) I am very happy to see another option.

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 19, 2012 14:52 |  #35

I wonder how much the money damage would be if you lose the keyboard.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 19, 2012 14:54 |  #36

HyperYagami wrote in post #14601966 (external link)
I wonder how much the money damage would be if you lose the keyboard.

As in if you had to replace it, or if they did not include one how much the cost would go down? To me a keyboad is a top selling feature if you want to do more then surf the net

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 19, 2012 16:14 |  #37

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #14601977 (external link)
As in if you had to replace it, or if they did not include one how much the cost would go down? To me a keyboad is a top selling feature if you want to do more then surf the net

well more like if I forgot and lost it in Starbucks or something.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 19, 2012 16:26 |  #38

HyperYagami wrote in post #14602344 (external link)
well more like if I forgot and lost it in Starbucks or something.

I am still reading up on the tablet, but in some pictures it looks like the cover/keyboard is built into the tablet. Otherwise I would think there will be 3rd party keyboards you could pick up as well .... but what do I know :)

Daphatty
490 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 19, 2012 18:33 |  #39

I just want my content consumption tablet to also allow me to transfer/backup my photos onto an external hard drive while I am on vacation. Is that so much to ask?

Canon 5D III | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 40mm f/2.8
Nest NT-6295c Tripod | Bendo IB2 Ballhead

tomcat7886
Goldmember
3,277 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 19, 2012 18:38 |  #40

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #14601656 (external link)

+1 Microsoft should focus on their already-proven softwares for their tablet.

Canon T2i | 18-55mm IS Kit | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC | Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoommmmm! | Black Canon Edition Crumpler Industry Disgrace
Crumpler on Sale: BLACK https://photography-on-the.net ...ghlight=industry+di​sgrace

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,726 posts
Gallery: 221 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 19, 2012 19:03 |  #41

To dismiss this off so soon is fools talk, look at the pro version it certianly has a couple of plus points over an iPad

1) A real useable keyboard
2) USB3
3) 128GB

It's all going to come down to price and apps, and with it being a Microsoft product you can be darn sure there be some sort of office on there.

As said above as a working business tool this really could take off and give the style driven iPad a really run for it's money.

The real issue for Microsoft and one that Apple does not have is that MS will be letting other tablet makers have the operating software for their own hardware. If you look at android tablets you can get iPad 2 hardware with android 4 for under £140 from china, will these now put MS Win * on these cheap tablets.

Whiteflyer Photography (external link) | Gear List

JBillings
909 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 19, 2012 20:03 |  #42

isoMorphic wrote in post #14598593 (external link)
I think the real goal for MS is to integrate mobile devices with everything around us. They have been working on Touch Surface for a long time and everyone should appreciate what developers put forth to help bring us into a new era of computing. Even those who hate Microsoft should be able to see some good in what they have done for the computing industry such as standardizing Plug & Play.

http://cnettv.cnet.com …ting/9742-1_53-27806.html (external link)

Don't you mean plug and pray? It took MSFT years to get close to figuring it out. If it weren't for Apple they'd have no one to steal from.

jb
Nature website (external link) -- Sports website (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 19, 2012 20:09 |  #43

Todd Lambert wrote in post #14598528 (external link)
They're only on top because theyve been taking massive losses on the entire Xbox unit since day one - that's not a great way to get on top.

Every console takes massive losses. They make it up with the $60-70 a pop games. This is how the console gaming industry works.

Gear List

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 19, 2012 20:11 |  #44

friz wrote in post #14598651 (external link)
I don't think that anyone will take them seriously after the Microsoft phone debockle.

I had a Windows-based Palm phone. It was at the time and still has been one of the best phones I've ever had. You can't really compare it to Android but at the time it was a very good phone and I've never had one that matched the call quality unfortunately.

Gear List

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 19, 2012 20:18 |  #45

JBillings wrote in post #14603236 (external link)
Don't you mean plug and pray? It took MSFT years to get close to figuring it out. If it weren't for Apple they'd have no one to steal from.

ROFL

PnP worked pretty well initially - a lot of PnP issues were 3rd party, half-assed products which were not designed to the proper standard. It's only gotten even better over the years.

The only reason any of Apple's "PnP" was any better was because it is a closed system and they forced you into only being able to use certain things and you had less choice. So of course it worked better.

Gear List

sponsored links

18,128 views & 0 likes for this thread
Two years later, Microsoft makes a tablet
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.