Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 19 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 03:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Surreal Coffee Spoon

smitroc
289 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 19, 2012 03:32 |  #1

Still noobing it up here.... I've been practicing focus and aperture... Really playing with CS5 and the wide latitude of processing available, got to say I love it!
I do have a question on my photo though... When shooting these "types" of pics... I quote them because I don't want to use the incorrect term and fall victim to any semantics so please set me straight does this qualify as macro or some other descriptor? Anyhow I clearly focused on the far rim of the spoon and the front rim in out of focus.... How would you have done it differently and why please? Thx everyone for looking :)
Smit

sponsored links
smitroc
THREAD ­ STARTER
289 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 19, 2012 03:32 |  #2

Here is the spoon

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

picturepages
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 19, 2012 03:44 |  #3

I would call that an "experimental art" image
*smiles*

*~~I find.....the more I learn about photography, the more there is to learn about photography.:confused: ~~* My Flicker page (external link)

Canon 20D 5Dll EF-S18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 ll, EF50mm1:1.8 ll, EF24-70 1:2.8L USM, EF75-300mm 1:4-5.6 lll

Unrising ­ Muffin
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 19, 2012 07:16 |  #4

...Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. :)

I think you did right by focusing on the back end. If the front end (the edge) would have been in focus, it might have been a boring photo. I would try to focus maybe 1/3 closer (at the red spot) and see if the spoon handle becoming in focus makes it more interesting... or not.

With digital cameras, there is no money cost difference between 1 and 50 shots, so you might as well take a few more shots out of the subject and review which one works better and find out why.

This is also a good website if you're on the DOF learning ramp:
http://www.dofmaster.c​om/dofjs.html (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 19, 2012 09:43 as a reply to  @ Unrising Muffin's post |  #5

The light is quite harsh around the spoon,as is whatever that round spot is inside it. Keep playing around, you will find something that pleases the eye.:D

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

Hardrock40
467 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 19, 2012 12:59 |  #6

You guys were thrown off by the wording, its a large frying pan with an egg in it. At least thats what I saw before I read the post.
I like the far side focus as well, I'll have to remember that.

smitroc
THREAD ­ STARTER
289 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 19, 2012 14:40 |  #7

lol... my wife thought it was a heroin spoon. The different interpretations alone make posting worth it! Here is the original and another view... The spoon was used to stir cream into a fresh coffee and put down on the counter right away, I watched the way the liquid ran down the saucer sides and began to arrange itself into the bottom.

First one was just "Auto" RAW edited and resized
Second is straight out of the camera and resized

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Unrising ­ Muffin
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 19, 2012 22:30 |  #8

Something looks alive in the 2nd :confused:

stanclark
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 19, 2012 23:12 |  #9

Jelly fish in your cream....you might want to check the date on that carton.

So if God made Man & Woman....whats his excuse for Nikon...

RangersForever
302 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 19, 2012 23:48 |  #10

I thought it was heroin spoon aswell! What does that say about me!? :D

Scotland Wedding Photographer (external link)

Hardrock40
467 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 20, 2012 00:32 |  #11

Reminds me of the moonshine days. Bout a half of spoon full, set it on fire and if anything doesn't burn out, you have water in your shine. now if I saw something like that last shot in it, I'd let that go for about 5 bucks a quart.

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 20, 2012 11:08 |  #12

RangersForever wrote in post #14604169 (external link)

I thought the same thing and I've never even seen heroin before, on a spoon or otherwise. ha ha.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 20, 2012 16:03 |  #13

RangersForever wrote in post #14604169 (external link)

suecassidy wrote in post #14606142 (external link)
I thought the same thing and I've never even seen heroin before, on a spoon or otherwise. ha ha.

I didn't see it as that personally, but I think that intrepretation has a LOT to do with the lighting and the post-processing... the mood is similar to that which is displayed in movies and mediums where drug use occurs.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

sponsored links

2,306 views & 0 likes for this thread
Surreal Coffee Spoon
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.