Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Jun 2012 (Wednesday) 00:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

display models?

drock220
38 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 20, 2012 00:17 |  #1

I just purchased a t2i at target on clearance but it was the display model. I bought it for 470 after tax and was wondering if i got a good deal or not on it. Looks like camera has been sitting out 1.5 years. I could still purchase the 3 warranty for a extra 45 dollars.

Has anyone purchase a display model before? Any issues?

sponsored links
Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,509 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 20, 2012 00:28 |  #2

Display models at stores like Best Buy, Futureshop, Target are often left sitting with no lens on and no body cap. As a result they can be full of dust and have fingerprints/scratches on the mirror or focus screen. Check it over carefully, and if you see problems contact Canon and see if you can send it in to get cleaned/repaired under warranty. If Canon won't touch it then return it.

To see how dirty the sensor is take a shot of a blue sky at f/16 and look for black blobs. With the lens off look for fingerprints on the mirror. If it's a mess don't have anyone at Target try to clean it.

I wouldn't bother with the 3 year warranty since if you're really concerned you'd be better off returning it and just buying a new in box one from B&H for $549.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

drock220
THREAD ­ STARTER
38 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 20, 2012 00:41 |  #3

thanks for the quick reply.

This one had the lens on for the display. cap has been off the lens tho. I will be testing it out tomorrow. So far the focus looks to be good

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,509 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 20, 2012 00:43 |  #4

drock220 wrote in post #14604368 (external link)
thanks for the quick reply.

This one had the lens on for the display. cap has been off the lens tho. I will be testing it out tomorrow. So far the focus looks to be good

Might be ok as long as it didn't spend a year without the lens and tethered to a table so that anyone can poke their fingers into it. Check it very carefully.

Bob

Overkill-F1
479 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 20, 2012 00:54 |  #5

My 50D was a display model from London Drugs store. They keep the display cameras in glass cases and you have to get a salesman's help before you can handle the cameras. The camera's sensor was quite dusty, and it came with around 400 exposures , but I am quite pleased with it. I saved a bunch of money purchasing a display model.
...Terry

50D, 450D, 18-55mm IS, 30mm f/1.4, 60mm f2.8 macro, 100mm f2,
For Sale- EF 24mm f/2.8
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". Dave Barry

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,509 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 20, 2012 01:27 |  #6

Overkill-F1 wrote in post #14604410 (external link)
My 50D was a display model from London Drugs store. They keep the display cameras in glass cases and you have to get a salesman's help before you can handle the cameras. The camera's sensor was quite dusty, and it came with around 400 exposures , but I am quite pleased with it. I saved a bunch of money purchasing a display model.
...Terry

Our local London Drugs handles DSLRs much like a high end camera shop, just as you described. However my local Best Buy and Futureshop tether the cameras to a bench without a lens or body-cap on and let them be handled with no supervision.

A friend bought one from Futureshop and found it to be very damaged when he got it home (scratched mirror and full of dust). He took it back and complained and they exchanged it for a NIB one. Personally I think he got lucky and was just in the right place at the right time. :)

Bob

drock220
THREAD ­ STARTER
38 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 22, 2012 13:05 |  #7

would this t2i display model at $470 be better than a t3 new at $420? thanks again!

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 22, 2012 13:11 |  #8

Seeing as how you can get a refurbished T2i kit from Canon for $559.99 (even less using CLP) I don't think you got that good a deal. Especially for a dem at a place like target where o can safely assume its been poked, prodded, and generally roughed up.

sponsored links

1,378 views & 0 likes for this thread
display models?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.