Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 28 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 12:41
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Do you use Back Button Auto Focus on your DSLR?"
BB AF on all my body, I use it for everything I shoot
66.7%
Tried it, not impress, so I am back to half shutter to AF
21.8%
Never try it before
11.6%

147 voters, 147 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you use Back Button Auto Focus on your DSLR?

torete43
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 20, 2012 01:56 as a reply to  @ post 14504917 |  #46

I started using it mainly due to another reason apart from the one commented here. If you use focus&recompose with evaluative/matrix metering, you should separate buttons, otherwise metering will be wrong. When focusing and recompose, half press shutter will also lock AE under this metering mode, but the recomposed scene will likely have a different metering. With BBF you get rid of this problem, and also gain the benefits described above.

However, I have to say that I don't feel as comfortable as with the half shutter, I sarted using it few weeks ago though. My problem is that pressing the back button make you move your thumb, which is very important to firmly hold the camera. So I feel that I cannot grab the camera as stable as before and thus precision in focus may be affected. Also, it is not as quicker as half press. Time will say what method I use the most.

Meanwhile, I would like to do a suggestion to Canon. Why one would want to have duplicated functions in shutter and AF-ON by default? It would be smarter to have a timer when pressing AF-ON that deactivates AF Lockr from shutter, lets say for 10 seconds. That way I can use half shutter if I want to go simple or fast, or AF-ON with focus and recompose, both at the same time without having to go to the menu to swich button functionality. That would be a very easy firmware tweak.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

9,478 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you use Back Button Auto Focus on your DSLR?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.