Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 29 Aug 2011 (Monday) 02:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pixel King ETTL Trigger Controller

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 19, 2012 10:47 |  #406

Just ordered a set of 2 triggers and 6 receivers.

This with my 5d3, ipad with eyefi and 6 yongnuo yn565ex is an awesome travel kit...!

"Light travels faster than sound. Which is why people some people appear bright, until you hear them speak..."

sponsored links
booja
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 19, 2012 23:25 |  #407

i love these triggers. i actually find myself using them in manual instead of ettl a lot. i just like how i can change the settings in my camera menu instead of walking up to each flash to change the power. saves me so much time... i do have misfires occasionally. might be the batteries getting low, not too sure

recent shot using 2 430ex2's, 5d3, and a 24L

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7088/7353609634_6e4f0168be_b.jpg

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 20, 2012 04:50 |  #408

^^Nice.

"I have applied for jobs at National Geographic, Sports Illustrated and Playboy. The phone should start ringing any minute now" (Curtis N)

Capeachy
427 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 20, 2012 10:01 |  #409

Love that shot booja. Wish I had 2x 430EX2's... I still got a non-EX2 one and it sucks walking/climbing up and down.

Photography is the art of exclusion

booja
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 20, 2012 10:04 |  #410

Capeachy wrote in post #14605752 (external link)
Love that shot booja. Wish I had 2x 430EX2's... I still got a non-EX2 one and it sucks walking/climbing up and down.

Yeah when I got these triggers I made it a point to get all ex2 flashes just for the ability to control them with the camera.

I have 3 ex2 flashes now and 3 receivers. I want to get a 4th

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 20, 2012 11:31 |  #411

^^The yn565ex works with these triggers.

You'll be late for everything because the light was right and the action was good (magoosmc)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
8,993 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 20, 2012 16:53 |  #412

I finally got a transmitter replacement. It will accept Firmware updates.
Now I am having trouble getting the Kings to work reliably with Nissin Di866 units with the transmitter on a 5DII.
I also have a Nissin Di866 MkII and a 580EXII they also seem erratic.

I reinstalled the latest firmware in all three devices to no avail.

Anyone having success with these flash units?

HSS and ratios are my two highest priority features.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

CliveyBoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
R.I.P.      He will be missed
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 20, 2012 18:54 |  #413

David - that is disappointing. The Di866 (original) is not listed as compatible. But your two Mark II models should be fine with your 5DII. There have been a number of users reporting success. There have also been a number of reported problems.

I hate to say it to someone as knowledgeable as you, but...
Erratic = poor shoe/foot contacts and/or bad batteries.

There is such a variety in engineering specs and tolerances, and some combinations seem marginal. Cleaning the under-side of the rails on both mating devices is essential. It's the circuit ground, and is susceptible to intermittent fault when the 580EXII type clamp is not operating smoothly (which happens quite often).

Clive, and Great G/D Abbie
50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)
I tried retiring, but gave it up - it's a dead end

dmward
Cream of the Crop
8,993 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 21, 2012 07:24 |  #414

Clive,
When I double checked the compatibility on the Pixel site it says the Nissin is compatible without identifying the specific model. The impression I get from the Nissin site is that the only significant difference between the two is the metal foot.

Anyway, the two I have are Mark I, and one Mark II.

The Mark II will change to manual when I change to manual via the camera menu but it sets to 1/128 power regardless of the power setting on the camera.

The 580EXII seems to change power as requested.

The batteries in the Pixel's are alkys but I admit that I just slide the speedlites into the hotshoe without taking care to see that they are properly cleaned.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 21, 2012 08:08 |  #415

My first triggers have turned up.

First impressions?

Surprised how big they are! :-)

"Lovely photo, you must have a really good camera"

dmward
Cream of the Crop
8,993 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 21, 2012 09:25 |  #416

Just did some more testing.
It appears the the Mark I Di866s will fire in HSS but there is no real flash control.

The Mark II is exhibiting unusual behavior. It will not fire, even though the pre-flash fires. Then it will fire at a higher shutter speed once, then not fire again.

I've moved it from receiver to receiver, tried it on manual, goes immediately to 1/128 power and won't budge from there.

I've but the mark Is and the mark II directly on the camera and they work as they should.

Changed batteries in the receivers and transmitter, as well as the speedlites.

I even clean the contacts.

All to no avail.

JLP520
175 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 21, 2012 17:09 |  #417

booja wrote in post #14604073 (external link)
i love these triggers. i actually find myself using them in manual instead of ettl a lot. i just like how i can change the settings in my camera menu instead of walking up to each flash to change the power. saves me so much time... i do have misfires occasionally. might be the batteries getting low, not too sure

recent shot using 2 430ex2's, 5d3, and a 24L

QUOTED IMAGE

Simply SPECTACULAR!...Well done! Modifiers used? Please share.

Jeff :cool:

btmlinedan
Goldmember
1,559 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 22, 2012 15:19 |  #418

one from a recent wedding with the kings, i had to brighten the shot up a bit, but saved it nicely. If i would spend more time on it i'd take that pole and lines but...but meh.

5d Mark II
17-40 F4L
pixel kings
ETTL +3 ex.comp
HSS
580ex through white umbrella above camera

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8156/7173731283_1dac0aae6e_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/btmlinedan/7173​731283/  (external link)
Jed and Bailey favorites (external link) by btmlinedan (external link), on Flickr

also, here's one with 1 580ex off camera to the right, bare.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7224/7358953924_b49a29cb42_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/btmlinedan/7358​953924/  (external link)
Jed and Bailey favorites (external link) by btmlinedan (external link), on Flickr

*dan l *Flickr (external link) l *cars: dkfx Photography (external link) l weddings: Blue Martini Photography (external link) l YN622C tranceiver review (external link)

5280Pics
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 22, 2012 16:20 |  #419

I just ordered a set of these, and they shipped out today! Woot!
I am just starting to dive into the world of off camera flash, and have, what will most likely be a very 'noobie', question. Is there a light meter out there that will trigger my flash(es) while using these triggers. I have only skimmed the last few pages of this thread, so please forgive me if it has been covered here!
Thank you!

hbomb69
255 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 22, 2012 18:07 |  #420

Great shots, :):):)

btmlinedan wrote in post #14617369 (external link)
one from a recent wedding with the kings, i had to brighten the shot up a bit, but saved it nicely. If i would spend more time on it i'd take that pole and lines but...but meh.

5d Mark II
17-40 F4L
pixel kings
ETTL +3 ex.comp
HSS
580ex through white umbrella above camera

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/btmlinedan/7173​731283/  (external link)

also, here's one with 1 580ex off camera to the right, bare.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/btmlinedan/7358​953924/  (external link)

CANON 5D MKIII x 2 / CANON 50D / CANON 550D
http://www.michaelhard​castle.co.uk (external link)
Facebook.com/michaelha​rdcastlephotography

sponsored links

139,961 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pixel King ETTL Trigger Controller
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.