Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 19 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 15:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Asked to shoot 1st paid E-Session

erdons
299 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 19, 2012 15:02 |  #1

Just got asked to shoot my 1st paid E-Session for a coworkers family member. The couple wants some shots at the beach around 5pm, I tried to push for 630 to 7pm but they said they are limited on time and actually want some brighter shots with more color. Currently have a 5D Mark II, 24-105 f4 lens and a 70-200 f2.8 lens, 580 ex II flash and a 5 in 1 42 inch reflector, will this suffice? I'm confident in my abilities to get some great shots, but now the bride tells me that they want some absolutely great great shots, should I be worried, should I run for the hills, any tips, is this how it goes for most 1st time paid gigs?

5D Mark III|7D Mark II|60D|T3|24-70/f2.8|70-200/f2.8L MK II ||Canon Speedlite 600 EX RT|Canon Speedlite 580EXII|2x Alien Bee B800

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,201 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 19, 2012 15:06 |  #2

No pressure there. Hiring a novice, and expecting the world. Look at it this way, you can only shoot to your skill level. Your gear is fine. You might tell them that you actually get brighter color when you have less light when it comes to saturating daylight.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 19, 2012 16:28 |  #3

Your lenses should be fine. I would bring both.

As for lighting, it really depends on how much light you need to overpower.
For example, 5pm during the middle of summer may be a lot to ask of a 580EX2 to overpower.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,201 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 19, 2012 16:29 |  #4

nicksan wrote in post #14602398 (external link)
Your lenses should be fine. I would bring both.

As for lighting, it really depends on how much light you need to overpower.
For example, 5pm during the middle of summer may be a lot to ask of a 580EX2 to overpower.

Yes, might want to rely on the reflector as much as you can.

erdons
THREAD ­ STARTER
299 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 19, 2012 22:02 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #5

2 weeks ago I was there and it was a slightly over cast evening unfortunately I wasn't there to photography anyone... Hopefully it will be an overcast day...

5D Mark III|7D Mark II|60D|T3|24-70/f2.8|70-200/f2.8L MK II ||Canon Speedlite 600 EX RT|Canon Speedlite 580EXII|2x Alien Bee B800

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 20, 2012 07:12 |  #6

Being your first, it's best to avoid lighting and reflectors if you can; each which is done more effectively with the help of an assistant. Try to schedule the shoot so that your working in good conditions and forgo the lights and reflectors leaving you more free to focus on the couple, getting good interaction from them, elements of composition, etc.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 20, 2012 09:48 |  #7

Focus on posing.. use your 70 to 200 and look for good lighting. Do not try to create it.
Your 580 can provide some nice flash fill if you need it.
Good luck

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 20, 2012 10:13 |  #8

Well, if they want beach shots at 5pm during a sunny summer day, we can all pretty much imagine what he'll be facing, so "look for good lighting" is kind of like a moot point. :)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 20, 2012 10:14 |  #9

As mentioned above, 5 PM will give worse shots with more boring colors, compared to the "golden hour" before sunset. Push back a little bit if you can.. if they absolutely cannot be available after 6, then that's their choice, but you'll get better photos with better colors around sunset. Make sure they know that more light doesn't necessarily mean better photos.

Take a friend out for a couple hours to the location, and do some test shots. Scout locations, test out different balances of flash and ambient. See how fast the light goes away once the sun hits the horizon! The 580EXII for a little fill light will be nice, but I wouldn't try to use it as the main light, not for your first time anyway.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 20, 2012 10:19 |  #10

nathancarter wrote in post #14605826 (external link)
As mentioned above, 5 PM will give worse shots with more boring colors, compared to the "golden hour" before sunset. Push back a little bit if you can.. if they absolutely cannot be available after 6, then that's their choice, but you'll get better photos with better colors around sunset. Make sure they know that more light doesn't necessarily mean better photos.

Take a friend out for a couple hours to the location, and do some test shots. Scout locations, test out different balances of flash and ambient. See how fast the light goes away once the sun hits the horizon! The 580EXII for a little fill light will be nice, but I wouldn't try to use it as the main light, not for your first time anyway.

Well, it really depends on the location. 5pm doesn't have to be bad for photos. But when you are at a beach, which is pretty much an open area, and when they want beach photos with water in the background at 5pm (this is just an assumption), you are pretty much stuck with whatever lighting nature gives you, whether it's sunny or overcast. You just have to deal with it. If the sun is still blazing, then you will need supplemental lighting.

I agree that scouting the location, perhaps for the worse case scenario, which is when the sun is blazing at 5pm close to the day of the shoot, and figuring things out with regards to flash, etc, will be helpful. If it happens to be overcast on the day of the shoot, well then, there's less to worry about.

davisphotos
190 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 20, 2012 10:43 |  #11

Well, of course they want great shots, I have yet to have a client tell me they're only expecting alright photographs. Don't let your clients control the time of the shoot because they think they know lighting. Explain magic hour to them if you have to, but try to get them closer to 6 or 7. They may think the colors will be brighter at 5, but they will actual be more so later in the day. Use the 70-200 and really focus on posing. If you put the sun behind them, with the Mark2 and the 70-200 you will be able to get pretty good light on their faces.

Maine Wedding Photographer Andrew Davis (external link)
New England Commercial Photography (external link)
Andrew Davis Photography Blog (external link)

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 20, 2012 10:46 |  #12

nathancarter wrote in post #14605826 (external link)
...Take a friend out for a couple hours to the location, and do some test shots. Scout locations, test out different balances of flash and ambient. See how fast the light goes away once the sun hits the horizon!...

As a novice myself, all of the above points are great, but practicing with a friend as noted here will really help you prepare as best you can. Doing this literally prevents the paid session from being your first, and thats a huge help.

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

caught14
194 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 20, 2012 10:59 |  #13

Peacefield wrote in post #14605098 (external link)
Being your first, it's best to avoid lighting and reflectors if you can; each which is done more effectively with the help of an assistant. Try to schedule the shoot so that your working in good conditions and forgo the lights and reflectors leaving you more free to focus on the couple, getting good interaction from them, elements of composition, etc.

+1 on what Peacefield said.

Your gear is just fine. Just make sure you bring more than one card and charge your batter(ies), and shoot in RAW/sRAW1 so that you have more flexibility to make adjustments in post.

Biggest thing I would add is to focus on capturing your client looking good. They will not care how awesome the background is if they don't like how they look. Remember, good lighting trumps good background, so do your best to find flattering light (as best as you can) and capture the couple enjoying one another and expressing emotion.

Most of all just have fun. Easy for me to say, but if you are having fun then your attitude will carry over to the couple. Good luck!

Colling Photography (external link)
Cameras & Lenses - Canon 5DMkII x 3 | 30D | 24
L | 35L | 45 TS | 50L | 85IIL | 135L | 16-35IIL | 24-105L | 70-200L
www.collingphotogaller​y.com (external link)

erdons
THREAD ­ STARTER
299 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 20, 2012 14:50 as a reply to  @ caught14's post |  #14

Great tips guys, I actually will have my brother with me just I case we want to try and use the reflectors. I actually am planning to go to that beach on Friday around 5pm just to see how bad the light is...

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 21, 2012 16:05 as a reply to  @ erdons's post |  #15

Your gear is fine. Bring the 580EXII for sure to use for fill flash as needed. Forget the reflector unless you have an assistant. Try to pose their backs to the sun if possible (depending on the beach orientation) and use fill flash. Keep it simple.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

6,170 views & 0 likes for this thread
Asked to shoot 1st paid E-Session
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.