Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 15 Jun 2012 (Friday) 11:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

White Balance for weddings. How you do it?

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 19, 2012 14:13 as a reply to  @ post 14601553 |  #31

I set it at 5200K with a flash
I set it at 3400K inside a church w/o a flash or if my flash is gelled.

I set it close to the actual K temp for the room and adjust in post.

I rarely use awb. I have photovision calibration targets and take a few shots around the church so i know what it really is.

All that being said.....its almost a complete waste of time.

Brides wear white. A very consistant color source through out the entire day to get a accurate color source. I use her dress 90% of the time and its so close to what the calibration targets are that i continue to ask myself why I mess with targets anymore

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
andrewknowles
173 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 19, 2012 14:35 |  #32

I have the Xrite ColorChecker Passport and many times have found myself wishing I would have used it. I think my biggest thing I need to do more regularly is gelling my lights. I guess I don't really ever know how much to gel!

Andrew J Knowles
Dallas Wedding, Portrait, and Commercial Photography http://www.ajkimages.c​om (external link)
5D MK II, 135L, 35 f/2, 100mm Macro L IS,
(2) 430-EX II, (1) AB-1600s, (2) WL-1600, PocketWizards TT1, (2) TT5s, AC3, (2) AC9s, 22" Kacey Dish w/ grid, Avenger 600 stand & boom, Vagabond Mini

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,564 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 19, 2012 23:23 |  #33

I only use K and use a lot of SHIFTS. After you do it for a while, you can "see" color temperature and guess. I can walk into a room now and guess the K value within a couple hundred degrees. It's just like knowing what power to set your manual flash to. After you do it for a while you just know.

I challenge you guys to do this. It can only improve your photography and eye.

Besides, it's good practice to set your WB properly. AWB SUCKS balls and is off most of the time. Because your WB setting also affects your exposure setting. If you shoot with a WB that's totally off the histogram can be VERY deceiving.

Besides, it speeds things up to not have to set your WB in post.

The whole reason I practice this so much is because of my goal to be strictly a jpeg shooter. I want to be so awesome that RAW is unnecessary and a waste of time and space. jpeg is for pros... hahaha yeah I said it.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 19, 2012 23:48 |  #34

picturecrazy wrote in post #14604063 (external link)
I only use K and use a lot of SHIFTS. After you do it for a while, you can "see" color temperature and guess. I can walk into a room now and guess the K value within a couple hundred degrees. It's just like knowing what power to set your manual flash to. After you do it for a while you just know.

Besides, it's good practice to set your WB properly. AWB SUCKS balls and is off most of the time. Because your WB setting also affects your exposure setting. If you shoot with a WB that's totally off the histogram can be VERY deceiving.

The whole reason I practice this so much is because of my goal to be strictly a jpeg shooter. I want to be so awesome that RAW is unnecessary and a waste of time and space. jpeg is for pros... hahaha yeah I said it.

Ahahaaha,,,,jpeg wedding shooterbw!

set your other card to capture full jpeg and load it first------watch how fast you switch back to raw:eek:.:p

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 20, 2012 00:52 |  #35

andrei1 wrote in post #14583349 (external link)
I saw Jasmine Star video and she says that she use Auto WB on 5d Mark ii. So i had my first wedding last month and after i started pot processing i noticed that around 50% of WB on my pictures is OFF, way OFF and almost all pictures which is done inside the building. Outdoor pics WB is fine. How Jasmine shoot wedding if 5d mark ii WB is terrible??

So i have a question now, how you so it?
Any of this choises? :
1. Use grey card/white to set custom WB
2.Use Kelvin mode on camera and pre set temperature.
3. Use expodisc and other similar items to set WB.
4. use AutoWB - works fine with you
5. .. any other option?

As i see it the only quick option is KElvin. What you do on weddings?

I use Kelvin. You get to know WB as you shoot more. So much easier to edit when you shoot accurately.

Jasmine Star is a great person to listen to for marketing advice, but not so great to listen to on shooting advice. To point, she doesn't process her own images. She outsources it. So why would she care if she shoots accurately?

As noted many times, your AWB is going to jump around. If you want a consistent look, you aren't going to use AWB or you are going to spend more time adjusting it in post. Why save for post what you can get right in camera?

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 20, 2012 01:18 |  #36

Your AWB is indeed going to jump around. That's because there's a handful of factors that often result in the color balance of your shooting environment changing. The folks who are suggesting setting color balance on the scene, on the shoot, seem to be suggesting that we should be swiftly adjusting our cameras to match these changes. As I argued in another thread, I'd rather be focused on the action that is in front of me (I shoot weddings, events), anticipating what is going to happen and getting in place to shoot it, than fumbling with my color balance settings or shooting grey cards every time things change. The 'set your color balance on the scene' side seems to place an emphasis on reducing the photographer's work time. The 'set your color balance in post' side seems to place an emphasis on focusing on the moment at hand.

Q for those who would suggest manually setting color balance or shooting grey cards during a shoot. Suppose you're shooting in a room with a large window on one side; tungsten lighting is the main lightsource when facing the window. Now if you shoot this using only ambient, as you move through this room, the ideal color balance will shift every time you change your direction: shooting in the direction of the window your main light is tunsten; shooting from the window side your main light is daylight). Do you readjust your color balance every time you re-orient ?

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #14604405 (external link)
I use Kelvin. You get to know WB as you shoot more. So much easier to edit when you shoot accurately.

Jasmine Star is a great person to listen to for marketing advice, but not so great to listen to on shooting advice. To point, she doesn't process her own images. She outsources it. So why would she care if she shoots accurately?

As noted many times, your AWB is going to jump around. If you want a consistent look, you aren't going to use AWB or you are going to spend more time adjusting it in post. Why save for post what you can get right in camera?

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

liverpool ­ 1
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 20, 2012 01:23 |  #37

Strange!! I have done my own various tests with kelvin and auto and all the other presets, pretty much auto gets it right all the time. In certain locations of course change your white balance but running and gunning just use presets, are you telling me when the bride and groom exit the church, you go outside for the last exit, you change white balance? No way!!!! No time.. Auto good for most of the day... When you have time then other presets fine

liverpool ­ 1
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 20, 2012 01:25 |  #38

By the way the previous post spot on, must have posted just before me, but dead right my friend...

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 20, 2012 05:16 |  #39

picturecrazy wrote in post #14604063 (external link)

I'm with you. I can now see a WB temp to within a couple of hundred. As once you get used to seeing the WB it is easy. It takes a split second to change it.

Peter

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,564 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 20, 2012 10:26 |  #40

umphotography wrote in post #14604170 (external link)
Ahahaaha,,,,jpeg wedding shooterbw!

set your other card to capture full jpeg and load it first------watch how fast you switch back to raw:eek:.:p

I believe when I reach the most epic and amazing heights of shooting excellence, it will mean I'll finally switch to 100% jpeg.

I shoot RAW+jpeg for all my weddings. 95% of the time the jpeg is perfectly fine. I shoot raw for that stupid 5% that I can't get perfectly right. I do same day slideshows for every wedding based off my jpegs, and they look as good as I'd need my final delivered product to be.

I don't know why people poo poo jpeg so much?

-Lloyd
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 20, 2012 10:38 as a reply to  @ picturecrazy's post |  #41

I have to be honest, If I was good enough to capture the scene without the need for PP, I would shoot jpg. Think about how much time we would save. Most of the work we do is in post.

I feel like every shot would need to have it's K value adjusted though - especially during an indoor reception with DJ lighting. I'm just not there yet.

On the other hand, some photographers have very unique styles, in which case they NEED to shoot raw because they can't obtain those styles with an in-camera processed jpg

Here's a stupid question (showing my inexperience) - what did photographers do about white balance before digital?

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

caught14
194 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 20, 2012 11:06 |  #42

As most have said, shoot RAW. Use AWB only if you want to waste a lot of extra time in post. I use digital targets from Photovision. They have lots of sizes that all double as reflectors. It's very convenient to carry the small ones and quickly snap a shot of that and use it as a reference when you go to a new environment. Using custom WB for weddings has saved me so much time on the backend.

Colling Photography (external link)
Cameras & Lenses - Canon 5DMkII x 3 | 30D | 24
L | 35L | 45 TS | 50L | 85IIL | 135L | 16-35IIL | 24-105L | 70-200L
www.collingphotogaller​y.com (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,564 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 20, 2012 12:24 |  #43

JohnThomas wrote in post #14605976 (external link)
Here's a stupid question (showing my inexperience) - what did photographers do about white balance before digital?

What I did was I chose my film balance. You can get rolls of daylight or tungsten balanced film. Then you put color correction filters infront of the lens and on your lights if needed. For example, if I had tungsten balanced film loaded and the action moved outside before the film roll was done, I'd meter the scene, overexpose by 2/3 stops, then slap an 85B filter on (if my memory serves me correctly) to shift the daylight to be balanced with my film.

Or if I had daylight balanced film, and the light indoors was a mix of window light and tungsten, and it seemed the light was in the 4000K ballpark, I'd throw on an 80D filter (and compensate the exposure of course).

Or I'd use daylight film indoors and severely overpower the tungsten light with flash and use slaves to light the room up again. You needed a lot of flash power to do this though, as my film camera had a max sync speed of 1/60. Today, 1/250 is the norm.

So you see, using K is about ten billion times easier than balancing on film. I find K is a blessing with how easy it is to set. I sold my kodak wratten filter set and was very happy to see it go!

-Lloyd

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,564 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 20, 2012 12:31 |  #44

JohnThomas wrote in post #14605976 (external link)
On the other hand, some photographers have very unique styles, in which case they NEED to shoot raw because they can't obtain those styles with an in-camera processed jpg

Oh but you can! Unless you're plastering your images with gimmicky textures and weird ass effects, you can create your own sets of picture styles and upload them into your camera! It's like having your entire set of lightroom presets inside your cam. You just choose the effect you want right before you take the picture and bam! Nice jpeg with your preset already applied! You can make all kinds of stuff like cross processing, vintage faded, high contrast, selective channel BW and sepia, partial desaturation, etc... Canon jpeg shooting is VERY powerful. The thing is, 99% of people on POTN who bash jpeg shooting don't have the first clue of the tools available to them to totally rock out some amazing jpegs. Nor have they even tried it. If you're interested, get the EOS picture style editor.

-Lloyd

brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 20, 2012 12:48 |  #45

Regarding the RAW stuff...we do *everything* in Jpeg. We might switch to RAW in the future, simply to see if it gives us a bit more headroom for WB, exposure, NR...but right now, we rarely run into jpeg issues...especially once we switched to using the same camera (twin D700s). Here's our portfolio (external link) of our two most recent edited weddings and engagement sessions. And I definitely agree that pretty much anything you can do with RAW can be done with jpeg.

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

sponsored links

18,467 views & 0 likes for this thread
White Balance for weddings. How you do it?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.