Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 21 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 13:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can't find a basic strap

Tim182
23 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 21, 2012 13:58 |  #1

I am desperately looking for a basic strap. Something along the lines of the original strap on the Rebel but without the logo and in plain black. Ideally it should be a little longer but it shouldn't be too much wider.

Here comes the difficult part, the seller needs to offer international shipping. I just haven't been able to find a decent strap for cheap here in South Africa...

Canon 600D
EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II (desperately looking to upgrade)
EF 50mm f/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
Luma Labs Cinch + Membrane Connector | GorillaPod Hybrid | Lowepro Exchange Messenger bag

sponsored links
Beachcomber ­ Joe
466 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 21, 2012 14:47 |  #2

Both Tamrac and Op Tech make straps similar in size to the Canon with the bonus of quick detachment. Most major USA sellers stock them.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 21, 2012 14:54 |  #3

Beachcomber Joe wrote in post #14612576 (external link)
Both Tamrac and Op Tech make straps similar in size to the Canon with the bonus of quick detachment. Most major USA sellers stock them.

+1 for both of these brands. They have a variety of configurations, textures - neoprene, rubber texture, etc. - and some nice disconnect features. They're a good value for the money and perform as advertised.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 21, 2012 14:56 |  #4

I'm a big fan of the Crumpler Industry Disgrace.

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

nub4sh
188 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 21, 2012 15:00 |  #5

Luma Labs Cinch is a great product. I used it with my 7D+grip + 70-200 all day without having a strain in my back or shoulder. Though its pricey but worth it.

5D Mark 3 | 7D + gripped | Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS II | Canon 35 f1.4L | Canon 50 f1.8 II

Capeachy
427 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 21, 2012 17:07 |  #6

+1 for Crumpler Industry Disgrace. Avoid the hot colors :)

Photography is the art of exclusion

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,843 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jun 21, 2012 19:25 |  #7

Another vote for the Luma Labs Cinch. Like nub4sh, I use a membrane connector from them so I can use my quick release tripod plate mounted on the bottom of the camera and my 70-300L. I have also adapted some brass swivel type hooks normally used for marine applications to fashion a DIY quick release so I can take the Cinch off when I'm using a tripod. Though they are metal, they are very smooth and don't nick up the camera.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

tomcat7886
Goldmember
3,277 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 21, 2012 20:23 |  #8

Mike wrote in post #14612613 (external link)
I'm a big fan of the Crumpler Industry Disgrace.

Capeachy wrote in post #14613154 (external link)
+1 for Crumpler Industry Disgrace. Avoid the hot colors :)

:cool: + me as well/ ;)

Canon T2i | 18-55mm IS Kit | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC | Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoommmmm! | Black Canon Edition Crumpler Industry Disgrace
Crumpler on Sale: BLACK https://photography-on-the.net ...ghlight=industry+di​sgrace

Tim182
THREAD ­ STARTER
23 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 22, 2012 01:37 |  #9

I really like the chinch. Very expensive so will have to sleep over it if it is really worth it!

Canon 600D
Luma Labs Cinch + Membrane Connector | GorillaPod Hybrid | Lowepro Exchange Messenger bag

agphotography
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 22, 2012 02:24 |  #10

The wapiti strap is super durable, very low profile and can be ordered in any length. I love mine!

Check it out at wapitistraps.com

-Abram-
www.goglanianphoto.com (external link)
500px (external link) / Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

Tim182
THREAD ­ STARTER
23 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 22, 2012 06:55 |  #11

Has anyone tried using the cinch with the membrane connector? http://luma-labs.com/products/m-connect (external link)

EDIT: Just saw your reply:

Phoenixkh wrote in post #14613659 (external link)
Another vote for the Luma Labs Cinch. Like nub4sh, I use a membrane connector from them so I can use my quick release tripod plate mounted on the bottom of the camera and my 70-300L. I have also adapted some brass swivel type hooks normally used for marine applications to fashion a DIY quick release so I can take the Cinch off when I'm using a tripod. Though they are metal, they are very smooth and don't nick up the camera.

Do you by any chance have any photos? Does the cinch work well with the membrane connector?

Canon 600D

Phototeacher
262 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 22, 2012 08:13 |  #12

Basic old school; the Domke Gripper strap.

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 22, 2012 08:26 |  #13

Phototeacher wrote in post #14615597 (external link)
Basic old school; the Domke Gripper strap.

I've used those for years, and like them. I've tried a Think Tank strap--advantage? It's sticky on both sides, unlike the Domke which is sticky on one. (That's an advantage for Domke if the strap rests on bare skin, like a t-shirt with a low neck.)

I intend to try a Wapiti strap too.

I've used a Black Rapid strap for about a year; not using it now. I don't like their carabiner. The BR strap is very comfortable, and I like the way that the camera is suspended. When I find an improved 'biner, I'll do that...

And Ken Rockwell recommends a basic Leica strap on his site. Surprise! In the US it's only about $49.

Dave

advaitin
Goldmember
4,624 posts
Gallery: 434 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Jun 22, 2012 08:32 |  #14

For some news pros this is the best strap in the world--not the best looking, just the best working--will not slip off a shoulder, distribute weight nicely if hung around neck. They ship internationally.
http://www.upstrap-pro.com/ (external link)

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

schy
126 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 22, 2012 09:56 |  #15

Sorry for raiding your thread OP, but i am also in need of a better strap..

Just wondering who has the black rapid straps or any shoulder straps for your dslr.. Wondering if they are really good? Doesn't it bother you walking around with the camera onyour side? Like when you walk, do you just leave it there to 'hang' on your side or do you still tend to somewhat hold the camera while it is there on your side? Also, is it safe to have a speedlight hanging upside down with the camera?

Also, do you guys have any other recommendations for other straps? Is a 'better' neck strap much easier than the shoulder straps

Gripped Canon 60D / 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 / 50mm f1.8 / 430ex II / 24-105mm f4L / 70-200mm f2.8L IS II

sponsored links

2,527 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can't find a basic strap
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.