Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 21 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 16:17
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Which bag is better suited for my needs?"
Tenba Messenger Daypack
33.3%
Lowepro Fastpack 350 AW
66.7%

9 voters, 9 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help Me Decide - Tenba Messenger Daypack vs Lowepro Fastpack 350 AW

janejoe
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 21, 2012 16:17 |  #1

I've exhausted my search for the perfect bag and have narrowed it down to these two:

Tenba Messenger Daypack (external link)

Lowepro Fastpack 350 AW (external link)

I have a Canon 5D Mark II with Canon battery grip attached at all times. I also have a 24-105 and a 70-200 f/4 lens and a 580EX II speedlite.

I want to be able to carry around both my 17" MacBook Pro, my iPad, and my camera listed above. My most important feature is that it can be converted into a regular daypack/backpack for non photo use.

I'm leaning towards the Tenba Messenger Daypack, but I've read that it will be a tight fit with the grip attached to the 5D Mark II and lens in the camera insert area, and that it can really make the camera insert bulge out. I also don't like that there's no rain cover. However, I do prefer the ample pockets on the Tenba, and I love that I can convert the Tenba daypack to a regular backpack.

I like the Lowepro Fastpack 350 AW because it will fit all of my camera gear comfortably, has a rain cover and a tripod holder. I'm not sure if it will fit my iPad. I don't like that it has a smaller compartment, has less pockets for storing miscellaneous things. Most importantly, I'm not sure if I can convert this bag to a regular backpack for non photo use.

Given that you know what I want to carry, and understand that I would like to convert the pack for non photo use, which one would you recommend to me? Please vote in the poll and discuss. It would also be extremely helpful if anyone who owns either of these bags provide input on which one you think would work better for me given my situation.

Thank you!

sponsored links
eekthecat
134 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 21, 2012 17:21 |  #2

The Lowepro is not convertible for your purposes... The top compartment is generously sized though. Your ipad won't fit in the top compartment, but will (obviously) fit in the laptop compartment.

Judsonzhao
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 21, 2012 18:56 |  #3

you may want to take a look at tenba shootout small/mini/ultralight and kata minibee ul 111

Fly me away.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 21, 2012 19:27 |  #4

Look at Dakine's stuff if you want to convert it for normal use.

I have the 350 and while its alright for carrying all your gear on trips, its not particularly comfortable when fully loaded. And its a bit too stiff and bulky to convert due to all the padding.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 21, 2012 20:33 |  #5

i have the smaller sized tenba and it carries my 7d+24-105, my 10-22 and my 50 f/1.8. it gets pretty heavy as the day goes on. just a heads up.

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Viva-photography
Goldmember
1,442 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 21, 2012 21:04 |  #6

I have the Tenba bag, and I love it. (Although I feel it's over-priced)

jaredholtphoto.com (external link)
Canon 5D Mark II// Canon 85mm f/1.8//Sigma 35mm f/1.4//Canon 70-200 f/4L

janejoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 21, 2012 21:40 |  #7

Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions! Keep them coming!

treck_dialect wrote in post #14613870 (external link)
i have the smaller sized tenba and it carries my 7d+24-105, my 10-22 and my 50 f/1.8. it gets pretty heavy as the day goes on. just a heads up.

Do you use a battery grip on your 7D? If yes, does it fit in the camera insert?

Viva-photography wrote in post #14613983 (external link)
I have the Tenba bag, and I love it. (Although I feel it's over-priced)

Can you tell me if the Canon 5D Mark II with a battery grip will fit in the camera section? What camera and gear do you store in the bag, and does it (comfortably) fit with a battery grip? Also, will an iPad fit in the upper compartment?

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 22, 2012 02:23 |  #8

janejoe wrote in post #14614150 (external link)
Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions! Keep them coming!

Do you use a battery grip on your 7D? If yes, does it fit in the camera insert?

Can you tell me if the Canon 5D Mark II with a battery grip will fit in the camera section? What camera and gear do you store in the bag, and does it (comfortably) fit with a battery grip? Also, will an iPad fit in the upper compartment?

no i dont but it seems like it would fit. however, it would bulge i think. i have the smaller sized tenba messenger.

well hello
Flickr (external link)

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 22, 2012 02:25 |  #9

have you seen the f-stop bags? they have inserts that you can take out so you can use them for non-photo use.

well hello
Flickr (external link)

Mr ­ B ­ Pix
492 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 22, 2012 11:29 |  #10

treck_dialect wrote in post #14614905 (external link)
have you seen the f-stop bags? they have inserts that you can take out so you can use them for non-photo use.

^^^
Exactly what I was thinking

My Gear

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 22, 2012 15:22 |  #11

Have you considered warranty?
LowePro has provided excellent customer service and warranty for me. No questions asked.
Tenba? I bought from a large local retailer. A seam on my Tenba shoulder strap opened up. I took the bag back, showed the retailer and got a shrug. Vistek.
Hope others have better luck than I.

Dave

CaptB412
208 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 22, 2012 18:40 |  #12

I have the Tenba Messenger bag and like their products. They seem to be fairly expandable. The 5D MK II w/grip fits in their Messenger Bag (I know it is not the same as the daypack), but I do like their quality

5DS R | EOS-R | 5D Mk III | EOS-M5 | G.A.S. Addict | Many Lenses | Flashes |

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 22, 2012 20:09 |  #13

I doubt with you'll fit a gripped DSLR body into the Tenba day pack camera section, all the photos show an ungripped APS-C size body and smaller zoom lens, a 5dm2 gripped is huge by comparison.

The gripped 5dm2 might fit in the top though

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

Steensgaard
45 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 23, 2012 07:56 |  #14

I have a fastpack 350 and have been using it as my primary bag for the last 2,5 years.
I find that it is very comfortable to carry and it has a belt around the waist as well as a small clip crossing the chest which keep the straps from sliding off the shoulders. I like that a lot.

I use it to carry 5d mk2 gripped, 24-70L, 70-200 f4L, 85 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 35 f2, youngnuo 565 (probably similar to the speedlite 580 in size), a set of extension tubes (all of this fits in the main compartment).

I am a family guy :) so I primarily use the top compartment to carry non-photography stuff like diapers, clothes etc. but it also contains spare batteries, extra CF cards, air blower etc.
Sometimes I use the top compartment to house 2-3 extra flashes and 4 cactus v5 triggers.

It's the perfect photo-bag for me because it can hold all of my gear as well as quite a few personal items and I can carry it all day long (I have on multiple occasions carried it through the entire day when visiting disney land or something similar)

The bag is not ideal for changing lenses because you have to put the bag down to do this safely, but in every other aspect I find that this bag is close to ideal as a photo-bag, that can house all my gear, offer fast access to the camera and still be quite comfortable to carry.

However

I can't see how you could use this bag as a regular backpack. The main compartment is more or less useless for carrying anything other than camera gear and that leaves you with just the top compartment which isn't all that big.
Having said that, I do sometimes bring this bag with me when I go to work, because I can load my computer in the back of the bag and pencils and a few books in the top compartment and the keep the main compartment loaded with my camera gear, giving me the opportunity to take photos in the wonderfull morning light while on my way to work.

I have the old version which isn't AW but I assume the new version is more or less the same when it comes to size.

5d mk2/450d both gripped
24-70L, 70-200 f4L, 85 f1.8, 50 f1.8, Sigma 35 f1.4, 55-250 IS, 18-55 IS
Yongnuo YN-565EX, YN-560 II, YN-460 II and Cactus V5 triggers

janejoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 23, 2012 15:55 |  #15

treck_dialect wrote in post #14614905 (external link)

Thanks for your suggestion. I saw the f-stop bags, but didn't like the look of them and certainly not the price either. Was there a specific one you had in mind?

2mnycars wrote in post #14617384 (external link)
Have you considered warranty?
LowePro has provided excellent customer service and warranty for me. No questions asked.
Tenba? I bought from a large local retailer. A seam on my Tenba shoulder strap opened up. I took the bag back, showed the retailer and got a shrug. Vistek.
Hope others have better luck than I.

Great point. I was reading on the Lowepro website, and although they have a longer warranty time than Tenba, it seems they will only fix the bag for very specific purposes, whereas Tenba seems to have a more lax 5 year warranty policy.

CaptB412 wrote in post #14618145 (external link)
I have the Tenba Messenger bag and like their products. They seem to be fairly expandable. The 5D MK II w/grip fits in their Messenger Bag (I know it is not the same as the daypack), but I do like their quality

Thanks for sharing this! The camera insert in the Tenba messenger bag is the exact same as in the Tenba photo daypack. Do you find it to be a comfortable/acceptable fit with the 5D Mark II with grip attached? Also, how do you have it laying in the bag (horizontally or vertically)?

Steensgaard wrote in post #14620239 (external link)
I have a fastpack 350 and have been using it as my primary bag for the last 2,5 years.
I find that it is very comfortable to carry and it has a belt around the waist as well as a small clip crossing the chest which keep the straps from sliding off the shoulders. I like that a lot.

However

I can't see how you could use this bag as a regular backpack. The main compartment is more or less useless for carrying anything other than camera gear and that leaves you with just the top compartment which isn't all that big.
Having said that, I do sometimes bring this bag with me when I go to work, because I can load my computer in the back of the bag and pencils and a few books in the top compartment and the keep the main compartment loaded with my camera gear, giving me the opportunity to take photos in the wonderfull morning light while on my way to work.

Thanks for sharing your opinions! They are definitely helpful. :) Do you know if you can fit an iPad in the top compartment? If not, can you fit a laptop and iPad simultaneously in the laptop compartment?

I'm always open to additional opinions from others who own either of these bags.

sponsored links

7,256 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help Me Decide - Tenba Messenger Daypack vs Lowepro Fastpack 350 AW
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.