Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 21 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 09:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canada side photographers where do you print?

TheoM
27 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 21, 2012 09:21 |  #1

I am located near Toronto Ontario and this question goes out to all the Canadian Photographers, where do you order your prints from. I find going through WHC, Millers or Mpix the shipping is just too much to lose each time you place an order. Not to mention the duty fees for larger prints. Looking to reduce the cost of shipping for my bottom line and would appreciate any suggestions, thanks.

sponsored links
Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 21, 2012 10:06 |  #2

I would have quickly said Silvano's, before they closed up shop 6 months ago. I'm also looking for a place in Toronto or Ottawa.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 21, 2012 11:06 |  #3

For regular prints, check out www.posterjack.ca (external link). Recently ordered some print for my portfolio and pleased with the quality.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

altitude604
Goldmember
1,665 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 21, 2012 11:49 |  #4

Tony_Stark wrote in post #14611611 (external link)
For regular prints, check out www.posterjack.ca (external link). Recently ordered some print for my portfolio and pleased with the quality.

+1

I use them for posters and have had excellent results with a few 20x30s I've ordered from there.

For the fine art framed stuff I use a local shop in Sydney, NS.

Erik - Three Miles Final (external link)
- Gear List -

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 21, 2012 11:52 |  #5

altitude604 wrote in post #14611821 (external link)
+1

I use them for posters and have had excellent results with a few 20x30s I've ordered from there.

For the fine art framed stuff I use a local shop in Sydney, NS.

Quick question, I only ordered 11 x 17 prints, but the prints were not as a sharp as I had wanted. Dont get me wrong, the quality is really good, but compared to other prints I have ordered in the past from other people, these just seem a tad soft. My files are sharp though ;) Just wondering!

EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

pulsar123
Goldmember
2,139 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 21, 2012 13:08 |  #6

I do my printing at a local COSTCO, and it seems to be of good quality. On their web site they provide profile files for their specific store printers (regularly updated), separately for glossy and matte. I use Photoshop to convert to the printer profile and DPI, save as a TIFF file, and bring it in person to local COSTCO. They are pretty cheap (I think 3$ for 12x18"). They'll probably ask for professional photographer credentials if you print in bulk, or obviously professional kind of photography.

6D, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, 135L, 70-200 f4L, Laowa 15mm 1:1 macro, 50mm f1.8 STM, Samyang 8mm fisheye, home studio

altitude604
Goldmember
1,665 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 21, 2012 13:59 |  #7

Tony_Stark wrote in post #14611836 (external link)
Quick question, I only ordered 11 x 17 prints, but the prints were not as a sharp as I had wanted. Dont get me wrong, the quality is really good, but compared to other prints I have ordered in the past from other people, these just seem a tad soft. My files are sharp though ;) Just wondering!

Did you output your files for the medium that they were to be printed on?

I've never printed anything that small. The 16x24s that I've had printed came from a print shop in Newfoundland on canvas.

- Gear List -

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 21, 2012 15:09 |  #8

altitude604 wrote in post #14612361 (external link)
Did you output your files for the medium that they were to be printed on?

I've never printed anything that small. The 16x24s that I've had printed came from a print shop in Newfoundland on canvas.

Was there a specific process for each medium? I ordered matte prints, regular paper. If there is, I will change it for next time!

EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

ibmprmgr
79 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 21, 2012 15:21 |  #9

TheoM wrote in post #14611213 (external link)
I am located near Toronto Ontario and this question goes out to all the Canadian Photographers, where do you order your prints from. I find going through WHC, Millers or Mpix the shipping is just too much to lose each time you place an order. Not to mention the duty fees for larger prints. Looking to reduce the cost of shipping for my bottom line and would appreciate any suggestions, thanks.

Hav eyou checked out GTA Imaging, I use them and the quality is great and the prices are also great.

Canon 5D MKII - Gripped | Canon EOS 60D - Gripped | EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS Mk II | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 50mm f1.4 USM | 580EX II x 2

whitesell
361 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 21, 2012 16:29 as a reply to  @ ibmprmgr's post |  #10

If it's been a while since you ordered from WHCC, you might want to take a look at them again. I order most of my prints from them. They now have a very reasonable shipping cost that is only 10% of the order. So if your order is $200, you only pay $20 for shipping, plus GST. There are no additional brokerage fees or shipping charges.

The delivery is very fast, too - I usually get regular prints and wraps in my hands about four days after ordering. Books take a bit loger, maybe another day or two.

Overall I'm very happy with WHCC.

Regards,
Jim

Edmonton portrait photographer (external link)
Google Business Photos Edmonton (external link)
Gear list

altitude604
Goldmember
1,665 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 21, 2012 20:40 |  #11

Tony_Stark wrote in post #14612661 (external link)
Was there a specific process for each medium? I ordered matte prints, regular paper. If there is, I will change it for next time!

canvas and matte will need a bit more sharpening than printing on a glossy medium.

if you export in Lightroom there is a setting for it. :)

also! for printing in Toronto you can check these fellers... http://www.torontoimag​eworks.com/printing_di​gital.html (external link)

- Gear List -

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 22, 2012 10:29 |  #12

I get all my stuff done through here

http://www.highlanders​tudios.ca/ (external link)

Your camera is alot smarter than the "M" Zealots would have you believe

Jethr0
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 30, 2012 12:43 |  #13

In Ottawa I have used Allegra and have had excellent results.

http://www.allegraotta​wa.com/ (external link)

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
12,518 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 30, 2012 13:10 as a reply to  @ Jethr0's post |  #14

For regular prints (I usually order metallic) up to 16x20, I order from Adoramapix.com - their quality is excellent, shipping is second to none, well packaged, and they have great sales once per quarter or so. My orders are usually under $150 so I never get charged sales tax on the shipment, which is another saving, and their shipping is inexpensive compared to a lot of others. For canvas or mounting on board, I always use Posterjack and have had great results. For printing on metal, I have started using aluminyze.com in New York and their quality is excellent. I also like their mounts better than Posterjack's for the metal prints.

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link).

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 01, 2012 01:13 |  #15

Do your prints get rolled up from Adorama? I hate ordering prints in general and having them rolled :(

EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

sponsored links

3,862 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canada side photographers where do you print?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.