Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jun 2012 (Friday) 21:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D, 5D II, 5D III gallery observation

sf_loft
212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 22, 2012 21:02 |  #1

I know I won't be making a lot of fans by saying this, but from my observation there seems to be a lot more WOW or "better" photos posted in the 5D and 5D II unite threads compared to the 5D III. Not saying that there aren't any in the 5D III thread, but it seems like a lot more amateurs wanting to get the next best thing (I'm one of those :oops:) while the more experienced and pro photographers feel that their equipment works for them well, so why change it. I had the 5D II and I still think that it's a great camera despite the AF. I look through my photos and see nothing different and can't even tell which ones I've taken on the II or III.

Perhaps it's the fact that those threads have been around longer. I apologize and don't mean to disrespect anyone who owns a 5D III and posted something here. They are all good photos and I'm just talking about those photos which I do a double take on because it's just that good.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III & FUJIFILM X-T1 mirrorless

35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II |135mm f/2L | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro
Benro C2691T Travel Angel | GP-E2 GPS | EF 1.4x III
FUJINON 23mm 1.4 | FUJINON 35mm 1.4 | FUJINON 56mm 1.2

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,298 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 22, 2012 21:08 |  #2

The 5DIII has been in users hands no more than a couple of months. A lot of the images you are seeing to this point are shots taken while users are in exploration phase of learning the new camera. Since half the reason shots in the 5D and 5DII are because of the dedicated photographers who use them it wont be long until you see that sort of wow factor shots showing up in the 5DIII threads.

sf_loft
THREAD ­ STARTER
212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 22, 2012 21:11 |  #3

gonzogolf wrote in post #14618687 (external link)
The 5DIII has been in users hands no more than a couple of months. A lot of the images you are seeing to this point are shots taken while users are in exploration phase of learning the new camera. Since half the reason shots in the 5D and 5DII are because of the dedicated photographers who use them it wont be long until you see that sort of wow factor shots showing up in the 5DIII threads.

I agree... I'm still getting adjusted to the slight under exposure on the 5D III that I encounter from time to time in situations where my 5D II would just knock out. Not sure if it's the camera or me, but I need to observe my histogram more on this body. I also did at some point post a stupid test shot of boxes in that thread so I'm guilty of being a noob.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III & FUJIFILM X-T1 mirrorless

35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II |135mm f/2L | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro
Benro C2691T Travel Angel | GP-E2 GPS | EF 1.4x III
FUJINON 23mm 1.4 | FUJINON 35mm 1.4 | FUJINON 56mm 1.2

flickr (external link)

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 22, 2012 21:12 |  #4

^exactly, right now the III users are still on the learning process thus sharing a mix of snapshots and final works.
whereas most c and II users are mostly sharing their final images

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

Bumgardnern
977 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 22, 2012 21:23 |  #5

I would not read anything into it. The 5DIII has not been around long. As more pros start to adopt it as a full time camera, and as they are able to release images you will see more and more files.

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 22, 2012 21:29 as a reply to  @ Bumgardnern's post |  #6

You're just comparing a mature market to a new market. I think when you have a few noobs in a new market it tends to make one slightly biased. A mature market has so many users that the noobs pretty much go unnoticed.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jun 22, 2012 21:30 |  #7

It's still in the dogs/cats/flowers/duck​s stage right now. The original 5D2 thread had that too in the beginning.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,298 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 22, 2012 21:35 |  #8

On a related note, with the recent drop in prices there are a lot of new 5D owners posting in the 5D thread. Lots of less than stunning shots have been showing up. They are so eager to join the thread they are posting shots of stuff on their desk, or in their yard.

flyfish1
673 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 22, 2012 21:42 as a reply to  @ Todd Lambert's post |  #9

Simply put, both are great cameras. If I knew i would benifit from the MKIII I would've bought it. But since I mainly shoot landscapes I passed on the MKIII. With that said,it is a great body.

5D Mark II - 17-40 f/4L - 24-105 f/4L IS - 70-300L IS - 85 1.8 - RRS TVC 33 Tripod - RRS BH-55 Ball Head

hb96tuner
191 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 23, 2012 01:34 as a reply to  @ flyfish1's post |  #10

I have only owned my 5D3 for about two weeks now, and in the past two weeks I have had the chance to turn it on a couple of times, play around with the settings for a few minutes and click off about 20 or so shots....and thats about it! I am not even at the exploration phase yet...just been so dang busy with work and home life to get the chance to turn the camera on.

But from what I have seen so far the 5D3 appears to be miles past the 5D2! Although I have only had the chance to view the shots on the camera so far...for the past few weeks I have also had to jump from a PC to a Mac (which is completely new to me...errr!) and I have also had to upgrade from the Elements 9 to the CS5...so the experimental stage of my 5D3 may take a little longer than expected due to all this new software computers and buttons!

One positive though is that I will be going on holidays in a week and cannot wait to break out the new camera and begin shooting!!!

5D3 | 5D2 Gripped | S100 | 580EXII | EF70-200L IS II 2.8 | EF 24-105L | EF100-400L | EF 50 1.8| Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye | Pentax MX 35mm | Tefnon 75-300mm | Vivitar 28mm Wide angle | Magnicon 3x Teleconverter | Pentax AF-16 Flash | Asahi Opt Co. 50mm

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,120 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 23, 2012 02:45 |  #11

If you aren't shooting action, there is not that big a difference between the three, IMO. The 5Dc actually has better color quality in the warm zone (oranges and reds), and so has the best looking skin tones of the three. I traded up to the II and then the III, but frequently feel nostalgic for the classic.

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

h14nha
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 23, 2012 05:16 |  #12

Someone with a 3 posted some bird of prey flight shots the other day, which frankly were very poor. What suprised me though, experienced posters who I had a high regard for, were praising the pictures :(

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

RSMarco
Goldmember
1,006 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 23, 2012 05:49 |  #13

Well for me this is my first step into FF and like stated above, I'm getting use to the experience. My shots probably look amateur and that's because I am an amateur. I agree there are a lot of fantastic shots in the 5D and 5DMKII threads but these cameras and users have had years to evolve etc.

I'll keep experimenting and trying to develop my photography into my own style.

Mark

blonde
Buck Naked Floozies
8,405 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 23, 2012 07:13 |  #14

h14nha wrote in post #14619915 (external link)
Someone with a 3 posted some bird of prey flight shots the other day, which frankly were very poor. What suprised me though, experienced posters who I had a high regard for, were praising the pictures :(

I wouldn't read too much into it. POTN was always a lot more "positive" and you will almost never see real critique unless you specifically ask for it.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 23, 2012 10:45 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

Mookalafalas wrote in post #14619724 (external link)
If you aren't shooting action, there is not that big a difference between the three, IMO. The 5Dc actually has better color quality in the warm zone (oranges and reds), and so has the best looking skin tones of the three. I traded up to the II and then the III, but frequently feel nostalgic for the classic.

Exactly right at lower ISO. Very hard to tell the images apart. When ISO gets above 1600, the 5d2 and 5d3 pull away.

sponsored links

4,263 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D, 5D II, 5D III gallery observation
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.