Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jun 2012 (Friday) 08:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What camera are you using?

Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 22, 2012 16:49 |  #16

Eric wrote in post #14617731 (external link)
Ahh yes the age old complement, wow, that camera sure takes great pictures. My mother tell me that all the time. Thanks ma

Lol, been there, done that.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

sponsored links
MDavey
516 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2009

Jun 22, 2012 16:56 |  #17

"What kind of pictures does that camera take??"

A7s | 135L | Sigma 30mm ART | Canon 28mm 2.8 | Canon 15mm
Twitter @MDaveyy | Instagram @MDaveyy | Snapchat @MatDavey
mdaveyphoto.com

Accessoire
Goldmember
1,119 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 22, 2012 17:04 |  #18

"wow, you must have a really nice camera!"

*sighs*...."yeah, its alright"

KCMO ­ Al
Goldmember
1,115 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 22, 2012 17:05 |  #19

People will sometimes express curiosity but very seldom.
Another angle: I was shooting in San Antonio near the Riverwalk. I was using my medium format 645 system with a large zoom lens. I was in the back of the pottery/glass shop where they had displays in the windows. Mind, these were displays intended for viewing from the inside, not the front displays. Since I had a large "professional" camera, the rent-a-cop came out and told me I could not photograph the building. I told her I was not a pro and was on public property. She insisted that I leave, but was backing up the entire time. I ignored her. One other time I was challenged at a local park because I had a tripod. Again, not because I was obstructing anything, but because I looked too "professional."

Film: Leica M-4, Elan 7E, Rolleiflex 2.8f, Pentax 645 -- Digital: Canon Pro-1, EOS 5D Mk III
EOS Lenses: Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX - Canon EF 17-40 f4.0L - Canon EF 24-105 f4.0L - Canon EF 35 f1.4L USM - Canon EF100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM - Canon EF100 f2.8 Macro - Other stuff: MR 14EX - 430EX - 580EXII - ST-E2 - TC1.4x - TC-80N3

i-G12
Wat?
2,273 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 22, 2012 17:10 |  #20

Accessoire wrote in post #14617800 (external link)
"wow, you must have a really nice camera!"

*sighs*...."yeah, its alright"

Lucky that cuz my skills suck! :mrgreen:

GeoffSobering
740 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 22, 2012 17:10 as a reply to  @ post 14617731 |  #21

Curiously, I've had a couple of people ask me about my equipment in the past month or so; I can't remember the last time before that...

Both recent queries were novices looking for information about what I choose and why to help getting started assembling a kit.

http://moving-target-photos.com/ (external link) - My Stuff

h4ppydaze
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 22, 2012 18:26 |  #22

I've gotten that from clients before... usually ones that are enthusiasts. Sometimes they even have 'better' (but usually less extensive) gear, but they must be paying me for a reason, right? :)

amfoto1 wrote in post #14616179 (external link)
When people ask that.... just say "Mmmmm, that meal you made sure tastes great. What pan are you using?" That makes just about as much sense.

That's actually a great analogy. I usually do look at peoples' cookware/cutlery though... :lol:. I'm very much a 'kitchen' person, I think it's by far the most important space in the house. I do cook a lot and I know that there are plenty of things you can't do without good equipment. I challenge you to make a good omelette with a bad pan... it's just not going to happen :D ... There are always the right and wrong tools for the job. Same goes for cameras of course. A good cook will have good (or at least serviceable) cookware, and a good photographer will also have the right tools to do his job. However, the key is that they will always make a better product than someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

Bumgardnern
977 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 22, 2012 21:56 |  #23

When people ask me this I tell them what camera I am using.

I have always felt that your choice of tools is important. I have 35mm, 645, 4x5 and digital cameras because they each fit a different niche. I use my 4x5 under different circumstances than I use my 35mm. The tool has to match the job.

People have this same conversation in every field. I know painters that talk in depth about the canvas, paints, and brushes they use. I know guitar players that will do this same thing about strings, cables, picks etc. At least in the commercial world it is best to use the best tool for the job.

I can't replicate the shallow depth of field, sharpness and the movements that my 4x5 camera offers with a DSLR. My Canon DSLR will never have the color depth of a Hasselblad with a digital back. You have to pick the right tool for the right time. I think that is an important choice. You can also make an artistic statement by your choice of tools...

Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 22, 2012 22:14 |  #24

Bill Ragosta wrote in post #14616783 (external link)
This is absolutely true but my point is that I'm not shooting world class gear and making awesome photos (at least not yet). I'm shooting decent gear and taking OK to good photos, which happen to be better than what many of these people have ever taken. The presumption that if they run off and buy the gear that I have (or the next decent photographer that they see on Facebook) that they will be able to take great photos is a bit silly.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery. ;)

Adam - Upstate NY:

tharmsen
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 22, 2012 22:20 |  #25

KCMO Al wrote in post #14617804 (external link)
People will sometimes express curiosity but very seldom.
Another angle: I was shooting in San Antonio near the Riverwalk. I was using my medium format 645 system with a large zoom lens. I was in the back of the pottery/glass shop where they had displays in the windows. Mind, these were displays intended for viewing from the inside, not the front displays. Since I had a large "professional" camera, the rent-a-cop came out and told me I could not photograph the building. I told her I was not a pro and was on public property. She insisted that I leave, but was backing up the entire time. I ignored her. One other time I was challenged at a local park because I had a tripod. Again, not because I was obstructing anything, but because I looked too "professional."

I absolutely hate California and their laws. I was walking around an outdoor mall over lunch (there for work - not photography related). I had a 5D and a 24-70 lens. I was taking a picture of a water fountain and you would have thought I just mugged an elderly lady. Rent-a-cops emerged from every direction to pounce on the terrorist wielding the deadly Canon in a public place. I was obviously up to something sinister.

I was lectured about the laws regarding taking photos in public places and asked to leave immediately. I put the camera in it's bag and went on about my business after asking them if they were detaining me. They of course said no, so instead of listening to their ego driven anti-freedom ramblings about public safety, I walked off mid-sentence.

I was born in Long Beach and I will never - EVER - return to that state for anything other than the occasional business trip.

Gear List

mesakid
364 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 22, 2012 22:49 |  #26

I usually hear, "that's a nice camera."

https://www.youtube.co​m/that1cameraguy (external link)
A9|A7RIII|A6500|A6400|​A6300|A6000

crimsonblack
Goldmember
2,052 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 23, 2012 18:49 |  #27

mesakid wrote in post #14619175 (external link)
I usually hear, "that's a nice camera."

+1^

My friends never ask. They know very little with taking photos except with their Iphone. Most of the people I meet on the Las Vegas Strip using Nikon and Canon DSLRs have no clue what they bought.

| 7D Gripped | 28-135 f/3.5-4.6 | 50 f/1.8 || --- Sony F717 digital (infrared) --- Bunch of Film Stuff:- | Nikon & Nikkormat | 50/28/70-150/400 | B & J 4x5 large format | Mamiya C220 |
BurntEffects.com (external link)

sponsored links

5,731 views & 0 likes for this thread
What camera are you using?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.